The MT-07 Forum

Bar End Mirrors Popping Out

SDSD-ride

Hi Everyone,

I have the woodcraft clip-on handlebar kit installed on my '15 FZ07 and am having a hell of a time keeping my bar end mirrors in place. I had a different set of bar end mirrors on the stock bars and didn't really have much trouble. With the new handlebars, I got some new bar end mirrors (link below) that I like better aesthetically. The problem is that the bar-end inserts (that the mirrors mount to) end up wiggling out of the handlebars if I spend much time with the revs over ~5k. It affects my left mirror much more than the right and I'm pretty sure that I under-tightened it the first time I went out. Since then I've tried tightening it another 3 times or so and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

Any ideas of what to do? I've been told to use a strip of aluminum cut from a can as a shim, but haven't really been able to get that to work (just spins inside of the bar).

I'm using only the 'inner' expanding sleeve as the larger one didn't fit (presumably for 1-inch bars). Should I try and get another set of the sleeves in case installing+removing+installing weakened them in some way?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079KBDC9Q/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Premium Member

From the amazon pictures, it looks like it would benefit from some thin innertube rubber wrapped around the insert prior to inserting them into the bars to give it a a tighter fit that's less likely to slip out.

Or getting better quality inserts.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

No offense but get this serious safety issue fixed and fast. Either replace the defective ones you have with quality pieces or at least the bar end adapters with ones that work like these from Rizoma or another reputable source and get them from a forum vendor like BellissiMoto.  You've already tried shimming them so move on, they're not worth fixing. I don't care how cool they look. If I ever looked down and my mirrors were anywhere but they should be they'd be gonzo. Mirrors made with aluminized acrylic instead of glass will scratch the first time you wash/wipe them and be useless anyway.

My $.02 but it's your neck.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I use these rizoma bar-ends with rizoma mirrors, super solid grip and worth every penny.

I concur with mossrider, I also recommend not cheaping out on safety related parts. Spend your money once on quality from a reputable dealer.

Amazon is absolute crap, you never know what youre getting especially with all the knock off trash.

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the Rizoma rec (wasn't sure that it was worth the extra money), I've basically been avoiding riding the bike except short shakedowns every time I've made an adjustment. I don't understand how guys ride without mirrors or with BS ones flopping in the wind.