The MT-07 Forum

K-Tech Razor-R Lite Prelaod

clinical

I just installed this.  Once on the bike I noticed I can't adjust preload with the included wrench.  The clearance around the shock is too little and I can start turning the collar but only a tiny amount.  It's kind of like using a 6 point socket  in a tight spot, when you really need a 12.    I can't be the only one with this issue?  Is everyone going the screwdriver/hammer route?

Thanks

P.S. How many clicks rebound is a good starting point for spirited commuting?

2 hours ago, clinical said:

I just installed this.  Once on the bike I noticed I can't adjust preload with the included wrench.  The clearance around the shock is too little and I can start turning the collar but only a tiny amount.  It's kind of like using a 6 point socket  in a tight spot, when you really need a 12.    I can't be the only one with this issue?  Is everyone going the screwdriver/hammer route?

Thanks

P.S. How many clicks rebound is a good starting point for spirited commuting?

Room is scarce but it can be done, albeit in small twists. You might try another style of adjustment tool if your shock collars permit such as the rod style or the spanner style. Try from both sides of the bike. 

A good starting point for rebound is in the middle of the range. Find a representative 10 mile loop of road to test on. Run the route then make a 2 click change and run it again. Repeat in the same direction 2 clicks at a time until you notice an obvious negative result. Reset to the starting point and conduct the test sequence clicking in the opposite direction until you reach negative results. Now you have a really good idea of settings. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, first time adjusting rebound!

Where's your lower collar sitting in its range?  When I received mine the lower was pretty far up and the upper was almost all the way up with zero preload.  I think this might be the source of my clearance issue.  If I move the lower and upper down, I think it'll help with clearance for the preload wrench.

Edited by clinical

I’m interested in this, it’s my next mod.

Edited by RobZilla

Just now, clinical said:

Thanks for the tip, first time adjusting rebound!

Where's your lower collar sitting in its range?  When I received mine the lower was pretty far up and the upper was almost all the way up with zero preload.  I think this might be the source of my clearance issue.  If I move the lower and upper down, I think it'll help with clearance for the preload wrench.

That would help. Remember to back the set screws out before twisting on the collars, failing to do so would make the job tougher ; )  Then set your preload so you have somewhere between 1-1 1/2" sag in back with you aboard. 

• Like 1