The MT-07 Forum

What to list under "selling price" for a CA DMV NRL?

maz20

Hi there,

My stolen FZ-07 was recovered and declared a "total loss" by my insurer and they've sent me a payout for it. But, by California law, I must also file a "Notice of Release of Liability" with the DMV as well, which requests that I also specify a "selling price" for my bike. 

Do I just put $0 because there was technically "no sale" ? Or, do I have to estimate what the "salvage value" of my bike was? I certainly wouldn't put the insurance settlement amount for the "selling price", because that amount is based on my bike's "previous condition" and that condition is definitely not what I transferred to my insurer!

Edited by maz20

• Global Moderator
10 hours ago, maz20 said:

Hi there,

My stolen FZ-07 was recovered and declared a "total loss" by my insurer and they've sent me a payout for it. But, by California law, I must also file a "Notice of Release of Liability" with the DMV as well, which requests that I also specify a "selling price" for my bike. 

Do I just put $0 because there was technically "no sale" ? Or, do I have to estimate what the "salvage value" of my bike was? I certainly wouldn't put the insurance settlement amount for the "selling price", because that amount is based on my bike's "previous condition" and that condition is definitely not what I transferred to my insurer!

I would ask your insurance agent what to do, they deal with this issue on a daily basis.  

Sorry to hear about the loss of your bike.  What are you planning to do for a replacement?

No plans on getting a replacement soon -- may be doing a bit of travel instead (by airplane, that is! 😁) soon, so no plans on replacing my daily local commuter at this time...

However, I have been curious about Honda's NC750X -- I test-rode an NC700X a while back and while the top-end was lacking I did like that it basically gave you all the power right from idle (pretty useful around town as a commuter with the usual stop-and-go traffic everywhere).

Edited by maz20

Sunnycalibear

I believe you do list the price based off your bikes condition prior to the theft. I think this shouldn't effect you in any way its just for the bike history when searched on Carfax etc.