The MT-07 Forum

Tank grip removal and reuse

seven

I have a thought that I might want to paint or vinyl wrap parts of my bike but I have tank grips installed. Ideally I would remove the tank grips and reuse them. Has anyone done this before and have any info to share? My thought would be to peel the tank grip off (maybe after applying a little bit of heat) and then using a spray contact cement to put them back on.

If I can't salvage the tank grips I probably will just shelve this project as I don't want to effectively throw away $100 to get new tank grips.

I have never forgotten gluing a mirror above a hand basin only for it to come unstuck...  The right glue for the purpose would be needed. 

Just do it! 

5 hours ago, seven said:

Can you explain why not?

I wouldn’t use glue if you’re going to stick it back on painted surface since it would probably damage paint. 

why would anyone use gorilla glue? That’s a hair care product...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Nealsmo said:

I wouldn’t use glue if you’re going to stick it back on painted surface since it would probably damage paint. 

why would anyone use gorilla glue? That’s a hair care product...

I would think it would only damage the paint if I later again wanted to remove it but at that point I would accept that I would have a lot more prep to do and possibly the tank grips might have had enough of being put on and off.