The MT-07 Forum

Riding A Razor Scooter Is The Best Way To Understand Counter Steering

shintachou

Until I got my first motorcycle years ago, I had no idea counter steering is the right way to initiate a turn, and to look ahead where you are going.  Bicycle is another good way to learn these principles, but it requires much bigger space to really experiment with it, and you can eat shzt and crash like riding a motorcycle if you mess up.

Just bought a Razor scooter so I can ride around with my sons, and I was kinda shocked how much I learned on this toy.  Wheels on a scooter turn fast enough even at low speed, so it's much easier and safer to mess around and experiment with the physics and effects of handle bar movement, and how effective it is by looking at where you are trying to go.

For example, one observation I made is if I tried to turn the bike right by turning handle bar right, it pretty much initiates a tank slapper, which could easily cause a fall if I was experimenting this on a motorcycle or bicycle at a faster speed. 

If you are teaching someone to ride a motorcycle and they are doubting the concept of counter steering, buy them a scooter to mess around with :D

scooter.thumb.jpg.df40fc7b705a75f67805964bb40c1ffe.jpg

• Like 2

I only learned about counter steering after returning to motorcycling. My opinion about learning it is never to try it on a bicycle. I did once try it and I was nearly off; I think it may be the small amount of gyroscopic effect that makes it dangerous.  I do think that it is a vital skill to learn. We all do it naturally but to have it as a weapon in the armoury is really helpful. Very interesting about the scooter.

• Like 1

Just do it! 

• Premium Member

But will it pull a 2nd gear wheelie?  😁

I like the idea of the instant feedback with the small wheels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Countersteering happens when you ride a bicycle too, even if you don't realize it.  I particularly notice it when I want to avoid an object on the road.  The thing about countersteering is that it's usually subtle, and you're not necessarily aware you're doing it.  It's just a slight wrong-way adjustment to the handlebar to initiate the lean, and once you're actually turning you're no longer countersteering.

My kids rode Razor type scooters around our garage a lot when they were little.  When it came time to try a bicycle they were scared.  I told them that they already knew how, and just had to get the hang of the pedals and brakes.  To their surprise, it was true.  It's definitely a very good way to learn to ride a bicycle.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

Countersteering happens when you ride a bicycle too, even if you don't realize it.  I particularly notice it when I want to avoid an object on the road.  The thing about countersteering is that it's usually subtle, and you're not necessarily aware you're doing it.  It's just a slight wrong-way adjustment to the handlebar to initiate the lean, and once you're actually turning you're no longer countersteering.

Yes.

• Like 2

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York