The MT-07 Forum

Considering FZ-07 purchase, would appreciate recommendations

rtbain

Good day all!

Thanks for the add.  I am looking for a simple mid weight scooter to add to the stable.  I've been riding quite some time and have had the pleasure of owning a few bikes(actual count hidden from boss lady's prying graze).  Current garage denizines include a '16 R1200R, '09 XR1200, and a '98 Guzzi V11 w/sidecar.

I am considering a SV650, GB500TT, and the FZ07.  Will purchase a used unit but don't know the quirks of each model year and would appreciate the experience of current owners.  ABS is not important but not a deal killer either.

Probably leave the motor stock, will definitely upgrade suspension(front and rear) and brakes (braided lines, better pads).

Which year?  What to look for?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Randy 

• Global Moderator

Assuming you are in the US, ABS was not available until 2017 on some models and then standard from 2018.  The bike has been basically unchanged since its introduction except for cosmetic changes, and a new name in 2018 (the suspension was slightly improved from 2018 also, but since you are going to upgrade it anyway that is not really relevant).  Just look for the best bike and deal you can get and do not worry about the year.  You will love the FZ/MT-07. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  Any known issues to look for on a used bike?   

I'm in the US.  Texas specifically.  Will start looking about.

Edited by rtbain

Welcome! How much power are you wanting? The MT07 might possibly be a little underpowered for what you have ridden in the past, unless you are specifically looking for smaller displacement bike. I personally wish I had gone with the 09 for a jump in power, but the MT07 is definitely still a torquey bike and is very fun. It does have some quirks as most bikes do. Fueling, in terms of linear power and valve noise are most of the complaints on the bike. Are they terrible? No, but most address the fueling with a tune and it completely changes the characteristics of the bike. Some bikes are noisier than others, but welcome to parallel twins. I did see a comparison between the sv650 and MT07 somewhere on the web, I'll take a look and see if I can find it. Overall tho, coming from supersports I do enjoy the MT07 as it's a completely different beast and is very inexpensive. When I do get another bike tho, I'll most likely go with the cb650R or Duke 790. I'd recommend test riding each and getting a hands on feel for each one if possible. Also forgot to mention the '18 and up MT07 had an upgraded suspension that is better than previous models.

32 minutes ago, rtbain said:

Good day all!

Thanks for the add.  I am looking for a simple mid weight scooter to add to the stable.  I've been riding quite some time and have had the pleasure of owning a few bikes(actual count hidden from boss lady's prying graze).  Current garage denizines include a '16 R1200R, '09 XR1200, and a '98 Guzzi V11 w/sidecar.

I am considering a SV650, GB500TT, and the FZ07.  Will purchase a used unit but don't know the quirks of each model year and would appreciate the experience of current owners.  ABS is not important but not a deal killer either.

Probably leave the motor stock, will definitely upgrade suspension(front and rear) and brakes (braided lines, better pads).

Which year?  What to look for?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Randy 

Edited by 1down5up
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, 1down5up said:

Welcome! How much power are you wanting? The MT07 might possibly be a little underpowered for what you have ridden in the past, unless you are specifically looking for smaller displacement bike. I personally wish I had gone with the 09 for a jump in power, but the MT07 is definitely still a torquey bike and is very fun. It does have some quirks as most bikes do. Fueling, in terms of linear power and valve noise are most of the complaints on the bike. Are they terrible? No, but most address the fueling with a tune and it completely changes the characteristics of the bike. Some bikes are noisier than others, but welcome to parallel twins. I did see a comparison between the sv650 and MT07 somewhere on the web, I'll take a look and see if I can find it. Overall tho, coming from supersports I do enjoy the MT07 as it's a completely different beast and is very inexpensive. When I do get another bike tho, I'll most likely go with the cb650R or Duke 790. I'd recommend test riding each and getting a hands on feel for each one if possible. Also forgot to mention the '18 and up MT07 had an upgraded suspension that is better than previous models.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply.  Looking for a mid weight and not expecting a lot of power(though the FZ07 is far from slow).  Sometimes it's nice to have something a bit more nimble.

I have read some of the comparisons and it seems to be a toss up.  It may sound silly but I hate accessing the rear cylinder of SVs during valve clearance checks.  And I have learned never to say that to an SV rider.   :)  You get the "valves never need adjusting lecture".

I have owned a 790.  Great bike but narrowly focused with somewhat limited range.

Appreciate the heads up on fueling issues.  Not at all uncommon on modern motorbikes.  The XR1200 has a DynoJet Power Vision and works well.  Would probably use the same type of tuner on the FZ07 unless you are aware of better options.  

Thinking of going RaceTech or Nitron suspension.  Again recommendations are welcome.

Can newbies post WTB (wanted to buy) in the Classified section? 

Edited by rtbain

• Global Moderator

I have a Nitron shock and Matris cartridge forks and am very happy with them.  I also have an ECU tune from 2 Wheel Dyno Works, a supporting vendor here, which is great.  Those are definitely my favorite upgrades. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
19 minutes ago, rtbain said:

Thanks!  Will definitely look into 2 Wheel Dyno Works.

Is there a list of supporting vendors?  Sorry, new here.

Click on the big "FZ-07.org" logo at the top of the screen, then scroll to the bottom of the page until you see "supporting vendors". Welcome to the forum 😎-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

My wife had a sv650 and while it is a super smooth ride, shifts nice but I personally found the FZ to be far superior in weight distribution and handling. I also sat on a lot of bikes I had researched before deciding, the FZ just felt immediately perfect for me. (2015)

The suspension was adequate for me (170 lbs) but I did buy after market shocks and a fork kit just for the heck of it. Added a Power Commander V and the hordpower air-filter, a led tail, blinkers and headlamp because the stock incandescent headlamp was a birthday candle,  a bunch of other lights and modules like a brake strobe, r6 throttle tube,  139 dB air horn, sliders, new seat, rear-sets, handle bar, bar-end mirrors, yoshimura exhaust, centre stand, made some custom cabochon blinkers to replace the yamaha symbol on the "airscoop", a pile of other cosmetic bits and pieces. Heck even stock was great.

Very fun bike to mod and ride to say the very least.  I cant say if much has changed to the main core of what makes this bike since 2015, but theres plenty good reason it gets great reviews. Bought new off the floor and havent had a single issue.

We have a bunch of fantastic vendors here, the site is very well managed and the members are always solid.

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

10 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

The suspension was adequate for me (170 lbs) but I did buy after market shocks and a fork kit just for the heck of it. Added a Power Commander V and the hordpower air-filter, a led tail, blinkers and headlamp because the stock incandescent headlamp was a birthday candle,  a bunch of other lights and modules like a brake strobe, r6 throttle tube,  139 dB air horn, sliders, new seat, rear-sets, handle bar, bar-end mirrors, yoshimura exhaust, centre stand, made some custom cabochon blinkers to replace the yamaha symbol on the "airscoop", a pile of other cosmetic bits and pieces. Heck even stock was great.

We have a bunch of fantastic vendors here, the site is very well managed and the members are always solid.

Thanks for the input!  Sounds you have a farkle monster there.  I have had my share too.

The centerstand (after suspension and brakes) is on the list.  When I come to power all motorbikes will have center stands, heated grips, LOUD horns, and comfy, heated seats.

Which mods are your favorites?

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, rtbain said:

Thanks for the input!  Sounds you have a farkle monster there.  I have had my share too.

The centerstand (after suspension and brakes) is on the list.  When I come to power all motorbikes will have center stands, heated grips, LOUD horns, and comfy, heated seats.

Which mods are your favorites?

Very difficult to decide as all the bits and pieces contribute equally towards my love of the bike. I do like the hord air filter/PCV for the little performance and aesthetic boost . Love my 4x Denali DM's and bike-vis bullets.  I dunno.....

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:14 AM, Mr.Puss said:

My wife had a sv650 and while it is a super smooth ride, shifts nice but I personally found the FZ to be far superior in weight distribution and handling. I also sat on a lot of bikes I had researched before deciding, the FZ just felt immediately perfect for me. (2015)

Very fun bike to mod and ride to say the very least.  I cant say if much has changed to the main core of what makes this bike since 2015, but theres plenty good reason it gets great reviews. Bought new off the floor and havent had a single issue.

Damn that is a lot of mods...I hope to follow the same sort of footsteps.

I agree about the SV650. I only had a chance to sit on the bike in a show room and directly compare to a Zawi Z650 and notices the SV650 was much wider between the legs and just felt so much heavier when leaning (I think it is about 35 lbs heavier than the MT-07). The Z650 and MT-07 felt similar in terms of weight but the Z650 felt narrower. I of course sellted on the MT-07 too.

• Like 1