The MT-07 Forum

Hey Bellissimoto! Question about rear lift chain adjuster/bobbin set up

klx678

I forget who I needed to contact here on for this...  I know it's Paul, but I don't remember his ID here.

Is it possible to flip the Gilles chain adjusters to get the bobbins higher so it doesn't lift the rear of the bike as high when using a swing arm stand?

It is a heck of a lift with the stand I use and I wondered if this was a possible fix or if it puts stress on the set up making for bad things to happen.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

I'd adjust my rear stand if possible or get a different one if necessary since the stand would be right in your way if you were to flip them. I would think the spools would be too high to be useful anyway. Harbor Freight has a cheap one, I have a couple kicking around here I use so I don't have to wander far to find one when I need one. They're not Pit Bulls but they work just fine for light duty.

😀

• Global Moderator
20 hours ago, klx678 said:

I forget who I needed to contact here on for this...  I know it's Paul, but I don't remember his ID here.

Is it possible to flip the Gilles chain adjusters to get the bobbins higher so it doesn't lift the rear of the bike as high when using a swing arm stand?

It is a heck of a lift with the stand I use and I wondered if this was a possible fix or if it puts stress on the set up making for bad things to happen.

i hasve the amazon venom stands, and with the gilles adjusters installed the normal bobbin side down the rear tire lifts maaaaybe 1" off the ground if that

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I appreciate the input from all. 

I realize I can go to a shorter stand or modify the one I have, but that isn't answering the question.

My question is about if the actual plates can be flipped side to side, an easy and free change if possible.  Plus they won't be hanging down low.  The design allows that they can be flipped, but will the posts and all still hold up when up on the stand.  It is a thought I had and wondered if possible and figured I'd ask.  Again, a freebie that would work for me if possible.

Edited by klx678

• Global Moderator

i dont believe so. the swingarm isnt exactly symmetrical might put too much stress on the locks as they are just expansion type locks and will likely pull out when trying to actually lift the bike. 

admittedly the axle adjuster may hold it in, but its still likely to be unstable

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

But the way they lock it puts force on both top and bottom, the top moving, the bottom is stationary.   From an engineering standpoint it might be possible... until I looked and found the two OEM adjusters are not the same part number, so probably not quite the same size.   I should have looked there first.   I may go measure the OEM parts for an idea of what and why.  Shouldn't be difficult to figure out... used to do tooling inspection among other stuff.

• Like 1

bellissimoto
On 7/24/2020 at 2:01 PM, klx678 said:

To answer your question...I'm not entirely positive you can flip them.  I haven't tried it personally.

I'd go with how Gilles intended them to be designed and installed, and use a different stand in this case.

- Paul

• Premium Member
On 7/24/2020 at 4:01 PM, klx678 said:

Try it, and let us know how it goes!

• Like 1