The MT-07 Forum

Worth Keeping Passenger Footpegs On?

raysigh

Taking my 07 to the track later this month, and wondering if it's worth keeping my rear passenger pegs on for crash protection to protect the tail cowling? 

Currently have front/rear axle sliders, GP racing engine covers, Graves frame sliders. Missing anything important?

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, raysigh said:

Taking my 07 to the track later this month, and wondering if it's worth keeping my rear passenger pegs on for crash protection to protect the tail cowling? 

Currently have front/rear axle sliders, GP racing engine covers, Graves frame sliders. Missing anything important?

It was suggested to me by several track day riders and racers to leave them on for added protection when I first started tracking my FZ. I never needed them, but I have seen them save the tail cowls on others in low side slides. So I'd say yes, leave them on.

My 2 cents.

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, raysigh said:

Sounds like the bike is covered pretty well.

Do you have good protection for you? 

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

Yah.  Leaving them on makes sense.   But then one could say they could grab and bend the rear part of the frame.  So, maybe a toss up....

Look into an air vest for yourself.   I rode without for a year, but have a Hit-Air vest now.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

5 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

Sounds like the bike is covered pretty well.

Do you have good protection for you? 

Ed

Yep, I'm running an AGV K1, Dainese Carbon D1 (not pure race purposed, but within budget - especially on sale), used pair of Dainese Torque RS (old model), Dainese Pro Armor back protector, and a use 1-piece BiLT suit that I got for $100.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blackout said:

Yah.  Leaving them on makes sense.   But then one could say they could grab and bend the rear part of the frame.  So, maybe a toss up....

Look into an air vest for yourself.   I rode without for a year, but have a Hit-Air vest now.

That's what I was thinking too. A broken plastic fairing should be easier to fix than a bent subframe? I'll look into the air vest!

All this talk about breaking this and cracking that...  Where will the trophy girl put her feet on your victory lap?  You have got to think about the really important stuff before you just go ripping things off willy-nilly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rider said:

All this talk about breaking this and cracking that...  Where will the trophy girl put her feet on your victory lap?  You have got to think about the really important stuff before you just go ripping things off willy-nilly. 

Those legs can just wrap around me;)

• Like 3

11 hours ago, raysigh said:

Those legs can just wrap around me;)

See?  Thinking things through. Creative and alternative solutions. That's what forums are for. Good job. 

I took mine off once and to be honest I put them back on because it made the bike look funny from some angles and also "looked" like there was obviously parts missing. I rode around that way for a day or two and put them back on. You will also have to make or buy a new bracket for the rear brake resivoir (I can't spell - "fluid holder cup" LOL!!)

• Haha 1

took it off, a kg less and the bike looks even better!

I even made a bracket to remove it , cnc, aluminum ecc, I'm that convinced about removing them 🤣