The MT-07 Forum

New FZ07 Owner Orange County CA

Sam B Free

What up every1! I just sold my ninja 300 bought . 2015 FZ07 with 8k miles.

Just changed the oil, coolant, spark plugs, air filter, and tires. The bike came with the caged painted kawi green but i repainted it metallic iron.

The stock exhaust is the only thing that i dont like about the bikes appearance but i noticed full systems are pricey. What would be the best exhaust option for $350-400? 

Let me know what you guys think!

On a side note, are we only allowed to add 1 or 2 pictures in a post? It wont let me add any more than 2.

20200809_123340_HDR~2.jpg

20200809_114544_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Sam B Free
  • Like 2

Welcome to the club!

The system doesnt limit picture quantity, only file size. If you resize the photos you could upload more 

• Like 1

Nice score and upgrade! Looks like it already has some pretty cool mods that save you some time and $. With the money you saved on those mods you can spend it on the exhaust system. From what I’ve seen, $300-$400 budget would get you a quality slip on and not a system. Maybe look for a used one? Less common but I’ve seen a few pop up for sale. 

• Like 1

Welcome! Nice looking FZ mate, probably feels a whole lot better than that 300. Honestly these bikes sound pretty dang aggressive once opened up and paired with a full exhaust, very grunty down low and a lil tamer in the high end. The exhaust are pricey, but worth it. Dump the extra few hundred and try to find something like an Akra, TBR, or Yoshi system. You wont be disappointed with a full system vs a slip on. After the exhaust make sure to pair it with a 2wdw flash on that ECU to really get everything out of what you install.

• Like 1

@Sam B Free Good-looking bike. And nice shot of the blimp hangar. I’m surprised to see those things are still standing! I worked on a film project inside one of them in 2005 and heard they were going to be demolished.

In regards to disliking the stock muffler: if your primary concern is boosting performance, your best bet is to save up for a full system. But if your goal is simply to have something that looks better cosmetically and don’t want to spend a lot of money, you can replace the OEM muffler cover with an aftermarket carbon fiber cover for $80-$90. (See eBay link below.) 

If you didn’t already know, the portion of the muffler that sticks out under the right foot peg is decorative and non-functional. It’s held on by 3 screws, making it easy to remove. You may even like the look of no muffler cover at all. And that’s a super-cheap fix!

s-l400.jpg

For Yamaha mt 07 FZ 07 2014-2017. 1 x Carbon Fiber Muffler Exhaust...

Edited by D.A.

2 minutes ago, D.A. said:

@Sam B Free Good-looking bike. And nice shot of the blimp hangar. I’m surprised to see those things are still standing! I worked on a film project inside one of them in 2005 and heard they were going to be demolished.

In regards to disliking the stock muffler: if your primary concern is boosting performance, your best bet is to save up for a full system. But if your goal is simply to have something that looks better cosmetically and don’t want to spend a lot of money, you can replace the OEM muffler cover with an aftermarket carbon fiber cover for $80-$90. (See eBay link below.) 

If you didn’t already know, the part of the muffler that sticks out under the right foot peg is decorative and non-functional. It’s held on by 3 screws, making it easy to remove. You may even like the look of no muffler cover at all. And that’s as super-cheap fix!

s-l400.jpg

For Yamaha mt 07 FZ 07 2014-2017. 1 x Carbon Fiber Muffler Exhaust...

Thanks for that info bro, i appreciate all the other feedback that has mentioned as well. I think in the short term i am interested in the aesthetics of the bike and this option is helps a lot! In the mid to long term i would like to put a full system and tune on this bike and feel its full potential. I am hesitant to spend 800+ on adding a performance upgrade to this bike, just because i really only use it to commute, and my style isnt too aggressive just yet.

In terms of the hangars, yes they have been planning to take them down but i havent seen much action towards it. Hopefully the stay a little longer they are very cool structures.

20200809_123618~2.jpg

• Like 1

Unless you’re racing the bike and are restricted to a certain displacement class, I don’t see the logic in putting  an $800 full exhaust system and $300 fueling module or ECU flash on a bike like the FZ07, just to up the output from 68hp to 75hp or so.  I think the bike already has plenty of power for the type of motorcycle it is. If more horsepower is the goal, it makes more sense to me to sell the FZ07 and combine the proceeds with the money you would have spent on exhaust-related upgrades and buy a used FZ09 instead, instantly putting you at 104hp in stock livery.

That being said, if you do decide to go the full exhaust route at some point, check out 2WheelDynoWorks. For $920 they’re currently offering a full Yoshimura R77 carbon fiber exhaust system along with the CPU flash you’ll need to make the FZ07 run right with the new pipes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, seven said:

Any idea what cage that is?

I dont bro sorry came with the bike when i bought it, havent seen any other fz07 with this cage, i really like the way it looks, makes the bike look more aggressive. But maan is that stock exhaust an eye sore. I think im going to pull the trigger on a full system.

20200809_114445_HDR~2.jpg

Edited by Sam B Free
  • Like 1

Welcome! I really like that cage with the bottom fairing built into it, wish I could score one of those

• Like 1

For less than $400 you can get a full exhaust from Black Widow. They'll ship it from the U.K. and have it on your doorstep in 2 days and the quality is excellent. Check out their website, they have lots of options. I have the 300mm black oval carbon tip and I love it. Any less than 300mm and they start getting a bit more loud than I care for even with the baffle in. Good Luck and ride safe.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sped105 said:

For less than $400 you can get a full exhaust from Black Widow. They'll ship it from the U.K. and have it on your doorstep in 2 days and the quality is excellent. Check out their website, they have lots of options. I have the 300mm black oval carbon tip and I love it. Any less than 300mm and they start getting a bit more loud than I care for even with the baffle in. Good Luck and ride safe.

I appreciate that info bro! Im looking into these now.

• Premium Member
On 8/14/2020 at 4:27 PM, RobZilla said:

Welcome! I really like that cage with the bottom fairing built into it, wish I could score one of those

Mt07_cage_1200x1200.jpg?v=1570633783

The Urban Higdonion cage and skid is still a fantastic setup but we wanted to make some upgrades! Better protection and more...

• Like 3

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.