The MT-07 Forum

Oh no another exhaust question

floridajon

I have a 2018 MT07. .Had it since new, I've got 25000 mile.s on it and love this bike. Since I am keeping it it's time for a pipe. Is annyone running an Akrapovick ti or carbon with a centerstand?               i don't want to lose the stand. ii's too handy

i

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, floridajon said:

I have a 2018 MT07. .Had it since new, I've got 25000 mile.s on it and love this bike. Since I am keeping it it's time for a pipe. Is annyone running an Akrapovick ti or carbon with a centerstand?               i don't want to lose the stand. ii's too handy

I have a 2017 with Akra TI with an SW-Motech Center stand. they are 100% compatible with each other. There should be no difference on a 2018.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

51 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I have a 2017 with Akra TI with an SW-Motech Center stand. they are 100% compatible with each other. There should be no difference on a 2018.

Any clue how it fits with a Yoshimura R77?

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, 1down5up said:

my search of the forum for R77 and center stand came up with the following post

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator
17 minutes ago, floridajon said:

now I'm wondering about the Yoshimura R77 as 2WDW Has The YOSH & tune for about the same price as the Akra 

A guy in my town had a Yoshi with the 2WDW tune and he loved it.  It sounded good too.  I have a 2WDW tune on my bike and even with the stock exhaust it is a huge improvement.  

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, floridajon said:

now I'm wondering about the Yoshimura R77 as 2WDW Has The YOSH & tune for about the same price as the Akra 

I too struggled with the price of Akra Ti. I eventually went with it for ONE reason.... The Akra Ti puts the ENTIRE system under the bike. My FZ-07 is track only, and eventually I will probably go down 🙄. If the entire system is under the bike, there is no pipe sticking out the side of the bike that gets wrecked in a crash (or even a tip-over). The difference in price between the two systems was cheaper than repairing the Yoshimura "can". That was enough to sway me towards the Akra. I do prefer the sound of the Yoshimura R-77 though 😎. I just feel the Akra Ti is better designed system (being under the bike)-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

14 hours ago, mjh937 said:

A guy in my town had a Yoshi with the 2WDW tune and he loved it.  It sounded good too.  I have a 2WDW tune on my bike and even with the stock exhaust it is a huge improvement.  

Why do you ride with oem exhaust and a tune only?

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, 1down5up said:

Why do you ride with oem exhaust and a tune only?

I like the quieter exhaust but wanted to reduce the engine braking.  I also really like how much smoother the throttle response is with the tune.  It is a worthwhile upgrade even if you do not change your exhaust, your bike will be tuned for best performance not EPA requirements.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I like the quieter exhaust but wanted to reduce the engine braking.  I also really like how much smoother the throttle response is with the tune.  It is a worthwhile upgrade even if you do not change your exhaust, your bike will be tuned for best performance not EPA requirements.  

Wouldn't the tune with exhaust accomplish the same thing aside from being super quiet? I dunno how people ride with stock exhausts, it's just too dangerous imo. Going to ship off my ecu to 2wdw prob next week to see how it improves the bike.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, 1down5up said:

Wouldn't the tune with exhaust accomplish the same thing aside from being super quiet? I dunno how people ride with stock exhausts, it's just too dangerous imo. Going to ship off my ecu to 2wdw prob next week to see how it improves the bike.

I didn't replace my stock exhaust because of any safety concerns. I just wanted my FZ to sound like a motorcycle not an unholy union of a scooter and a sewing machine.  ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

I know I am in the minority of people who like the stock exhaust and understand why someone would replace it.  I found that installing a MWR air filter changed the exhaust sound while accelerating and I really like that.  The safety argument of loud bikes is a whole other debate which has been hashed out elsewhere on the forum, but I personally do not think having a loud bike makes any difference in regards to safety.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

I know I am in the minority of people who like the stock exhaust and understand why someone would replace it.  I found that installing a MWR air filter changed the exhaust sound while accelerating and I really like that.  The safety argument of loud bikes is a whole other debate which has been hashed out elsewhere on the forum, but I personally do not think having a loud bike makes any difference in regards to safety.  

Our bikes sound like sewing machines going down the road, doubtful an air filter is going to dramatically change anything. If the cages aren't looking for you at least they'll hear you. Plus I'd rather hear exhaust than the loud valve/injector/chain noise these bikes produce lol. Ride safe.

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, 1down5up said:

Our bikes sound like sewing machines going down the road, doubtful an air filter is going to dramatically change anything. If the cages aren't looking for you at least they'll hear you. Plus I'd rather hear exhaust than the loud valve/injector/chain noise these bikes produce lol. Ride safe.

I was very surprised that the air filter effected the exhaust sound, but it did and I am happy with it.  I have had way too many loud bikes pass me that I did not hear until they were in front of me.  I always assume I am invisible and ride defensively.  

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I did the same with my street R3.... It's MUCH more enjoyable to ride now 😎-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
On 8/28/2020 at 8:18 PM, 1down5up said:

I just installed the centre stand with a stainless r77 and the foot does contact the bottom of the can. One member cut a piece of rubber hose and put it on the bolt... lacking hose, as a temporary I wrapped a few mm thickness worth of electrical tape.    

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.