The MT-07 Forum

Hello I'm a new member

GUAM-MT07

Hi, I am a new member here. I picked up this 2019 MT07 from someone who didn't like it. 

The bike has 400 miles on the odometer and is flawless. I'm excited to be here and get some advice from you all. 

• Like 2

So I can't seem to upload a picture of my bike, but I do have it as my display picture. 

The 600 mile first oil change is coming up. The dealer wants me to bring it in for oil change costing me $170. Is there a special type of oil they will use for this? Or should I just do my own oil change?

Welcome. I am sure you are liking it. I believe photos cannot be posted until you have done a number of posts. The rules are somewhere on here.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, GUAM-MT07 said:

Hi, I am a new member here. I picked up this 2019 MT07 from someone who didn't like it. 

The bike has 400 miles on the odometer and is flawless. I'm excited to be here and get some advice from you all. 

Congratulations on your new bike. Welcome to the forum. 

Ed 

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, GUAM-MT07 said:

So I can't seem to upload a picture of my bike, but I do have it as my display picture. 

The 600 mile first oil change is coming up. The dealer wants me to bring it in for oil change costing me $170. Is there a special type of oil they will use for this? Or should I just do my own oil change?

Oil changes are not difficult, if you have basic mechanical skills  you can do it. There’s plenty of information and support here. 

As for oil, use a proper motorcycle grade oil and a good filter. I typically use Yamalube and Yamaha filters. Do it yourself costs should be about $50

Ed

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, GUAM-MT07 said:

Loving the bike so far. 600 mile service is coming up. 

I would like to do the oil change myself. What oil would be best 

I would use a Yamaha oil filter and also get a new crush washer for the drain bolt from your dealer.  Any 10w-40 motorcycle oil will work.  My last oil change I used Mobil 1 motorcycle oil from my local auto store.   Sadly dealers charge so much for oil...   I have also used Amsoil Metric motorcycle oil.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Also - it might not be a bad idea to get an oil filter wrench (or maybe a large adjustable pipe wrench like I ended up using for my first oil change). Some of these bikes come from the factory with oil filters that are way too tight and a real pain to take off, plus there's not much room to get leverage with your hands because of the exhaust pipes. An oil filter wrench or a large adjustable pipe wrench will definitely do the trick.

Thanks guys for the info. I think I will go with yamalube oil and I will do it myself. I just thought that there is a "special" type of oil to use while the bike is still in break in period.

I am at 560 miles. 600 miles I will do the oil change 

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 4:07 AM, GUAM-MT07 said:

Loving the bike so far. 600 mile service is coming up. 

I would like to do the oil change myself. What oil would be best 

I'm formerly an Independent AMSOIL dealer and have seen the real world of motor oils.  AMSOIL is still genuinely the best of them, but you'll pay for it too!  There's a good write up on forum somewhere if you want more information.  Now, with that said: modern synthetic motor oils really do a great job with engines:  Any full synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil will work quite well.  Personally, I'll stick with AMSOIL because I've never had to replace my clutch pads on any bike since I run it.  That alone makes it worth my while.

The FZ/MT-07s are a riot!  

Edited by rfmueller

• Premium Member
On 1/3/2021 at 8:09 PM, rfmueller said:

I'm formerly an Independent AMSOIL dealer and have seen the real world of motor oils.  AMSOIL is still genuinely the best of them, but you'll pay for it too!  There's a good write up on forum somewhere if you want more information.  Now, with that said: modern synthetic motor oils really do a great job with engines:  Any full synthetic 10W40 motorcycle oil will work quite well.  Personally, I'll stick with AMSOIL because I've never had to replace my clutch pads on any bike since I run it.  That alone makes it worth my while.

The FZ/MT-07s are a riot!  

Which Amsoil do you reccomend?  I have used the blue capped metric and Marcel Irnie sold me trackside  something with a black cap.  Thanks!

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

The metric motorcycle will be fine.  Amsoil also carries a racing formula (Dominator) that is extreme heat resistant with loads of zinc, as the MC oil has.  It's a tad more per qt, but I don't really think it makes any difference since the motorcycle formula is almost identical.