The MT-07 Forum

Washing my Bike

GuywithanMT07

Hello, I am a new rider. I have a 2018 MT-07, and I want to wash it.  Is it okay to spray it with water even though there's no side fairings?  Also, do you have any tips for washing it, or is there anything you think I should know? Thanks!

It's ok to wash it off with a hose. I've been washing bikes weekly for many years now. Do not use a pressure washer as it can drive water past seals and cause issues. Like water getting past rear suspension seals and rusting out the linkage bearings.

I don't like even using a normal nozzle on a hose. One of those sprinkler type things you use for watering flowers ( delicate) works perfect IMO. Floods the surface clean without driving moisture in to connecters and other places you don't want it. 

Dawn dish soap is a good degreaser that can keep things sparkly clean. Be careful with products like Purple Power or Simple Green as they are acidic and can ( can,  not will) attack aluminum.  I do like to spray some Purple Power around my calipers occasionally. Helps keep the brake dust from accumulating and you can't really scrub in those areas very well. Just don't let something like that dry in the sun and try to keep it away from bare aluminum. 

mc572ydv6kixhibjbt3rxydr7uygxymxupts09wy63zfthoyele8kyz2cyvvprd0-.jpg

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 1

S100 cycle cleaner is safe on aluminum but cuts grease very nicely without stripping everything like Dawn does.  Spray, rinse, done.  I learned about it from an old RX7 guru who used it to keep his engine bay sparkling, and use it on my formula car that collects everyone's oil leaks, as well as the bike.

• Like 2

Hadn't heard of S100 and did some quick research. S100 is also sold as Hondabrite. 

It's active ingredient is ammonium hydrogen flouride, which is the chemical used to etch aluminum before the anodized process takes place. Interesting!

• Global Moderator

I'm using the other strategy, where you add new mod/parts so fast the bike is never static long enough to look dirty!

It's my ship of Theseus, left port on a journey and when it returned, ever single part had been replaced

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Hadn't heard of S100 and did some quick research. S100 is also sold as Hondabrite. 

It's active ingredient is ammonium hydrogen flouride, which is the chemical used to etch aluminum before the anodized process takes place. Interesting!

Hmm.  Must be a low enough concentration not to act very quickly - instructions are to rinse the stuff off before it has a chance to dry.  I can say that shiny aluminum surfaces in my RX7 engine bay never lost their sparkle.  Another formula racer last week marveled at my (dull finish) aluminum transmission case and wondered if I'd recently bought a new one.  Nope, just gave it a good bath with engine oil from the leaky valve cover and then a quick clean with S100.

• Premium Member

Even Di-hydrogen monoxide (water) will effect aluminum with long term contact. I'm guessing the short exposure and probably low concentration of the ammonium Hydrogen fluoride is probably not harmful.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

57 minutes ago, timjh said:

Hmm.  Must be a low enough concentration not to act very quickly - instructions are to rinse the stuff off before it has a chance to dry.  I can say that shiny aluminum surfaces in my RX7 engine bay never lost their sparkle.  Another formula racer last week marveled at my (dull finish) aluminum transmission case and wondered if I'd recently bought a new one.  Nope, just gave it a good bath with engine oil from the leaky valve cover and then a quick clean with S100.

I wasn't thinking that it might be corrosive, because you're obviously having good luck with it. 

I'm assuming they use that solution in anodizing to remove the oxide layer that aluminum forms instantly, so the dye can seep it.

So it stands to reason that S100 would do a good job of keeping oxidation away from aluminum, but I'm no chemist fo sho. 

Thank you all for the help, I am going to try to use "Gold Class Car Wash" and just avoid cleaning anything that might be alluminum, and I will use a very weak water spray.  Also, I will not let it dry in the sun. 

On 9/17/2020 at 5:18 AM, shinyribs said:

It's ok to wash it off with a hose. I've been washing bikes weekly for many years now. Do not use a pressure washer as it can drive water past seals and cause issues. Like water getting past rear suspension seals and rusting out the linkage bearings.

I don't like even using a normal nozzle on a hose. One of those sprinkler type things you use for watering flowers ( delicate) works perfect IMO. Floods the surface clean without driving moisture in to connecters and other places you don't want it. 

Dawn dish soap is a good degreaser that can keep things sparkly clean. Be careful with products like Purple Power or Simple Green as they are acidic and can ( can,  not will) attack aluminum.  I do like to spray some Purple Power around my calipers occasionally. Helps keep the brake dust from accumulating and you can't really scrub in those areas very well. Just don't let something like that dry in the sun and try to keep it away from bare aluminum. 

mc572ydv6kixhibjbt3rxydr7uygxymxupts09wy63zfthoyele8kyz2cyvvprd0-.jpg

Is "Gold Class Car Wash" alright?

• 4 weeks later...

Any car wash soap is safe. The reason they make that stuff is because dish soap will strip wax off painted surfaces.

I've always used Simple Green in any spots that need degreasing since it's non corrosive and biodegradable.

• Premium Member
On 9/17/2020 at 5:28 PM, shinyribs said:

Strong stuff S100, really strong.

I wouldn't use anything but a good quality car wash/soap.  I've learned my lesson trying other things (ie, strong) on both motorcycles and bicycles.  I've been using Chemical Guys suds in a foam gun here recently with great luck.  If there are strong "spots" to get off like sap or grease I'll use WD-40, but washing it immediately after.  I sometimes use Kerosene (googled, works a charm) on a rag for the wheels if they are REALLY bad with chain grease and road much - but again - washing immediately after.