The MT-07 Forum

New battery - Hard to start

theconsciousness

theconsciousness

So I've got a used 2017 FZ07 with a weird issue going on. The battery that I bought with the bike was putting out 10V when the dash was turned on. Bought a new $80 battery, trickle charged it for a few days, popped it in this morning, and it took me a few tries to get it to crank over. No longer get the loud relay-ticking sound I normally get with a dead battery. I actually get a 'cranking' sound. Looked up at the dash, and noticed my first error message; I didn't get to write it down. Turned off the key, turned it on, and then tried to start it up. Took a couple chugs; but finally started.

I then decided to let it run for a minute, and then try to remove the Negative lead on my battery...to see if the stator could keep the bike running.... The bike died right then and there.

Does this seem indicative of a bad starter, a bad fuse, a bad charging circuit? I could really use the help.

That test is no longer relevant for testing charging output. Went out with the advent of fuel injection.

You can do damage to the charging system and ECU.

Get a meter and read voltage with key on 12-12.6 volts, engine running at idle about 13 -14 volts, and with rpm at say 4k rpm max of 14.6 volts.

Just from memory, best 1st purchase is a Service manual.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

theconsciousness

That test is no longer relevant for testing charging output. Went out with the advent of fuel injection.

Thank you, I'll avoid doing that again! I just got back from bank and BMV, bike started every time after 2 engine cranks, just like I'd like it to! I'll head out there with a multimeter in a bit to check the voltages!

Edited by theconsciousness

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, theconsciousness said:

Update: just got back from bank and BMV, bike started every time after 2 engine cranks, just like I'd like it to! 

I am a little worried about the bike dying when I disconnected the battery though, as I've heard the stater is meant to keep it running without the need of a battery. 

Please read @peteinpa reply to you. He speaks truth.

Even with a perfectly running bike you can no longer pull the battery end expect it to remain running with all of the electronics now on our motorcycles.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.