The MT-07 Forum

Options for better brake feel

seven

I am a new rider and basically my bike is street ridden but I would like to take it to do some mild lapping next year but nothing too intense. As I gain more experience with the bike I can understand the comments about the wooden feel of the brakes and I would like to try to fix that without going crazy with expensive upgrades.

I have done some reading and searching on this forums about the braking system on the MT-07 and I can see that people recommend doing a stainless steel line swap on the bike to help with the brake feel. However there is very little talk of pads, rotors and fluid.

In my car I run Motul RBF600 fluid and that seems fairly common for bikes too. Is there any other fluid recommendations?

What about pads? Would like something that has a bit better bite, linear response, works at cold temps but won't melt/disintegrate with some harder riding, and are quiet. Not looking for something that if I breathe on the lever that it will send me over the bars though. I don't care about brake dust.

Rotors...is that even a thing for bikes other than OEM? Again I see no talk of it.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I have Spiegler braided cables and EBC HH pads.  I just use DOT4 fluid, I do not recall what brand I used.  I am happy with the setup.  Our brakes are actually R1 brakes from a couple of generations back so they are pretty decent when you get rid of the rubber brake lines.  

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Lots of people on this forum end up getting the EBC brake pads

I ended up with the XBK5 (front) and RX3 (rear) pads and really like them.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

After members recommended swapping over to braided and after a bit of research I ordered some lines by Spiegler. Being a new rider myself I had no idea of the benefits of using braided over rubber. Pads? No idea. I'll have to refer back to our well learned members when the time comes. 

Ive never had so much fun spending money. Right? Fun?

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, i28 said:

I havent experienced aftermarket pads yet, is the difference from stock that clear?

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

5 minutes ago, Mr.Puss said:

After members recommended swapping over to braided and after a bit of research I ordered some lines by Spiegler. Being a new rider myself I had no idea of the benefits of using braided over rubber. Pads? No idea. I'll have to refer back to our well learned members when the time comes. 

Ive never had so much fun spending money. Right? Fun?

I think I am going to go that same route. I was just thinking if the pads are also a good upgrade I might as well do it all at the same time.

I want to tinker with my bike but trying to do things that will make it better and the best bang for the buck type of mods.

Edited by seven
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, i28 said:

What sort of riding do you do? How do your pads compare to stock in terms of feel/performance?

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, seven said:

Yeah I think I am going to go that same route. I was just thinking if the pads are also a good upgrade I might as well do it all at the same time.

Yeah I want to tinker with my bike but trying to do things that will make it better and the best bang for the buck type of mods.

Yeah youre right, maybe I should do the pads as well and get it over with.

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, Mr.Puss said:

I havent experienced aftermarket pads yet, is the difference from stock that clear?

I didn't spent too much time on stock pads and did these pretty early on but I still remember it being noticeably better.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
46 minutes ago, seven said:

What sort of riding do you do? How do your pads compare to stock in terms of feel/performance?

I'm mostly on the streets at nights when it's pretty empty. Lots of open space to practice braking and other things.

I don't remember the stock pads too well but I did change out to these pads and Spiegler lines early on and it took me a little bit of time to adjust.

Check out this graph for some comparisons for friction. Stock brakes are probably more near the light blue line.

cl_brake_pads_graph.jpg

• Like 1

The stock pads are strong enough to use on the track, but I don't like their lack of initial bite. They felt too soft for me on the street.

I now use Brembo SC pads and stainless lines on the front (rear is standard, I'm happy with it). Much better pad feel.

I do plenty of track days, I'm now looking to upgrade the master cylinder to a radial for better feel and power modulation also. I'll probably end up going with a Nisin (just because it's cheaper than Brembo).

If that isn't enough, you can always bolt on 2004 R1 320 mm discs with this caliper adapter 😉:

• Like 1