The MT-07 Forum

Alternator whine in helmet speakers...

Mr.Puss

• Premium Member

Hey guys old and new,

Im using a handlebar mounted android phone with bluetooth connection to a Sena 10c with iasus xSound3 helmet speakers and Im getting annoying alternator whine....in fact Im getting this accel/decel whine directly to the speakers even with zero power/connection.

Safe to assume this is emf/emi? Any suggestions for a possible fix? Perhaps wrap speaker housings and wires in emi/emf tape? Perhaps this is just the compromise we make when using a MC/helmet speaker set-up?  All info I find is car/wired speaker related.

Much appreciated.

Stay safe out there.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member

Good to see you back on the forum!  It's been a while. I hope you've been well. 👍

I've not had that issue with my Sena 10 & 20s when I use BT with my phone. I don't currently use my phone for music but I have for short time in the past without this issue. My phone was in my pocket, not mounted. Have you tried it unmounted just to verify that''s not an issue somehow?

I'm a Luddite and use a line-out from a digital (FLAC) music player via coiled cord to the Sena for my music. But my phone is still BT and I experience no issues.

Good luck resolving your issue I know it can be irritating. 🤞

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

I have not had any issues with my 20S and iPhone but I also keep my phone in my pocket.  Maybe it is far enough away from the alternator that there is no interference. 

• Like 1

Its a stator not an alternator.  (sorry had to).  😕

Hard to believe your getting noise even will nothing connected.  Does it do it with everything in your pocket/not touching anything and standing next to the bike?

Edited by geophb
  • Like 1

I use those "cheap" BTS2 comm units from China ( wonderful) and have my phone bar mounted as well. Even my old bikes with AC only charging systems don't interfere. I've never heard of radio interference with Bluetooth before. Before I started cooking up homebrew remedies I would contact the manufacturers of your comm and speaker units. I'm thinking one of their noise filters must have failed or something. 

I mean, I don't think your phone can even transmit electrical interference noise via Bluetooth if it happens to pick it up. I would suspect the electronics in your helmet first. You shouldn't have to be shielding this stuff at home. 

• Like 1

Good to see you back and alive & well. Wish I could help you with your issue.

• Like 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
On 6/17/2020 at 11:12 AM, DewMan said:

Good to see you back on the forum!  It's been a while. I hope you've been well. 👍

I've not had that issue with my Sena 10 & 20s when I use BT with my phone. I don't currently use my phone for music but I have for short time in the past without this issue. My phone was in my pocket, not mounted. Have you tried it unmounted just to verify that''s not an issue somehow?

I'm a Luddite and use a line-out from a digital (FLAC) music player via coiled cord to the Sena for my music. But my phone is still BT and I experience no issues.

Good luck resolving your issue I know it can be irritating. 🤞

Thanks! We've been working far too much.. but covid forced us to re-assess. 

Annoying thing is Im getting the whine with nothing hooked up, the helmet speakers are just picking it up somehow.  I'll try wrapping the wires and speaker housings in emi foil. 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
On 6/18/2020 at 7:24 AM, Beemer said:

Good to see you back and alive & well. Wish I could help you with your issue.

Thanks Beemer! Still in one piece ...physically anyway, been working far too much, thankfully Covid has forced us to re-evaluate our lifestyle so with any luck I'll be riding much more and annoying forum members just like old times.

Hope alls well on your end.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 6/17/2020 at 2:47 PM, shinyribs said:

I use those "cheap" BTS2 comm units from China ( wonderful) and have my phone bar mounted as well. Even my old bikes with AC only charging systems don't interfere. I've never heard of radio interference with Bluetooth before. Before I started cooking up homebrew remedies I would contact the manufacturers of your comm and speaker units. I'm thinking one of their noise filters must have failed or something. 

I mean, I don't think your phone can even transmit electrical interference noise via Bluetooth if it happens to pick it up. I would suspect the electronics in your helmet first. You shouldn't have to be shielding this stuff at home. 

Funny/annoying thing is the whine is being captured by the speakers with nothing attached/hooked up.  😕 

• Premium Member
On 6/17/2020 at 2:32 PM, geophb said:

Its a stator not an alternator.  (sorry had to).  😕

Hard to believe your getting noise even will nothing connected.  Does it do it with everything in your pocket/not touching anything and standing next to the bike?

Ahh a stator... no worries, always open to learn these things.

I have a hard time believing it myself to be honest. I'll have to do some experimenting. 

• Global Moderator

you guys close the shop? 

back to your issue...  speakers powered on but not connected you get a whine in them? def sounds like an issue on the headpiece side 
maybe contact the manufacturer?  see what they have info wise

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Hey Sork! Our lease expired just as Covid shut everything down which also luckily coincided with our purchase of a permanent brand new commercial space. Less costly to pay a mortgage than rent where we were....???! So aside from all the stuff that requires a real man with certs (plumbing and electrical) Ive been busy reno-ing and putting all the finishing touches on that...theres a lot of touches in 2000sqft but thankfully we're 99% done.

Speakers...yeah damn its annoying for the price I paid for these stupid things.  I could try wrapping the wires and housings with emi/emf tape but before I do any modding I wrote the company so we'll see what they have to say.  

Hope alls well !

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Mr.Puss said:

Hey Sork! Our lease expired just as Covid shut everything down which also luckily coincided with our purchase of a permanent brand new commercial space. Less costly to pay a mortgage than rent where we were....???! Plus of course youre just flushing a ton of money renting. So aside from all the stuff that requires a real man with certs (plumbing and electrical) Ive been busy reno-ing and putting all the finishing touches on that...theres a lot of touches in 2000sqft but thankfully we're 99% done.

Speakers...yeah damn its annoying for the price I paid for these stupid things.  I could try wrapping the wires and housings with emi/emf tape but before I do any modding I wrote the company so we'll see what they have to say.  

Hope alls well !

I assume you're running the latest firmware on the Sena? 

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, DewMan said:

I assume you're running the latest firmware on the Sena? 

I should update it but regardless the noise is there even when Ive completely disconnected them. I feel like Im taking crazy pills.