The MT-07 Forum

Fuel Additive

prediddy

When I purchased my bike the sales manager mentioned something about an additive that i should refresh every fuel fill up or so.  Because he was the sales manger and was trying to push everything under the sun on me at that moment (extended warranty, financing 'deals', etc.) I didn't pay much attention to what he was talking about.

But in retrospect he was saying that I could buy it other places, like Home Depot, not just the dealership.  Also mentioned that Yamaha recommends adding it, in the owners manual.  This was something that would neutralize or mitigate any potential problems caused by the ethanol in gasoline blends.

So the kicker is, I don't remember seeing anything about it in the manual, and I can't remember what it was called to even look it up.  Anyone have any ideas?  And do you use it, how often, etc?

Guest August BB

Probably Sta-bil ethanol treatment (orange). I've never used it.

As far as the manual goes, I know they recommend adding stabilizer for winter/long storage, not sure if it mentions anything about regular fill ups. Stabilizer for winter storage is the red Sta-bil bottle by the way.

• Premium Member

Also just fyi for anyone that didn't know but you more or less can't stabilize modern fuel. Especially ethanol blended stuff. Stabilizers used to form a layer on the top of the fuel in an effort to preserve it. Modern stabilizers don't work in the same way they used to.

If I can find the sources I'll update the post, but just look into it if you're curious. The information is out there.

Everything went braap.

I'm using this additive for the storage of my bike.
eUritubl.jpg
It can be used non-storage fuel treatment of ethanol as well though.
qILaVjel.jpg
This is probably what the guy was talking about as it is Genuine Yamaha as you can see in the picture.
cUegb5el.jpg
The instructions are also in the pictures so you can read them and get a better idea of what it does.
hDpoJBCl.jpg
Sorry the pictures are a little blurry, but they work.

He was referring to star brite. I've only noticed a difference on carbeurated motors, but it wouldn't hurt. A bottle goes a long way so I've been using what I have.  
http://www.starbrite.com/item/star-tron-gasoline-additive?category_id=699

That's the stuff. I thought it had 'star' in the name, but wasn't sure. So now the question is, Stabil vs Starbrite vs FuelMed differences, or is it all pretty much the same stuff?

All I know is FuelMed is a Yamaha product that Yamaha themselves push, so that's the one I would trust. I'm just an OEM kind of guy though.

• Premium Member

I think a bottle of star-tron or whatever is around $8, maybe $9. So if you try it and don't like it small loss. They all probably more or less perform the same, just up to the consumer to decide.

Everything went braap.

I don't think it be worth it to run a fuel additive every fill up personally. If you run a top tier fuel you should have all the detergents the engine needs already blended into the fuel. I'd also be curious to know if these fuel additives affect the octane rating?
If I was to run a fuel additive I think BG 44K would be the one I'd use. Even still would only be used every 5K miles.

• Premium Member

A friend of mine is the parts manager at the local Honda dealers and he said his customers really liked Liquid Performance fuel additive and that it also improved mileage.

The quality of gas here is inconsistent and I wanted something to keep the bike's fuel system and valves clean so I tried it in the Ninja 650R. I was naturally skeptical of the improved mileage claims, but what I found after using it in a couple tankfulls was that it really did improve mileage by around 10% and the throttle response was noticeably crisper. I used 1/2 oz per 2 gal in the Ninja for thousands of miles right up until I traded it for the FZ.

So, I pass my experience along to you. I'm using it in the FZ-07 and this stuff does what it says it'll do.

Here's a video of a comparison of fuel additives that sealed the deal for me.

[video src=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_krjUxoHtk]

I have no affiliation with Liquid Performance and receive no benefit from mentioned it here.

if you let your bike sit for more than a couple of weeks i would use it..if you at least start the bike once a week ..i  don,t think you need it..lot off additive will deterioate rubber parts if the gas sits without moving thru the system.. thats what i heard

Archived