The MT-07 Forum

Oil Turning Black After 100-150 Miles On Track

raysigh

I put in new Rotella T6 before my TD, and about halfway through the day my oil went from fresh clear amber to pretty black. Does this have to do with oil breaking down due to higher temperatures? I'm just surprised it's happening so fast.

I'm also going to try a better synthetic than a Class 3 next time. Castrol Power 1 4T

• Global Moderator

Maybe it's because in my old age I step back from thought and hang in awareness instead, that I will try to short circuit the pending new oil wars thread, and say for everything in life there is such a thing as "good enough". No offense Raysigh, your question is good.

You could throw O'reilly's 10w-40 straight SAE erl in yer injun, and if you change it every 3k it will live a happy long life. I'm implying "hillbilly logic" here, because oil wars are such a fantastic example of egos online, you know, the stuff that spins Twatter endlessly.

T6 is relatively superior to dinosaur blood valvoline, and we poured gallons of that dino "erl" through every performance motor since the 70's, no issues. 

Maybe focus on that front brake for better results? Oil wars are just a waste of intellect

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 1

Mostly no. There are a great many reasons oil will change color during use. Some oil additives begin to oxidize immediately when exposed to heat and/or oxygen or other chemical reactions as the normal course of its design. Mixing with residual oil from the previous oil change, carbon or combustion contamination from normal combustion, worn rings or other motor wear, the state of your motor tune, dirty or absent air cleaners, reusing the oil filter (changing the filter every other oil change) and high heat all contribute to rapid color change. Also if you've been doddling around on the bike for any length of time on the street then put fresh oil in it for the track day just before beating the hell out of it at high rpm under high load generating high heat guess what. It's normal and no big deal and the reason most racers change oil more frequently.  And don't forget, the clutch youre abusing mercilessly and the tranmission youre banging away on share that fresh oil. Most importantly, simply because the oil darkens does not mean it's breaking down or losing its effectiveness or failing in any way. It's still in there doing its thing just with a change of color.  Rotella T4, 5 or 6 are great oils at affordable prices that permit an extra peace of mind change once in a while too.

• Thanks 1

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, mossrider said:

There are a great many reasons oil will change color

You mean I'm wasting money by investing in oil with red hair dye added to it? 

I should buy that cheap O'reilly oil, add Target red hair dye, put it in a new bottle with a picture of a stripper on it, and call it "Trickshift". I be rich!

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Haha 1

I think I just realized what I should do - since I haven't done it yet. I'll send a sample to Blackstone Labs and see what they see. Take all the guesswork out of it.

Just FYI:

This isn't the first time it's turned black, it seems to turn black whenever my coolant temp gets over 210 or so after some hard riding. 

Mileage about 6200. I purchased it at 4800 miles, and have done 2 oil changes so far (frequent). I change the filter every time. 

I change the air filter to a K&N just before trackday. Airbox was nice and clean inside. 

I have a DanMoto exhaust, baffled with 3 custom baffles (for track noise limits, and to try to keep it from running too lean), and no ECU tune.

Considering these factors, I wouldn't think seals are going at such low mileage. I'll try the new Power 1 Castrol in there, but I will keep in mind that oil darkening doesn't mean it isnt working. I'll see what Blackstone says. 

Thanks

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Good plan, you obviously know how and when to call the shots on your projects, I should have known you've got good reasoning behind your observations.

I don't think Blackstone is reading the entrails of slaughtered goats to get insights, so go for it.

Edited by Pursuvant

• Premium Member

Is Rotella the desiel oil that many use in their wet clutched bikes?  The oil in my desiel tractor turns black almost instantly. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

May be just dirt in the engine, a friend  started to use very good oils after 30k km of dirt cheap oils and he had a similar experience the first “good” oil change and a little cleaner the next.

Some oils clean really well some don’t, but usually it’s visible with older engines where there is a little bit more is shet passing through the piston ring 

9 hours ago, blackout said:

Is Rotella the desiel oil that many use in their wet clutched bikes?  The oil in my desiel tractor turns black almost instantly. 

That is reassuring to hear