The MT-07 Forum

Chain Noise

OkieMedic

Hello all. New bike owner here. Just picked up a 2017 FZ07 last week with only 7500 miles on it. 

I have a question regarding noise from the chain. What is an acceptable amount of noise to come from the chain. Mine has an occasional click/bump in it. Is that normal? Something to be concerned with?

Here is a video. 

Thanks in advance!

Normal. 

They're noisiest when under no load such as in your video (there are 1,000 moving parts in your chain fwiw). Just clean it, lube it and ride it.

• Like 1

Sounds just like my chain.  Didn't know what that noise was for couple years until I heard about it on this forum.  Tension is right in the middle of spec. too, so no problem.

I wonder this but too afraid to ask. After I wash my bike I'll take it out around the block to dry off the chain and other nooks and crannies, sometimes I do that without a helmet (I know I shouldn't). But without the helmet I can really hear the chain moving. I wondered if it is the nature of the beast, so now I have 5000 miles on it with no issues yet. So I chocked it up as chains are loud. LOL.

I'm a solo rider so I don't have any reference to other peoples bikes. Just make sure your chain slack is good and aligned straight across the sprockets. 

Edited by Devilman

22 hours ago, OkieMedic said:

Thanks!

How would I know when it is time to change the chain and/or sprockets?

Here's some examples, some of them extreme cases.

Worn-front-sprocket.thumb.jpg.a232701d619184775fc0e1f21117b77c.jpg

Rear sprockets don't generally develop the hook shape that fronts will. On rears, the teeth will go from having a broad flat across the top of the tooth to having a point. At that point, it's beyond used up. 

Grab the chain at the very rear of the sprocket and try to pull it straight back away from the sprocket. You'll will be able to pull it off the sprocket some, it won't be skin tight. But if you can pull it away more than a third of the depth of a tooth it's getting worn. If you can pull the chain away as much as half a tooth it's time to replace the chain right away. 

Edited by shinyribs

Is it normal for these bikes to run pretty rich at idle? I’m getting a bit of smoke when I start it. This is at about 32° F just after starting 

Normal.

That's not smoke it's water vapor (mostly) same as your car when you start it in the cold. The bikes ECU does adjust the mixture as needed on start up depending on several measured factors. 

Nothing to worry about.

• Like 2