The MT-07 Forum

MT-03 or Mt-07 for beginner

BenDog

Hey, so i'm just getting into riding and am looking for a good first bike, never ridden a motorbike before.

I'm thinking of either getting an MT-03 or a Mt-07LA (Australian LAMS approved version). I wondering whether owning a MT-07 as a first bike is too much, by this I mean will i be doing accidental power wheelies every five seconds.

Cheers. 

1 hour ago, BenDog said:

Hey, so i'm just getting into riding and am looking for a good first bike, never ridden a motorbike before.

I'm thinking of either getting an MT-03 or a Mt-07LA (Australian LAMS approved version). I wondering whether owning a MT-07 as a first bike is too much, by this I mean will i be doing accidental power wheelies every five seconds.

Cheers. 

Not 5 seconds.

If you're an avg size bloke of avg mechanical skill and dexterity you'll have no trouble adjusting to the 07, and have bike left over to grow into. If, on the other hand, you need a little extra time and effort to pick up on semi technical things like fly fishing or motorcycling then perhaps the 03 is a better starting option. Followed by it's resale/trade at some point when you're ready to move to a more suitable machine at a later date.  

Both are fine machines and quite suitable to new riders. 

BLR

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

You might consider a used R3, Ninja 300, etc. that you could ride for a year or so to get some experience.   You could probably  sell it for about what you bought it for and then get a non-LAMS FZ-07 when you have some experience.  If you drop a used bike you will not feel anywhere near as bad as if you dropped a new bike and making mistakes on a less powerful bike often has fewer consequences.  Good luck and let us know what you decide.  

• Like 2

There is a new MT-03 so might there be good value 2nd hand ones to start you off? That said, I think the 07, although a little heavier, is perfectly manageable and it is a relatively light bike. It is as happy dawdling as it is giving thrills. Your right hand determines your form of progress. There is no feeling of top-heaviness with the 07.

Just do it! 

I've always believed a better beginner bike is a 200-250cc dual-purpose bike.

Easy to handle, easy-to-control power, about as light weight as you can get, and not much to break in case you drop it.

The idea of shooting high and trying to "grow into it" never made sense to me. Take your time and learn how to actually ride and control the bike.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, YZEtc said:

Easy to handle, easy-to-control power, about as light weight as you can get, and not much to break in case you drop it.

The idea of shooting high and trying to "grow into it" never made sense to me. Take your time and learn how to actually ride and control the bike.

Agreed, I can't count the number of videos where I've seen and have seen with my own eyes someone on a bike with too much power for them and they rev it up and pop the clutch only to watch the bike shoot away from them into a brick wall or parked car. But of course they just had to have their 600 super sports to "be in" with the crowd.

• Haha 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
5 hours ago, YZEtc said:

I second that, and besides, dual-sports are just plain fun.

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Premium Member
Eastern Kayaker

You will save several thousand Australian dollars if you go with the MT-03, which is a great bike to start out on. Why spend all that extra money on a LAMS version (neutered) of the MT-07. When you are ready to move up to a bigger bike, you will have numerous options, one being the HO version of the MT-07. Good luck and let us know what you decided. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I own both an FZ-07, as well as an R3 (same platform as the MT-03). If it's your first bike, I think the MT-03 would be a better fit. The 321cc  motor/transmission is really smooth, as well as more forgiving to learn the clutch on than the FZ/MT-07. I've been riding for over 40 years. I've owned everything from a Goldwing, to a "liter-bike". The R3 brings a smile to my face every time I ride it. VERY easy bike to ride, and just plain fun!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

topazsparrow
1 hour ago, mt7fan said:

Depends if you start alone or with an instructor. I started with an instructor, so no problems with mt07.

I would also add that anyone that has at least some background on dirtbikes will very likely be fine on an MT-07 as well. Particularly the LAMeS version.

If you've not ridden motorbikes, then I'd also recommend the smaller bike, USED, because there's a 99% chance you'll have some "altercations" as a beginner.  No point in boogering up a new bike. 

Get some safety classes.

Fully pad up, or start on dirt, or both. 

Take it easy. 

RIDE A LOT.  Again, RIDE A LOT

The first season is by far the most dangerous.  Won't be long and you'll be trading the smaller bike for the 700.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
On 6/5/2020 at 5:56 PM, BenDog said:

Cheers. 

Really impossible for us to suggest whats right for you. The FZ07 is my first street bike, I bought it after simply sitting on it because immediately it just felt "right", I fit the bike.  FWIW I have a solid understanding of my abilities and limitations overall, I knew I would ride it responsibly, it felt manageable under me. I'm 5'8 170lbs and its still a lot of bike to handle.  My wife had a SV650 and it was way too much for her, I thought she'd take to it like I did mine but that wasnt the case and she'll be stepping way down to a 125cc. She gets distracted which worries me...shes bailed twice....on our electric scooters.

Sure this fz is torque-y and if you want to flip it or wrap yourself around a pole immediately after taking off you definitely can do so.  I ride mine always with the utmost respect for what it is and its been fine, but again thats just me. Theres a lot of power here for first time riders to be sure.

Take safety classes, they are invaluable. Research research research, every tidbit of info could very well save your life and at the very least make you a better rider with practice, always baby step it. I looked deep into the horrific potential consequences of riding, I found it sobering to say the least, it keeps my throttle hand in check and my head is always on a swivel. 

I meet a lot of people. My hours spent speaking candidly with firefighters, emts, police, MC riders whove crashed and had full bones removed, gotten skin-grafts, severe brain damage etc etc certainly contributes to my more reserved riding style. Sometimes knowing these things, it all makes me question why I still do it.... its just so damn fun, an alternate state of being and dare I say it, yolo.

Gear up! and I mean FULL gear from head to toe. (I highly recommend an airvest) Please do not buy budget gear, that last thing you want is for some cheap gear disintegrating as soon as it touches asphalt....this article alone made me spend literal thousands on what is IMO "proper" legitimate gear from reputable brands/sources. Buy the very best you can afford, thats what CC's are for. ;) The high end gear I own does not give me a false sense of security to ride more aggressively but more so that I stand a better chance of minimizing how much I may or may not mangle myself if that crash occurs. I like my bones limbs appendages and skin in the state and configuration they currently are.

Never forget people on the road are idiots and many vehemently dislike MC riders. Prepare yourself mentally and physically every time.

Motherly finger waving rant over. ;)  Buy smart, ride smart, you can always upgrade....whatever you buy, I bet you'll love it.

0ddd306fe26068c5a589b3d3791336ea?s=240

and one more just for fun-sies...the available info is endless ;)
landscape-1456499819-motorcycle.jpg?resi

As illustrated by the SUV driver who nearly ran me over. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.