The MT-07 Forum

Winter Time Riding Ready!

rfmueller

Probably not a big deal for most, but now I've been able to put together the right gear to comfortably ride as low as 30 degrees for more than an hour.  Some SILICON on the front of my glove fingers and knuckles to deflect the high velocity air as well as create an additional insulation did the trick.  It's still necessary to pull over and thaw the fingers every 30 minutes, but hey, that's no problem.  A couple of very important tips for those that may not know:  Tight or overly snug gloves on fingers will lower blood flow to those digits, which results in cold fingers/toes.  If they're fitted right, yet not so loose as to be sloppy, your fingers and toes will stay warmer longer.  It really works.  Also, I use white finished leather tennis shoes with an extra pair of socks, and my toes never get uncomfortably cold, not even at 17 degrees.   Black absorbs energy from the sun, but it also releases energy just as easily.  White doesn't absorb sun energy very well, but it doesn't release heat energy just as well as it doesn't pull in the sun shine.  The color makes a significant difference.  So, I wear white finished leather Nikes.  

Ski pants have added an excellent layer of warmth as well, besides the full hood.  Those were in storage, so no $$$ needed.

Anyway, it's great to be riding year round now, assuming there's no snow or ice on the roads.  As a matter of fact, a week ago, I got my fix by riding in 20 degree air for about an  hour, but it was necessary to stop more frequently and thaw. 

"Hello, my name is Ray, and I'm a ride-a-holic. ." (Pause for reply:  'Hello Ray').

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

Heated gloves and heated grips work great for the hands.  I use those things that heat up when they are removed from the plastic package in my riding boots.  They are shaped like the sole of the boot and keep my feet toasty.  An insulated leather jacket and winter riding pants complete my winter outfit. 

• Like 1

Haha!! I ride throughout the winter also. My set up depends on just how cold we are talking. To be fair, we don't have to deal with snow or anything in my area. But we do have freezing and a bit below. I've ridden in 19F at city speeds briefly once. Def the coldest I've rode in, but I didn't have good gear then. I have however found what it takes to be pretty darn comfortable at 28F, highway speeds for up to an hour. 

So my set up for the FZ=dickies insulated canvas overalls to keep the legs warm, walmart brand high ankle water proof tactical boots with any decent pair of tall socks, FNDN 5v heated vest (uses a usb power bank or can plug into bike), cheap hoody(this is purely to make my wrist thicker so I can make a seal at my glove jacket meet area), old worn leather jacket(nothing special, not armored, it just cuts the wind REALLY good), correct scarab 2.0 gloves, cycle gear freeze out balaclava, my regular year round helmet with a pin-loc in it, I also got bike master heated grips, sw motech hand guards and a V stream sport touring screen. 

The other thing some folks forget....good sport touring tires. My road attacks are just fine on freezing rides....the stock bridgestones we not near as confident when it was cold.

Stay warm and keep riding friends!!!

• Like 2

I use heated gardening gloves over my biking gloves. Just a little heat from them and the second pair makes a difference. If I rode more in cold weather I would consider bar muffs - ugly (who cares) but effective which is what matters.

• Like 1

Just do it!