The MT-07 Forum

First few days with my MT-07

seven

I posted last week that I signed papers for my 2019 MT-07 in Ice Flou but at the time I hadn't passed my MSF course. I had the bike delivered to my home on Friday afternoon, passed my MSF test Friday evening and got my license on Saturday morning. Since then I have put on a little over 300km just tooling about the city and a small amount of highway.

I am really enjoying this bike and it is so easy to ride. I was nervous/curious on what it would be like because I had never ridden anything before (besides the Yamaha 200TW that I used for the MSF course). But immediately the MT-07 was easier to ride and control. I do see what other members have talked about with the significant engine braking and some initial abruptness in throttle tip-in but so far things have been going well.

One thing that completely surprised me was the mechanical noise, in particular the ticking from what I suspect is just valvetrain. I know it sounds stupid but it is just something I never really thought about. I guess I just expected that I would hear the exhaust a lot more. Of course in hindsight it all makes sense, it is the same kind of noises I hear on my car when I pop the hood, and with a bike I am basically sitting on the engine so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Shawn

Welcome to the Forum! The MT definitely has a decent amount of mechanical noise, from the valves to the chain. I noticed valve noise after about 5k miles, but when I switched to synthetic oil it wasn't as loud. Yamaha engines, from my experience have more noise than other makes I've owned in the past. If the noise is excessive to you, you could always take it into the dealer and have them listen to it. The stock exhaust is very quiet tho, you'll hear just about every noise there is on the bike. An aftermarket exhaust will make them less noticeable.

Edited by 1down5up

Yeah I don't think the noise is excessive, but I will mention it once the bike goes in for the 1000km first service. I would like to try different oil but I decided to get the extended warranty on the bike and it has the requirement of using the Yamalube oil and filter...which I am fine with for now.

Yeah I have thought about a different exhaust and have heard some awesome ones but whatever I get needs to still be reasonably quiet. I would love to get the throaty rumble but keep the volume pretty tame, at least while at light throttle inputs so I don't piss off people when I am in residential areas.

Airbornedeth

Welcome to the club! Enjoy the ride.  

I bought mine about a month ago, and have put in over 1000 miles since then. I ride every chance I get.