The MT-07 Forum

Hello from Surrey B.C.

Fast_Frankenstein

Fast_Frankenstein

Hi All, I've been lurking for a couple of years - now I can come out of hiding. Recently picked up an additional bike for the collection - a 2017 FZ07. In December of 2015, I read the article in Roadracing World about Andy Palmer and his FZ07R; frankly my life was changed in that moment. At that time I had A Yamaha R1 (2000), GL1800 (2008), and WR250X (2009), along with a few vintage bikes. The R1 was for raging; the GL kept me and the hottie happy, and the WR250X was my "town-bike" and local parking-lot track day bike - it left quite a bit to be desired on the highway, but raged in rush-hour traffic.

My job was far too time consuming to imagine building what I was imagining as a perfect middle ground between the R1 and 'wing, but I was able to start planning for the future. I located a R6 fork, Nitron shock, R6 wheels, some gearing, tires, and other odds and sods, and on November 28th this year, located the bike - a low mileage 2017, with 5000km on it.

It arrived at the house just as the sun was going down, but I managed to get 40km on it from the dealership, and had opportunity to correctly adjust the chain (it was hanging off the sprockets), install the shock (good lord the stock suspension is as bad as they say.....), adjust the cable slack and all levers closer to where I need them. I got another 20 km on it - much better, although the ABS is easy to find front or rear - so I'll definitely put a switch (likely where the 4-way is on the RH switch gear). 

Here is what I know - this thing is great fun - I can see that wheelies are going to be a treat, once I get a bit more time on it - 3 gears so far, but something tells me that this might just be even better than our demo TL1000S from years ago. The meter assembly is horrid - both in where it's located, as well as its tachometer function (anyone installed an analogue tach?), the motor is a pleasure - easy to use, and buttery, and the chassis, even while limited by soft springs, and no damping reminds me of my RD350LC, light, flickable, nimble.

I've read some of your stories, seen where the bike can be additionally enhanced, recognize that there is a knowledge base here in this place. I'm glad to have lurked, and now look toward working on this transformation with your help. Pictures and words will follow over the next few months. Hi, hello.

IMG_0584.JPG

• Like 6

• Premium Member

Welcome to the forum, looks like you’re gonna fit right in 😁

Looking forward to seeing your project build.

Ed 

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Welcome aboard! 

You mention AP, well here's some archival memorabilia;

Andy Palmer & me at Chuckwalla in March of 2016. That's one of Andy's prototypes belonging to Jason Catching (red), Andy's first production racer belonging to Matt Cina (blue) and my white & blue kit #1,

DSCN2610.thumb.JPG.865ba03ddf6a9639a21e116944b3f6f9.JPG

This was day one shake down of  kit #1,

CVR_5167_Mar2716_by_RG-CaliPhoto.thumb.JPG.b7bc1e5c2f50395bee9bf0c858ff198c.JPG

We're all semi-retired now, the bikes have found new homes and continue to bring smiles to their owners faces and frowns to their competitors. 

DSCN2588.thumb.JPG.e6097d45b04d61f8dfe5b987f51ae36f.JPG

Also present there that weekend was @pgeldz on his street stealth racer.

Enjoy the site, the folks and especially life!

BLR

• Like 2

Fast_Frankenstein

Thanks All,

Once I'd decided that FZ/MT was where I was pointed, and knew that I was looking for an un-faired final look, I started searching on-line for a look - ran across this (see photo). I didn't find @pgeldz until a year later on this site - great looking bike, and the starting point for where I hope to take mine.

Paul has created a new fuel tank cover that is interesting as well - the stock silhouette is very Italian design house - and definitely isn't my first choice. I have imagined creating something more mid-90's TZ inspired, but will likely get in touch with him to see what his actually looks like without the camouflage...

What I do know, is that I'm going to have a bunch of fun with this build.

6n5KkQIh.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Fast_Frankenstein
language edit
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Fast_Frankenstein said:

Thanks All,

Once I'd decided that FZ/MT was where I was pointed, and knew that I was looking for an un-faired final look, I started searching on-line for a look - ran across this (see photo). I didn't find @pgeldz until a year later on this site - great looking bike, and the starting point for where I hope to take mine.

Paul has created a new fuel tank cover that is interesting as well - the stock silhouette is very Italian design house - and definitely isn't my first choice. I have imagined creating something more mid-90's TZ inspired, but will likely get in touch with him to see what his actually looks like without the camouflage...

What I do know, is that I'm going to have a bunch of fun with this build.

6n5KkQIh.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Welcome!

The pic above that @mossrider posted of him under his canopy brings up some great memories...

When I saw his bike in person, I chatted him up and asked quite a lot of questions.  Little did I know he would go on to have his own team and race in MotoAmerica.

That's where I am now, and hope to be a part of the show in the second half of 2021.

As for the tank design on my bike, the tank and tail are actually from Altus Motorsports, and I believe pretty much a copy of AP's original work.

The Nose fairing, bellypan, and side plates under the tail section are all my original work, based heavily on the Paolo Tex bodykits for the older Ducati Monsters.

A TZ inspired race build like the pic you posted above would be MENTAL!  Can't wait to see what you come up with.

This site is a great resource, and there are a lot of us on here that have been through this bike from cradle to grave, so please feel free to reach out if you need anything.

Can't wait to see where this goes...

:)

- Paul

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Little late seeing this, but welcome! I'm from Surrey too, also on a blue 2017. I'm pretty sure I bought a lawnmower from you last year...😂

• Like 1

Fast_Frankenstein

Looking forward to a ride or two - small World. Bike will be on the road in the next month or so.  :)

On 3/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, Loch said:

Little late seeing this, but welcome! I'm from Surrey too, also on a blue 2017. I'm pretty sure I bought a lawnmower from you last year...😂