The MT-07 Forum

Upgrade!?

vitaltears

Hey guys, I was just wondering if its worth it to upgrade to the new MT07 or just keep the last gen "1st Gen in my case" until a big major change? I have a 2015 that I bought brand new, I kept it around just incase I have the itch to ride now & then. 

1623342796_159960946_816070542624838_3565414974306943147_n(2).jpg.885abe1d8b44744d5c92ef7ffbe441ff.jpg

If you just ride "now and then", and your FZ is in good condition, I don't see the point in spending money on a new motorcycle.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
cornerslider

The only changes are cosmetic, and the MT has ABS standard.... Other than that, it's the exact same bike-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

US model 2021 will have an upgraded dash, LED headlight (if I'm remembering correctly)  and some new plastics... but as for performance there is no change... I wouldnt say it's worth the upgrade if you already have one.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

US model 2021 will have an upgraded dash, LED headlight (if I'm remembering correctly)  and some new plastics... but as for performance there is no change... I wouldnt say it's worth the upgrade if you already have one.

Actually some sources say the 2021 MT-07 will have about one HP less because of  Euro emissions compliance.  The specs also say it's  slightly heavier, up to 406.  That's not going to make a seat of the pants performance change, but it is a change.  Note the thingy hanging on the exhaust collector of the new 2 into 1 exhaust system in the photos.

Also the front brake rotors are a little bigger on the 2021, and the turn signals are now small and not orange.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 11:49 AM, Triple Jim said:

Actually some sources say the 2021 MT-07 will have about one HP less because of  Euro emissions compliance.  The specs also say it's  slightly heavier, up to 406.  That's not going to make a seat of the pants performance change, but it is a change.  Note the thingy hanging on the exhaust collector of the new 2 into 1 exhaust system in the photos.

Also the front brake rotors are a little bigger on the 2021, and the turn signals are now small and not orange.

Do you think a 2015 exhaust will bolt up to the new one? I figured they'd keep them basically unchanged for manufacturing coats.

I'm sorry, although it seems likely it would fit, I really don't know.

Edited by Triple Jim

1 hour ago, Rider360 said:

Is that some type of frame brace?

What, the thing on the exhaust pipe?  I assumed it's a cover for a sensor or a heat shield for your leg, or a decorative cover for the ugly big single down pipe.  Or maybe all three.  :)

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

What, the thing on the exhaust pipe?  I assumed it's a cover for a sensor or a heat shield for your leg, or a decorative cover for the ugly big single down pipe.  Or maybe all three.  :)

At first I thought that it might be exhaust wrap but it looks like a belly pan

https://fz07.org/thread/15/fz-07-bellypan/

4 minutes ago, i28 said:

At first I thought that it might be exhaust wrap but it looks like a belly pan

https://fz07.org/thread/15/fz-07-bellypan/

I'm not sure what you mean.  A new stock MT-07 doesn't have a belly pan, but it has a new exhaust system with a 2 into 1 pipe.  The big single pipe has a sheet metal cover over it.  I was guessing at the reason.

2 hours ago, Rider360 said:

I was talking about the red pipe that looks like it might stiffen the frame. Nice bike by the way!

It's a crash cage, bike protection (common on stunt bikes).

Yamaha UK bought out a 'Moto Cage' MT07 stunt version in 2015 with one fitted:

image.png.b1af908798f49278d66810b0f74aaf70.png