The MT-07 Forum

What are the Best Grips for Arthritic Hands?

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

This past season I have been experiencing a lot of hand pain while riding, especially in my throttle hand--my doctor tells me it's osteoarthritis.  I was thinking that "stickier" grips would help, as I would not have to grip the bars as firmly to get the job done. 

Have any fellow riders had similar difficulties?  Has anyone discovered the "Holy Grail" of handgrips for hand pain relief?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

• Global Moderator

I experience neuropathy also because reasons, have been using Pro-Grip 714 dual sport grips. It helps. I've posted about it in one of the "bar end weights" threads. Hope you find a good solution.

Here found it.

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm also a fan of the Pro-Grip 714s. They have larger diameter than stock grips and have just enough tack to be able to hold throttle position by just laying your hand on the grip after you're up to speed. I usually just lay my fingers along the brake lever once I'm up to speed with my hand completely relaxed.

I've also heard some are fans of Grip Puppies as well. 

Good luck resolving your issue.

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I know from a previous experience that arthritis may be lurking in the wings for me.  I am exercising my hands. I have grip puppies which are currently to deal with any vibration but with their larger grip diameter and 'sticky' surface should help. And I would be trying to find my throttle rest that so far I have managed without.

• Thanks 1

Just do it! 

• Global Moderator
51 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm also a fan of the Pro-Grip 714s

You recommended them to me DewMan, so the trophy goes to you amigo! They did change the name a bit, from "rally" to "dual sport", but this is for sure the right Pro-Grip pn# "PA071400GO02"

Edited by Pursuvant
added pn#
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I tried Grip Puppies last season and didn't really find that they helped.  I'll have to give the Pro-Grip 714s a try this coming season.  Thanks so much for all your helpful suggestions--much appreciate it. 😀

• Premium Member

I'm having the same issue. I'm have carpal-tunnel surgery soon. I have a device called 
"Cramp-buster" (www.crampbuster.com) on my street bike. My throttle hand always had more issues. The cramp-buster didn't completely make my issues go away, but made it MUCH more manageable. For $10, it may be worth looking at. I put one on my wife's bike as well. She has no hand issues, but it just makes riding more enjoyable for her-

• Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• 1 month later...
On 1/10/2021 at 11:30 AM, cornerslider said:

I'm have carpal-tunnel surgery soon.

While I don't know exactly what the pain is that the OP refers to, what I can say is this. Almost everytime I rode my FZ, I would get a tingling/numbness feeling in my hands. It would eventually go away if I rode long enough, but there would be a lot of shaking my hands and making a lot of fists to try to alleviate it. I also had this problem with riding bicycle as well.

Well.... much to my unexpected surprise, this all went away COMPLETELY after my carpal tunnel surgery. For some reason, I never thought of carpal tunnel as the cause of my hand problems with riding. The hand numbness stuff while riding went on for years before I started having more serious carpal tunnel issues that caused me to get the surgery.

My only caution is to do thorough research on your hand doctor. Those operations typically go well, but some docs are a lot better than others.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

I know that I said I tried Grip Puppies, but it was actually a similar product called Grab On Grip Covers.  Upon further investigation I have discovered that Grip Puppies are a bit thinner and a bit more "sticky."  So, I just might try the Grip Puppies, because my problem with the Grab On grips was that I found them a bit too thick and not quite "sticky" enough.

Thanks again for all your help everyone--you guys are just the best. 👍

• Premium Member
On 2/18/2021 at 1:56 PM, FZ not MT said:

While I don't know exactly what the pain is that the OP refers to, what I can say is this. Almost everytime I rode my FZ, I would get a tingling/numbness feeling in my hands. It would eventually go away if I rode long enough, but there would be a lot of shaking my hands and making a lot of fists to try to alleviate it. I also had this problem with riding bicycle as well.

Well.... much to my unexpected surprise, this all went away COMPLETELY after my carpal tunnel surgery. For some reason, I never thought of carpal tunnel as the cause of my hand problems with riding. The hand numbness stuff while riding went on for years before I started having more serious carpal tunnel issues that caused me to get the surgery.

My only caution is to do thorough research on your hand doctor. Those operations typically go well, but some docs are a lot better than others.

Thanks for the tip. I'm getting both hands done next month at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. They have minimally invasive ultrasound-assisted CTR procedure. The Mayo is the only place doing this new procedure. Heal up time is only two weeks per hand!!!! I'm have plenty of time to heal before track season starts-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, cornerslider said:

Thanks for the tip. I'm getting both hands done next month at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. They have minimally invasive ultrasound-assisted CTR procedure. The Mayo is the only place doing this new procedure. Heal up time is only two weeks per hand!!!! I'm have plenty of time to heal before track season starts-

Best of luck to you for a speedy and complete recovery. 🤞

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I'm getting both hands done next month at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN.

Can't go wrong with Mayo!

Best wishes 👍

Funny side story - my hand doc was a seriously hot 40 year old woman who was also pretty cool. The operation was done outpatient, and I was wide awake. I was asked ahead of time what music I liked which I answered with why they were asking me that. Turns out the doc liked music playing when she operated, and she was cool with anything except for heavy metal. I asked for classic blues which I thought was perfect as.... I had me the carpal tunnel blues 🎶🎸

Edited by FZ not MT
  • Haha 1

Odi Rogue lock on grips are the only thing I've found comparable to 714's. They are equally large diameter and a fair bit stickier than 714's.  They come with an assortment of throttle cams depending how fast you like your throttle. They look like tire tread because dirt bike + muddy events, so the looks may turn folks off. I've gotten hooked on them due to diameter, grippiness and vibe reduction ( super squishy), and they don't hold water in the pores like 714's. Never thought I'd walk away from my beloved 714's...

Oxford grips are equally as fat, but darn near hard plastic. 

• Thanks 1

I use Pro Grip Dual Sport 714's, they help somewhat but I still get tingles in my throttle hand.  A throttle lock helps on the highway.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to diagnose anyone, but it's a good idea to avoid bending your wrists backwards (like you're twisting to speed up) for a long time, and repeatedly.    It could start or worsen carpal tunnel syndrome.  It's easy to do if you're not thinking about it.  I've tried to get in the habit of getting a new purchase on the grip if a wrist is bent that way, so I can keep my wrists fairly straight.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
44 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

I've tried to get in the habit of getting a new purchase on the grip if a wrist is bent that way, so I can keep my wrists fairly straight.

Me too--have always done it that way. 👍

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

I'm not trying to diagnose anyone, but it's a good idea to avoid bending your wrists backwards (like you're twisting to speed up) for a long time, and repeatedly.    It could start or worsen carpal tunnel syndrome.  It's easy to do if you're not thinking about it.  I've tried to get in the habit of getting a new purchase on the grip if a wrist is bent that way, so I can keep my wrists fairly straight.

Obviously, using the OEM R6 throttle tube helps a lot with that.

Speaking of grips, I like the grips that come on the R6. When you buy the R6 throttle tube, it comes with the grip already attached. I rode that for several hundred miles with my grips mismatched before I got the clutch side R6 grip. I felt as though the R6 grips were grippier than the stock FZ-07 grips.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried Pro Grip Dual Sport 714's and Progrip 714BK . Neither was great but both were better than stock. I just changed them to the Odi Rouge Dual-Ply Off-Road/Dirt Bike Motorcycle Hand Grips - Black/Black/Size 130mm. What a difference. They are about an 1/8 of an inch short however the vibration is at least 80% less than the others.  I am very happy someone suggested them.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Anyone using bar end mirrors on these 714 or any of the above ? Seems like you have to cut the ends off?

Throttle Rocker or Crampbuster might help with the throttle

51VEQXNilCL._AC_SL1002_.jpg

41IY8dc6uJL._AC_.jpg

This and some stickier grips might help.   

• Like 1

I use the cramp buster (s) both grips,with Odi Rouge Dual-Ply Off-Road/Dirt Bike Motorcycle Hand Grips - Black/Black/Size 130mm. That made a big difference

• Like 1

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Since this thread is still alive, I thought that I should give all you good folks an update:  I cut off my Grab On Grip Covers and switched to Grip Puppies.  I am happy to report that the change has knocked my pain level down to a tolerable level, and I am enjoying riding again.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions--much appreciate all your help. 😀

I’ve seen a couple people talk about it, but is numbness in the fingers along with pain in the middle of the hand a normal thing? I’ve always had a little pain in my throttle hand after about a hour of riding(dirt or street), and I’ve always just put it off as too much pressure on my wrists/hands, but recently it’s turned into my fingers going numb.

I have just always assumed it’s because of the pressure I’ve put on my bars and it’s normal but, after raising them about a inch, I still on cold or stressful days(I assume now, it’s my tightened grip) get hand cramps and numbness.  Am I correct in my understanding that bigger stickier grips would help relieve this? I mean it makes sense, but I don’t have the best track record with understanding simple shet so I really just want to double check before I start making purchases 

• 2 weeks later...
Standupnfall

Heated Grips would be my vote. I run Symtec Heat Demon on all my bikes. Makes my hands feel great on a cool morning.

I run Renthal Full Diamond grips which are very thin and make the grip smaller but I would not reccomend those to you.

• Like 1