The MT-07 Forum

Need a motor!!

cosp600rr

Hello everyone, my motor in my 2015 FZ-07 racebike blew up today. Anyone have one or know someone who does that can get it to Colorado In the next couple days. My next race is this coming weekend so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mat

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

That sucks! im a little late to this but i know a guy who could build you a reliable strong motor 😎 @twf 

What kind of blew up? rod through the case? detonated pistons?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scratchpad said:

That sucks! im a little late to this but i know a guy who could build you a reliable strong motor 😎 @twf 

What kind of blew up? rod through the case? detonated pistons?

No problem being late... I usually am too. I did find a stock motor and it is now installed and running so Ill run that for the last round of racing here. The built motor didnt blow as in put any holes in anything, it just started knocking very badly so I shut it down. I did peek through the intake valves and can see a lot of damage to the top of one of the pistons. Not sure what caused it or how bad it is but will need to figure out what is damaged and what if anything is still usable. The head has a lot of porting work, had hi- comp pistons, custom ground cams and reworked transmission. Im sure there was more done to it but I was all done by the previous owner so not exactly sure what all was done. I will be looking into seeing if it can be rebuilt or if anything is salvageable soon so I can figure out what to do with it.

• Like 1

That doesnt sound good. Hopefully the cylinders arent scarred. It can be rebuilt, however with the fz07, if the head and cylinder(s) are damaged it may be more cost efficient to buy a used case/head/and or motor and start over than to repair. Get it apart and contact Vance & Hines, Millenium Tech or APE and see what the cost is to repair.

• Like 1

I’d replate any rebuild.  Some guys don’t but it’s just asking for trouble, start with fresh bores when building a motor gives you the best chance of fully seated rings.  

Nikasil or any plated cylinder can’t just be honed and rings tossed in like a steel lined cylinder.  It will lose compression much quicker, if it seals at all.  We’ve done it in a pinch but they don’t last like a fresh bore.   

Damage to the head is the biggest issue with the FZ.  Not much material can be removed and the head be useable.  Millennium has fixed a few heads for me in the past. 

• Like 1

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products