The MT-07 Forum

Street Boot Recommendations

seven

I just started riding in late July so have little gear experience. I was using a pair of TCX Rush Waterproof Boots and I quite liked them, no complaints really other than the stitching on the right toe started to fray after less than 2 months. I got them from FortNine (I am in Canada) and they refunded my money as it was covered under warranty. I am fully willing to buy another pair but was looking for something that might offer some better protection but not be too uncomfortable to wear walking around. One thing I did like about the TCX is that there wasn't a huge amount of heel on them. That feature does not seem too normal though going to taller boots so maybe I have to abandon that idea.

Regardless, I am just looking for some boot recommendations for street riding, that are reasonably comfortable walking around and offer decent protection.

S.

• Like 1

bartman5impson

If you want more protection you are probably going to need to step up to race style boots but those aren't made to be comfortable walking around. I have a pair of Dainese torque out boots and they aren't great for walking around. They squeak a lot and have very little flex in the sole. For me wearing them is still worth it because when I crashed I wasn't wearing full boots and I couldn't walk for a week. My foot only had a bruise but the pain was worse than the collarbone I broke. I don't want that to happen again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bartman5impson said:

If you want more protection you are probably going to need to step up to race style boots but those aren't made to be comfortable walking around. I have a pair of Dainese torque out boots and they aren't great for walking around. They squeak a lot and have very little flex in the sole. For me wearing them is still worth it because when I crashed I wasn't wearing full boots and I couldn't walk for a week. My foot only had a bruise but the pain was worse than the collarbone I broke. I don't want that to happen again.

This is exactly what I needed to hear. I am a runner so protecting my feet/ankles/legs is very important and if there isn't a boot that offers the protection that I need that is also comfortable walking around, I will give up the walking comfort...the boot should still be comfortable for riding.

Since I am ignorant on the subject (but am trying to educate myself) it appears that a tall boot isn't the only requirement. To best protect the ankle is to have something that limits movements to the natural way an ankle should move, right? So what exactly should I be looking at? Is there a specific feature/wording that I should looking to see?

• Like 1

You might want to take a look at boots that offer torsional protection in addition to a stiff shank in the sole. The stiffer the sole, the more protected you are from crush type injuries (say...if the bike traps your foot underneath it in a low-side), but anything with torsional protection will protect your ankle in the event your foot gets hung up on something and starts to bend in ways it shouldn't.

There are a few boots that do this, but I've got a pair of TCX S-Speed boots (I don't think they make them anymore), but if you look at photos, you'll see what I'm talking about. There are hinge like TPU pieces both on the lateral and posterior parts of the ankle that protect from torsional injuries, but still allow your ankle to move normally should you actually want to walk around in them.

A lot of higher end boots have similar parts on them, Dianese (Torque and Nexus series), Alpinestars (the SMX series), Forma (Ice Pro series), etc. but the TCX for me at the time were the most affordable options for the street without stepping into the super-expensive track boots, but take a look at those options and you'll see what I mean. From there, you'll be able to spot what type of boot will work for the protection you're looking for.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, bartman5impson said:

I also wear the Torque Out's. I found they squeak less than Alpinestar boots. 

• Global Moderator

Alpinestars SP-1 V2 (vented & solids). For causual riding, you can actual walk in them when u get where you're going - without the robot tortured walk.

If you want something more discreetly styled you may look in to some of the Adventure boots. Some of them are way bulky, but protection+flexibility is a big deal in those circles.

My street boots are "adventure" boots, but I'm not sure they're sold anymore. Sidi Armada. Good protection. Truly waterproof. I've hiked in them on many occasions, one time over 5 miles. I'm sure there's something similar if you don't want to look of full on Race Rossi boots on the daily. 

Edited by shinyribs

I tour in an older version of these and love them. Waterproof, all day comfortable, walk around Devil's Tower you bet, modest torsional protection, semi-riggid sole, strong toe box and heel counter. I've never tried the newer versions personally but these or some like these should be good. Anything more protective begins to be too much for all day wear. 

tour-master-solution-wp-v3-boots__96504.

<meta name="description" content="Purchase the Tour...

First simple question, with a race boot, how likely is it that I would be able to wear my riding jeans over the boot or would I need to tuck my jeans into the boot? I know it is a loaded question as there are many factors, just wondering if anyone has done that. If they are tucked in, is that likely to be very uncomfortable?

I feel I am heading for analysis paralysis. I have been looking at boots and watching reviews but am having a hard time putting all the data together.

I see a number of race boots have some ankle restriction so you don't bend too far forward/backward and help prevent side to side flexing but it is the torsional part that is working me up. I am not sure if I am building this up such that I really need to focus on this, which points me to some pretty high end and expensive boots. Is having a boot that is very torsionally supportive just transferring the problem from the ankle to the knee? Most reviews do not really cover that information it seems.

Currently boot availability is poor due to sizing but I have time on my side. I am hoping to find some Canadian retailers but currently that limits my options. Fortnine is the current mainstay (please chime in if you have other good online Canadian motorcycle gear shopping spots).

Unless you're a nut I'd stay away from race boots on the street. They are not conducive to walking, upright riding, relaxing or much else off track. Protective as hell, yes. And they have an aggressive forward set for full tuck riding that makes walking a real effort. Race boots are bomb proof and altho some are designed to be worn inside, most are to be worn over pant/suit legs and are bulky. Go to any track and watch riders and racers peel off their equipment as soon as they're off track because it is restrictive, uncomfortable and hot. 

Street gear can be nearly as protective but is generally designed to be worn under clothing/riding pants. And altho you can get the armegedon look if you want it is generally designed to have a more subtle look and feel to fit in on and off the bike and be unobtrusive socially. Street gear is also more comfortable which lends itself to being worn which is the only way it's of any good. 

Good luck. You have a billion options.

Ryan at Fortnine has done a couple videos on boots, worth looking for the street/commuter and another I think on adventure boots.  Here is one, the others should be available if you click and view this in YouTube.

Edited by klx678

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I have watched all the Fortnine videos and countless others. I am still going to look at some more adventure style boots but so far the very stiff soles with aggressive lugs are turning me away. I had tried some similar styled boots on and tried them on some showroom bikes and found the peg/shifter interface problematic either because the boot was too bulky or inflexible in the toe area or the lugs didn't allow for smooth foot movements.  

So far these are the boots that seem to get some great reviews including for comfort.

• Dainese Torque D1 In
  • Dainese Sport Master Gor-Tex
  • Alpinestars SMX Plus V2
  • Alpinestars Supertech-R
  • TCX SP-Mater
  • TCX SP-Master Air
  • TCX RT-Race

The Dainese's sound like they have all the protection I want but are on the narrow side and I have a wide foot.

The Alpinestar's (especially the Supertech-R) are full track boots but reviews make them sound incredibly comfortable, they too have all the pretection I could want. Almost certain I would have to wear my jeans tucked in. Although the pictures of the SMX Plus V2 look a lot thinner up top and more upright so might be more street capable in an upright position? 

The TCX I know the Rush boots in a 46 fit me fine so I think maybe these would fit similarly (and reviews of TCX suggest they are generally wider that other brands) but maybe these ones are a little too track focused?

Would love to hear if people have any opinions on the narrow/wide fitment of one brand versus another or of any of these specific boots.

I've raced in all of the above at one time or another but currently I own and race in TCX RT's and a pair of discontinued TCX D1 race boots. TCX fits a wide foot better than A* or Dainese imo. They are comfortable around the pit for a short time off the bike but not on a walkabout. You can't stand erect and you walk like you have ski boots on your feet. I don't wear them on the street. The Super Tech's are comfortable on a bike in a full tuck but are a boot in a boot and, and like many race boots, take several minutes to put on. 

Keep in mind the 'feel' you say you look for in your boots is designed to take place at extreme speed, force and control levels mostly standing on fixed rear sets in a race boot that you never attain on the street. You'll be disappointed in the level of feel from a race boot on the street. It's simply one of the trade offs made for their intended use. A street boot is designed to give that feel under everyday conditions while still providing a decent level of protection. 

It sounds like you are discounting the protection of street boots for some reason. There are many that offer near race boot protection w/o the restrictions in comfort and mobility off the bike. 

The mechanism of common injury is one of the primary design criteria companies use when designing boots. Street boots are designed to withstand slapping, stubbing, and short sliding abuse and protect the ankle from moderate hyperflexation. Race boots offer the previous and add a level of protection that includes crush, twisting, impact, torsional and extreme slide protection for much higher speeds. 

It's your decision tho. I do see folks wearing race boots on the street and occasionally street boots on the track. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mossrider said:

It sounds like you are discounting the protection of street boots for some reason. There are many that offer near race boot protection w/o the restrictions in comfort and mobility off the bike. 

The mechanism of common injury is one of the primary design criteria companies use when designing boots. Street boots are designed to withstand slapping, stubbing, and short sliding abuse and protect the ankle from moderate hyperflexation. Race boots offer the previous and add a level of protection that includes crush, twisting, impact, torsional and extreme slide protection for much higher speeds. 

It's your decision tho. I do see folks wearing race boots on the street and occasionally street boots on the track. 

I guess it is just I don't know what I don't know. The websites that I am looking for boots on don't seem to do a good job of categorizing tall street boots from race boots...or my expectations are that I should be seeing things organized a different way. Then I get drawn into different boots like the ones above, watch reviews and on the face of it, they sound like they are perfectly streetable but I suspect I again am looking at it from an improper perspective and one of ignorance due to my lack of experience.

But thank you (and everyone else) for all the input, it really does help get me back on track.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Sunnycalibear

I have a pair of alpinestars J-6 WP and they are great for casual wearing with decent protection. Theyre water proof which makes them very warm. I like them alot during our cali winters. Will most likely buy another pair that is more breathable when the weather gets warmer. 

• Premium Member
On 12/13/2020 at 5:41 PM, seven said:

Would love to hear if people have any opinions on the narrow/wide fitment of one brand versus another or of any of these specific boots.

I've got wide feet and found these recently and they feel good on my feet:

BMW Flow Boots

I've gotten seven years of good service from my Cortech Latigo Air boots, and they're not bad to walk in.  They're less expensive than a lot of boots, but they do squeak a bit when walking.  I'm looking for a new pair though, because these are pretty worn out.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I ended up getting a pair pf TCX RT-Race boots and I am pretty happy with the decision. I haven't put too many miles on them but during the winter months I spent many hours wearing them around the house to break them in some. Yes they squeak when walking around but walking isn't as bad as I imagined it would be. They seem to have decent protection, I like the inner boot lacing system but I wish the calf could tighten more or that I just had more muscle in my calves. As they are a pretty heavy duty boot, tactile feel of the controls is less than my previous footwear but so far the work just fine and I find them acceptably comfortable.

All in all, I am happy with my purchase.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hey man, welcome to our riding club! I really hope you're enjoying it so far. I remember the day when I rode a bike for the first time, it was by far the greatest feeling I've ever experienced to that moment. And it's still the same to this day! Boots are definitely an important part of riding, so choosing a suitable pair is essential. From my own experience, I would recommend wearing the Sidi Apex boots. While they're not as comfy and stylish as a brand new pair of adidas yeezy boost 350 (lol), safety always comes first! Good luck.

Edited by qawsder

It is such shoes that simply must be an important part of the wardrobe of a person who has decided to connect his life with such activities. Be sure to think about it if you decide to go down this path. For example, I personally prefer amazing shoes that are sold only on this platform. It is very important for me to feel protected and confident during sports, so my choice fell on this pair of shoes. Be sure to think about it if you don't want to theoretically hurt yourself. And what kind of shoes do you use? Interesting to read.

Edited by rogerlee

Imo the chuck taylor hi-top leather is the penultimate riding boot. Plenty of feeling through the toe, nice stable platform. You can run and walk in them comfortably. The rubber sole is thick and lasts a long time. The only problem is that left shoe eyelets can get mangled from shifting and shred your shoelace but if you tear em off early you can avoid this. They dont offer much in terms of impact protection but will save your skin in a slide. And theyre cheap (for now) :)

P.s if money was no object id use vivo barefoot hiking boots

Edited by 00RAH

• Premium Member

Only my opinion and everyone is welcome to disagree, but only footwear designed and built for motorcycle riding should be considered to be proper riding gear. They're designed specifically for the purpose and functionality/protection is first priority, not fashion. They're made out of materials chosen to hold up better sliding along the asphalt to be better save you from grinding away your ankle bone than a pair of fashionable kicks. 

I'd prefer to be able to literally walk away from a slide than look fashionable on my way to the hospital to see an orthopedic surgeon. But that's just me. ✌️

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

its abit like those folk who say 'dress for the slide, not the ride'

howbout 'you dress for your slide, and ill dress for my ride'

i know they mean well but if crashing is in the back of your mind its on your mind.

why put yourself in a box?

Edited by 00RAH