The MT-07 Forum

Downshifting causing engine to stall

Bericx

I've been riding a new to me 2015 FZ 07 for about a month now. After riding the bike for about an hour when I'm coming to a stop the bike is stalling when I pull in the clutch to blip the throttle for a downshift. I'm able to hold the clutch in and restart the engine and continue on, but as a newer rider the bike is making me lose a lot of confidence. The engine is acting up about 1/3 rides but when it does happen, it will happen continuously throughout the ride after about the one hour mark.

I found a thread from 2015 in this forum about the same issue, not sure if there was ever an answer from Yamaha about how to correct the issue? 

I have no problems starting from a dead stop or upshifting. The engine only cuts out when I clutch in to downshift. The bike is stock as far as I can tell. 

Not sure if this is something any motorcycle shop can fix, or if a Yamaha dealer needs to get involved. 

You might need to get the throttle bodies synchronised (manual states it should be done every 6 months).

If you turn up the idle rpm it may stop it stalling until you can get the sync done.

You say it only happens on downshifts, upshifts are fine and the bike runs fine, or well enough, at least for a while anyways. Since the motorcycle has no idea whether you are going to make an upshift or downshift when you pull in the clutch we can assume there is something else afoot. Most folks make their upshifts at a higher rpm than their downshifts by nature. This keeps the rpm up high enough so there is no risk of motor stall and also makes for a smooth transmission shift on upshift. Therefore I suspect your rpm is dropping too low during downshifts either thru improper technique/poor timing or as a result of mechanical deficiency of the machine. If one were to downshift around 3500rpm there is no way to stall the motor.

Turn the idle up a smidge or stop lugging it. 🙂