The MT-07 Forum

The 7 at 7k elevation

goshe22

So I recently moved out to New Mexico, coming from sea level and let me tell you bike has lost what feels like a tremendous amount of power, especially mid-band. It's an unfortunate result of the high elevation here, around 7k feet. Twin turbo and NOS definitely next mod. All kidding aside anyone else have the lovely experience of moving up in elevation? Will the tears eventually stop?

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I don't know much about fueling on these bikes, but I know who does.....  www.2wheeldynoworks.com. They are a supporting vendor on this site. That have a mail-in ECU flash service. Very good, very professional, and FAST turnaround time! They are running a "COVID-19 special" special at the moment for $249. That's the cheapest I've ever seen. Many people on this forum have used them, and everyone seems very happy with them- I know I am.....

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Ha yeah I have a 2WDW flash and reached out to the very knowledgeable folks there first. They confirmed that unfortunately less oxygen at higher altitudes simply equates to less power. Just seeing if anyone else has taken their bike to altitude and their experience with it

On 6/14/2020 at 8:42 PM, goshe22 said:

Ha yeah I have a 2WDW flash and reached out to the very knowledgeable folks there first. They confirmed that unfortunately less oxygen at higher altitudes simply equates to less power. Just seeing if anyone else has taken their bike to altitude and their experience with it

I remember seeing someone on this forum who had the opposite experience- they moved from a higher elevation to a lower elevation and noticed an increase. 

Found the link >> 

Edited by Stryprod
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stryprod said:

I remember seeing someone on this forum who had the opposite experience- they moved from a higher elevation to a lower elevation and noticed an increase. 

Found the link >> 

Thanks for linking that thread! 🍺 Yeah it's crazy how much of a difference it makes. I'll probably be taking it to the mountains soon, get the full Vespa experience.

• Premium Member

Turbo it... ^_^

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

topazsparrow

I live in an area with a lot of great mountain riding which means a ton of elevation gain and loss depending on the destination and route.

Can confirm, the elevation REALLY sucks the life out of this engine. I've got FTECU active tune and I assume it's adapting to the AFR along the way, but less air means less fuel, even when it's optimally mixed == less power.

Only way around it is Forced induction or a bigger engine.

Buying a bike with a bigger engine will be more cost effective in the long run (resale, reliability and generally a more premium bike). But I've been telling myself that about every vehicle I buy for the last 10 years though: "stop wasting money on upgrades, just buy the next model/trim up". It's never worked yet. lol.

Edited by topazsparrow
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

I live in an area with a lot of great mountain riding which means a ton of elevation gain and loss depending on the destination and route.

Can confirm, the elevation REALLY sucks the life out of this engine. I've got FTECU active tune and I assume it's adapting to the AFR along the way, but less air means less fuel, even when it's optimally mixed == less power.

Only way around it is Forced induction or a bigger engine.

Buying a bike with a bigger engine will be more cost effective in the long run (resale, reliability and generally a more premium bike). But I've been telling myself that about every vehicle I buy for the last 10 years though: "stop wasting money on upgrades, just buy the next model/trim up". It's never worked yet. lol.

Buy a street triple you say? 😁