The MT-07 Forum

What's this bolt thread size for ram mount?

JamesJones

JamesJones

Hi crew.

I'd like to mount my phone just above the factory dash. It's going to be protected by a smaller windshield. To do this, I've got a Quicklock Ram Mount for my existing QuickLock Case.

I'd like the find a RAM Mount that mounts to either of the two bolts pictured. 

I'm wondering if anyone's done exactly this before and might know an exact part that suits. Not tied to a brand name! 

Edit : So in the process of doing more research I just found the answer. So I may as well put it here for future reference.

Details and specifications of the RAM® 9mm Angled Bolt Head Adapter Ball Base, Part No. RAM-B-272U. UPC: 793442102721. Additional information includes...

is a straight bolt onto #1 marked on my diagram. 

Then this 

Details and specifications of the retail packaged RAM® Double Socket Arm, Part No. RAM-B-201U-C. UPC: 793442002670. Additional information includes...

is long enough to clear the dash in portrait *or* landscape, and if windscreen installed might clear a tight space between dash/plastic.  If you're running a shorty / no screen and just want it sitting fair flush above the dash, go a shorty arm : 

Details and specifications of the retail packaged RAM® Double Socket Arm, Part No. RAM-B-201U-A. UPC: 793442002649. Additional information includes...

And this is the quad lock mount in your choice of tab colours 

RAM-Ball-Armband_600x600_1801-007_1200x.

Integrate Quad Lock® with your existing motorcycle RAM mount using the Quad Lock® 1” Ball Adaptor Mount. Ride with confidence knowing that your phone is secured to...

Aaand it looks like you can install their USB charger as a sandwich on the ball mount too 

Moto-USB-Charger_1024x768_01_1200x.jpg?v

The Motorcycle USB Charger integrates with your Motorcycle Mount or 1" Ball Adaptor to provide charging to your device while you ride.

Which is waterproof. So I know what I'm doing this week. 

95666467_790553528140388_8508959207041531904_n.jpg

Edited by JamesJones

• Premium Member
Littlebriar

The Quad Lock system is awesome. I've got it on both motorcycles, my bicycle and my car. It fits neatly into the Ram Mount system. I mounted mine on the mirror bracket as shown. The cover that must be used on the phone is high quality and not too thick so it still fits easily in your pocket. The wireless charger option is wonderful because you can hard wire your charging cable into the system and tie down the loose cable.

quadlock-small.jpg

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

JamesJones

I couldn't find anything that suggested the wireless charger option was waterproof / integrated with a locking tab. Do you use it on your bike? 

• Premium Member
Littlebriar
16 minutes ago, JamesJones said:

I couldn't find anything that suggested the wireless charger option was waterproof / integrated with a locking tab. Do you use it on your bike? 

There is no locking tab on the wireless charger system. You simply twist the phone in place. It's solid and I've never had a problem with it getting loose. The charger is designed to fit their car mount so I had to purchase a ram mount plate that I modified to attach the charger. Just needed a hand drill to poke a hole in it.

The wireless charger looks like the joints and parting lines are nice and tight. Since the charger cable is fixed and the mount is also fixed, I don't see why you couldn't add some silicone sealer to the connection.

Steve, 2017 Yamaha FZ-07, 2016 BMW 1200RT, 2019 Ducati Monster 1200s - Harbor Beach, Michigan

JamesJones

Hmm. A little bulky it seems, but you've convinced me to hunt one down and have a look. That'd be great for rides in less than great weather where I don't want electricity anywhere near the charging port. Though I tend to move phone to the tank bags clear top window at that stage. 

JamesJones

Thanks mate. Looks like you can recycle the stock bolt fortunately, it's apparently long enough to use with the flange I linked. 

stickshift

I bought one of these from Germany, bolts straight up to the dash mount:

navi-kogel-mt07-3.jpg

BRUUDT navigation mounting ball with bracket for the Yamaha MT-07  CNC Machined from high grade 7075 aluminium and...

There are also 3D print designs out there, but I don't think they'd be rigid enough or survive well in a hot summer.

JamesJones

Nice once @stickshift. The mount I listed seems to have no problem staying secure, bolts into the same spot, and is a very commonly available "Ram mount part". As it's an angled bracket, it ends up putting the ball in functionally the same place. I'm in Aus and international postage right now is terribly slow, so I found the RAM parts locally!

Your option is great if you want the piece-of-mind of having a double bolt system though. 

• Like 1