The MT-07 Forum

Radiator guard on 2020 MT-07?

JeffL

Howdy all, any opinions on installing an aftermarket guard on a 2020 MT-07? Is the radiator sturdy enough to take a few rock hits, etc ?

Thanks!

Jeff 

• Premium Member

I highly recommend using a grill guard. The fins are not very sturdy and can be easily damaged/bent with just a finger tip not using a lot of pressure. A grill guard is a relatively cheap insurance to help prevent that damage.

There are many cheap brands to choose from and many of them will barely cover the fins themselves and not the entire front. 

The Evotech grill guard covers the entire front of the radiator, not just the fins. and nearly blacks out the radiator for a better than stock look IMO.

You can read my installation and review thoughts here:

The last thing you need during a ride is to suddenly find out you're overheating due to a leaky radiator.

This is an 10 minute mod I'd recommend to anyone with a radiator.

• Like 4

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

I'll take a pic of the evotech and my radiator, i'm baking the vht paint on the blackout job today. it's a quality bit, order it up before you need it, they are back ordered right now at most places, but evotech is shipping regularly so they can fill BO orders in a week. Its also far from your only option, shop around you can find an ebay discount clone you can live with, but check user comments so you dont get a dud

Evotech is Euro made, you can get it probably no wait at a Livermore bike shop

Edited by Pursuvant

Thr radiator was damaged on my bike when I bought it, though not enough to stop me buying it. My first mod was therefore a guard. I bought an Evotech. Very simple fit. 

Just do it! 

Thanks for the feedback! I just ordered the Evotech. I did look at some of the cheap ones that really don't fit well, and don't cover completely. I feel better spending a few more $$$ for a better one. And thanks DewMan for your post and pictures!

Jeff

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

Evotech rad guard fitment pics

EvotechRadGuard_03.thumb.jpg.2aa911ab7b49d25d2357959e552f4bd3.jpg

EvotechRadGuard_04.jpg.7ffd2759101c0d0e1223ee193fbea822.jpg

Edited by Pursuvant
  • Like 2

Today I ordered this one from Aliexpress.  I'll post about how I like it when it eventually arrives.

+1 on the Evotech. I didn't think I needed one on my '18 (since '18 and up have black radiators), but as soon as I saw a few dings and bent fins, I picked one up. Expensive for what it is, but its a quality piece. Regardless of route, I think a little extra protection for the radiator is a good thing.

+2 on the Evotech.  A little more expensive than some but the fit and finish is great.  Got mine from MotoMachine, and they're showing them in stock right now:  

evotech-performance-radiator-guard-yamah

<p>Evotech Performance radiator guards attach to your bike’s existing mounting points.</p> <p>No modifications are required to your motorcycle.</p> <p>Hexagonal hole pattern to optimise...

Mike

Installed the Evotech radiator guard today. It is very well built - nice and sturdy. My only gripe is there were no instructions at all. I found a British web page that showed how to install the 6 rubber spacers. It's like "Where's Waldo?" trying to find the 6 round holes (as opposed to the hex holes) to insert the spacers thru. I discovered I already had a small nick on the radiator fins after only 350 miles on this new bike. I would recommend a guard!

Jeff

• Global Moderator
26 minutes ago, JeffL said:

how to install the 6 rubber spacers

You gave me a big big laugh when I read  the six spacers, then I went out in the shop trash can, fetched out the protect pak the Evotech came in, and retrieved these 6 round rubber spacers that probably should have been installed with the guard hahaha. Thank you, Mr. Jeff!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I got the guard from AliExpress seller FREAXLL Official Store this morning.  It was $30.99 delivered.  It's made from decent material, but it had a couple problems I corrected before installing it.

The bends at the sides were overbent a little (bent a little too much), making it difficult to fit over the Tinnerman nuts on the radiator trim mounts.  That was easily fixed with a little hand bending in a vise.

The other problem was that the two bends to make clearance for the upper radiator tank were put in about a quarter of an inch too high, so the guard didn't quite bend outward soon enough to clear the bottom edge of the tank.  Having it against the tank, or even too close to it, would probably be a source of an annoying rattle, and eventually would cause wear on the tank.  So I flattened it and re-bent the two bends one row of holes farther down.  Now it clears nicely.

That second problem is out of the "trivial" category.  I don't know if all the ones they sell are that way or if mine got put into the bending brake a little out of position, but unless you're willing to do what I did, I wouldn't recommend this guard.

I can't see any place to put on the sticky foam tape they supplied.  I assume it's supposed to go between the guard and the radiator if it's touching somewhere.  Maybe I was supposed to put it on on the guard where it was too close to the tank, but I don't like stuff like that because road grit will get in there, and even with the foam it could slowly cause wear.

I like the fit now, and it looks good.  I'll be listening for rattles next time I go for a ride, and after a few hundred miles I'll look carefully to make sure nothing is out of place or rubbing something.  I'll also be watching the coolant temperature as the weather warms up, since it looks like this guard with hexagonal holes, like the Evotech, probably restricts air flow more than the official Yamaha guard does.

Edited by Triple Jim

• Global Moderator

If the holes in the grid are round (or even nearly so) you can likely find simple grommets to pop in, three across top and three across bottom, where if the touched they would land on the solid top and bottom radiator tank ends. That's a copy of what evotech does

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

If the holes in the grid are round (or even nearly so) you can likely find simple grommets to pop in, three across top and three across bottom, where if the touched they would land on the solid top and bottom radiator tank ends. That's a copy of what evotech does

They're all hexagonal, and the guard is not touching or in danger of touching anything other then its mounting points now.  If I see any evidence of that changing, or if I hear rattling, I'll enlarge holes and install rubber bumpers as necessary.

Edited by Triple Jim