The MT-07 Forum

Why isn't my bike like my car?

Gofast Innovations

Gofast Innovations

So, I can drive my car in the hottest weather on earth while running the air conditioning. How come I have to watch my temp gauge on my bike? I guess what I'm saying is why can't my liquid cooled bike do the same?

You could if your bike weighed 3800# and had 4 wheels with an enormous cooling system designed to cool it's engine and 4 big fat humans in Arizona.  And you certainly can run it carefree through Death Valley as I have many times, including my air cooled bikes. I'm afraid your bike wouldn't be any fun if it was designed like a car. 😆

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gofast Innovations said:

So, I can drive my car in the hottest weather on earth while running the air conditioning. How come I have to watch my temp gauge on my bike? I guess what I'm saying is why can't my liquid cooled bike do the same?

What sot of water temps are you seeing that trouble your bike?

The radiator fan comes on at around 220F/107C, it's still fine to climb higher than that.

Slow speeds in traffic (or stationary) in warm weather are about the only reason the temp will go higher. I often ride mine in air temps above 99F/37C without a problem.

Gofast Innovations

Well, I've only seen around 105C then the fan kicks in. I guess I'm worried about nothing. It's just been so damn hot here in Ontario this summer and the bike is new to me. My first bike with a temp gauge.

• Like 1

Airbornedeth

105* C? That's pretty darn hot! 😜

Like mentioned above, if the fan kicks in and is doing it's job, your good to go.

(I'm sure you meant 105* F. Just poking a little fun at you.)

• Premium Member

My fan kicks in at 105c as well. Never had any issues with overheating. Ride my Canadian brother.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Airbornedeth said:

105* C? That's pretty darn hot! 😜

Like mentioned above, if the fan kicks in and is doing it's job, your good to go.

(I'm sure you meant 105* F. Just poking a little fun at you.)

Ahem good sir/madame if I may, we Northern folks strictly adhere to the much more logical and far superior measurement of Celsius.  ;) 

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

Airbornedeth
56 minutes ago, Mr.Puss said:

Ahem good sir/madame if I may, we Northern folks strictly adhere to the much more logical and far superior measurement of Celsius.  ;) 

I'm all for the metric system. It is much more precise than fractions, to be sure.

I also know 105* C is 224* F, which just so happens to be 12* ABOVE boiling temperature. So, pretty hot. 🌡️🙃 Air temperature, obviously.

Edited by Airbornedeth
  • Like 1

You can get a flash and lower the fan turn on temps if it makes you feel better.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Mr.Puss said:

Well thank God the world's still flat here in the new world...

Is that metric, Centigrade or Celcius? 

But seriously, in order to make bikes fun, light, and quasi reliable they had to make the systems a bit more marginal than on more substantial machines. No need for boosted brakes, minimal passenger amenities, dead simple air conditioning, lack of power steering, rider operated transmissions, no electrical foibles other than those we install ourselves to test our patience and WTH is the spare tire?

• Like 2

• Premium Member
cornerslider
On 8/26/2020 at 4:52 PM, mossrider said:

You could if your bike weighed 3800# and had 4 wheels with an enormous cooling system designed to cool it's engine and 4 big fat humans in Arizona.  And you certainly can run it carefree through Death Valley as I have many times, including my air cooled bikes. I'm afraid your bike wouldn't be any fun if it was designed like a car. 😆

@mossrider is correct!!! I owned a Goldwing GL1800 at one point.... I loved touring on it, but it was just too "car-like" 😜. It was very enjoyable, but wasn't all that much "fun" 🙄-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

On 8/26/2020 at 5:22 PM, Gofast Innovations said:

Probably because you have a temperature gauge that actually gives you numbers instead of an idiot light or unmarked gauge like most cars have.

It isn't unusual for cars and bikes to run upward of 225°F (107°C) without any problem.   The fan comes on and it cools back down, no problem.

Plus  both the pressurized cooling system and the anti-freeze raise boiling temperatures well over the temps the bike is running.

Fact is according to Bricklin.org (yep, the car guys - link😞

Many of you have experienced overheating problems. Before I give you the cures, I'd like to explain the theory of overheating.

A bricklin with a 15 pound radiator cap will not boil the water in the radiator until the coolant reaches approximately 250 degrees temperature. With anti-freeze, the boiling point is 250 to 260 degrees. You can run your car at 240 or 250 degrees without hurting anything, as long as the water in the radiator doesn't boil. Once the water boils, it will immediately push water out the overflow, lower the coolant level in the radiator, and give you air bubbles circulating through the cooling system. Air bubbles do not cool an engine, so the engine temperature will immediately skyrocket. Your main concern should be to keep your engine below the boiling point of your coolant. If your radiator cap is no good, it will lower the boiling point of your coolant to 212 dgrees. A leak of any type anywhere in your cooling system will have the same effect. That is why you must have a good radiator cap on your car.

Many people get worried if their car gets up to 220 degrees. On a hot day, going up a hill with your air conditioner on, that is a normal temperature, and is nothing to worry about, as long as you aren't losing coolant. You can safely operate to 240. Above 240 you are nearing the boiling point of your coolant, so start being concerned. 

And that was written in 1981, I'd think coolants and coolant systems along with engine technology certainly would still be on par with a 1981 engine.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, mossrider said:

Well thank God the world's still flat here in the new world...

Is that metric, Centigrade or Celcius? 

But seriously, in order to make bikes fun, light, and quasi reliable they had to make the systems a bit more marginal than on more substantial machines. No need for boosted brakes, minimal passenger amenities, dead simple air conditioning, lack of power steering, rider operated transmissions, no electrical foibles other than those we install ourselves to test our patience and WTH is the spare tire?

That reminds me, I have to change the air in the spare tire. 

I dont even know whats going on anymore.

22 minutes ago, Mr.Puss said:

That reminds me, I have to change the air in the spare tire. 

I dont even know whats going on anymore.

Contrary to a popular movie; "fat, drunk and stupid" really is my way...

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Contrary to a popular movie; "fat, drunk and stupid" really is my way...

Animal House, an oldie but always a goodie.