The MT-07 Forum

Foot peg vibration after Exhaust Change

gunnersaurus7

gunnersaurus7

Hello,

I have a 2016 FT07. I just changed the stock exhaust out and upgraded to the Akra Racing Line (Carbon) S-Y7R2-AFC exhaust (the all black one). I changed everything from headers down to muffler. I tuned it with the FTECU bench as well. Used a fuel map off the DynoJet power commander website. First time ever doing something like this but normally I know how to follow instructions and take it slow (or so I at least believe). I turned it on and everything was great.

The only issue is that I am now getting like a buzzing in my right foot peg. I know I torqued things to exact amount requested. I know all the bolts I took off went back on (I counted). I also feel it in the brake lever when I rest my foot on there at idle. It continues through all the gears too. Although I guess there are some few resonant frequencies where it doesn't give any vibration, but I think for me that is the exception.

Any advice? Maybe something I overlooked? I searched on the forum, and am also searching on the subreddits but can't seem to find anything with the same issue, unless I am using the wrong verbiage maybe.

Ride safe! Thanks,

Edited by gunnersaurus7

Doesn’t the Akro remove the stock mounts and replace them with caged nuts to rigidly mount the exhaust?

its been a while since I installed one. I can’t recall honestly but I know one of the Akro systems does. 

Some of the exhausts do resonate a bit at different frequencies and it’s just part of it.  

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

gunnersaurus7
10 hours ago, Spatt said:

Doesn’t the Akro remove the stock mounts and replace them with caged nuts to rigidly mount the exhaust?

its been a while since I installed one. I can’t recall honestly but I know one of the Akro systems does. 

Some of the exhausts do resonate a bit at different frequencies and it’s just part of it.  

Yes they have their own bracket. The rear set mounts onto the bracket provided by Akra. So you are spot on.

Even though I only rode for half an hour, the buzzing made it feel like my foot was going numb. I understand there would be a different rumble, the rumble is fine. But the buzzing is certainly a bit concerning.

Thanks,

I have the same exhaust on my 2016, I to have a slight buzzing but it’s more noticeable at lower revs when getting on the throttle, when the revs are 4K+ I don’t feel it. 

topazsparrow

If the exhaust is mounted metal to metal, you're effectively anchoring your engine next to your foot pegs.

Is there no bushings available to isolate it a bit where it mounts underneath? My Akra Ti does not have this issue, but the racing line might forego any bushing to save weight or something.

Edited by topazsparrow

gunnersaurus7
20 hours ago, Jord said:

I have the same exhaust on my 2016, I to have a slight buzzing but it’s more noticeable at lower revs when getting on the throttle, when the revs are 4K+ I don’t feel it. 

Yeah, its weird, when I go past I think 5/6 K I don't feel the vibrations either. But I am not often in that range.

19 hours ago, topazsparrow said:

If the exhaust is mounted metal to metal, you're effectively anchoring your engine next to your foot pegs.

Is there no bushings available to isolate it a bit where it mounts underneath? My Akra Ti does not have this issue, but the racing line might forego any bushing to save weight or something.

Nothing that came with the exhaust. But there is some rubber in between the metal on the chain side where the bike is screwed in. I think that's the only side that has rubber to "dampen".

Wondering if I need a throttle body sync?

topazsparrow
2 hours ago, gunnersaurus7 said:

Wondering if I need a throttle body sync?

When's the last time you did it?

I've had mine since 2016 and I've done it twice. Both times it was out marginally, but nothing absurd.

gunnersaurus7
1 hour ago, topazsparrow said:

When's the last time you did it?

I've had mine since 2016 and I've done it twice. Both times it was out marginally, but nothing absurd.

I see. I haven’t done it since I got the bike two years ago.

Being said, I wonder if thats the issue or something else. I will definitely look around to see if a shop would perform the sync.

topazsparrow
51 minutes ago, gunnersaurus7 said:

I see. I haven’t done it since I got the bike two years ago.

Being said, I wonder if thats the issue or something else. I will definitely look around to see if a shop would perform the sync.

You should definitely do it if you can. It's not too hard with some prep setup and it can make a big difference.

Likewise for your valves if you're approaching your service interval on those (25k miles or so)

gunnersaurus7
9 minutes ago, topazsparrow said:

You should definitely do it if you can. It's not too hard with some prep setup and it can make a big difference.

Likewise for your valves if you're approaching your service interval on those (25k miles or so)

Gotcha. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll certainly look to doing that.

I guess being in Ontario, don’t get to ride as much and also broke my hand last year in an unrelated accident. So only have about 7000kms on the bike so far.

Airbornedeth

I have the same issue after putting my aftermarket exhaust on. (For reference, my bike had about 100 miles on it and it was 2 weeks after I took it off of the showroom floor.) It does mount metal to metal, so maybe find some rubber washers/grommets and it will help "some", but probably not enough to really notice. At least that is my theory. I don't really notice it any longer, honestly. 

gunnersaurus7

I definitely tightened it after warming up the bike a bit. Seemed to help.

Definitely a whole different feel in the bike. I am sensing I will get used to it. My long ride meant I slipped in and out of noticing it.

Thanks all for helping and suggesting! I truly appreciate it.