The MT-07 Forum

Clutch lever/cable issue - what'd I do wrong?

Stryprod

This forum is beyond helpful!

Bought a standard length CRG RC2 clutch lever and installed with what seemed like no issues. Later removed it to try a friend's shorty version, but noticed the top part of the plastic end of the cable (don't know technical name) was a little chewed up.  Swear I installed with care. Maybe a defect? Odd.

Tried best to reform the plastic end, looked good, applied Yamalubezall and placed in the shorty lever hole with care and test rode for 2 hours. The shorty was not for me and would install the standard again. Removed and the plastic end top was really chewed up now. See image below.

Anyone had this issue? Did I somehow mess up the first install and it got worst with every shift?

I ordered a replacement cable but don't want to jack that one up if its a CRG issue. Thoughts? 

Polish_20200521_195219345.thumb.jpg.f3ef298aabfba1cc5ee9dd5d72684999.jpg

Edited by Stryprod
grammar

It's not a bad idea to check to make sure that the the cable is moving freely and that the clutch pull force is reasonable.  I had a clutch cable that was fraying and pull was a little hard. I noticed in the 2 weeks that I was riding that way waiting for a replacement that the plastic piece got wrecked.

56 minutes ago, Spatt said:

Every one in my barn looks like that.

Thanks for responding. What's amazing is in ~700 miles with the OEM, was fine, or at least not noticeable. Seems sad it'd go that fast with aftermarket, but good to hear it's not uncommon.

52 minutes ago, clinical said:

It's not a bad idea to check to make sure that the the cable is moving freely and that the clutch pull force is reasonable.  I had a clutch cable that was fraying and pull was a little hard. I noticed in the 2 weeks that I was riding that way waiting for a replacement that the plastic piece got wrecked.

Thanks for the response.  Bike only has 800 miles. Cable seems to move fine and with ease. Maybe you need to be real gingerly with these things. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe you need to be real gingerly with these things. 

Nah don't even think of it.  You're fine.  

2 minutes ago, clinical said:

Nah don't even think of it.  You're fine.  

Out of curiosity, is your clutch lever OEM or aftermarket? If aftermarket, what brand?

1 hour ago, Spatt said:

Every one in my barn looks like that.

Oh, forgot to ask, from OEM or aftermarket?  If aftermarket, what brands? BTW, love your threads!

13 minutes ago, clinical said:

They're no-names:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-FZ07-FZ09-FZ10-FJ09/dp/B01LNEGSHU

They are fine, but have a bit of free play (up and down not from cable tension).  They also had a sharp edge in the path of the cable (which is what cause the cable I mentioned to eventually fray after 10k miles).  

Ah okay. I had looked at those as well. 10k not too bad. Thanks for responding again!