The MT-07 Forum

MotionPro Stock R6 Throttle Tube Replacement

seven

Trying to find a Canadian retailer/supplier for a stock R6 throttle tube I found this MotionPro on a different site:

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Anyone know if these are any good?

I'm looking to do something similar to the throttle tamer discussion and create a custom profile to ease the initial throttle opening and then ramp up from there. This tube I can get for $11 versus the ~$60 my local dealer wants for the OE R6 tube.

I ordered mine from FortNine, free shipping over $50 if you bump up your order size

Some info stolen from this post: 

"Factory FZ-07 requires a full 90° of rotation (1/4 turn) to go from idle to full throttle. The Motion Pro throttle tube requires 72° of rotation (1/5 turn) to perform the same operation. The R6 throttle tube requires the least amount of rotation with only 60° (1/6 turn) to get the job done."

This is the one you linked, R6

This is the one I have, in between stock and R6

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Loch said:

"Factory FZ-07 requires a full 90° of rotation (1/4 turn) to go from idle to full throttle. The Motion Pro throttle tube requires 72° of rotation (1/5 turn) to perform the same operation. The R6 throttle tube requires the least amount of rotation with only 60° (1/6 turn) to get the job done."

That's interesting.  I remember when a 1/4 turn throttle was considered a very fast throttle.  For me, any quicker would not enhance my riding experience on my MT-07.   :)

Next time I replace my grips, I think I'm going back to the OEM throttle tube. I like having finer control over the throttle, less on/off than the already snatchy fueling. Reading through the "twitchy throttle" post above, I might try that snail cam fix to make the 0-25% throttle smoother and then ramp up from there

1 minute ago, Triple Jim said:

That's interesting.  I remember when a 1/4 turn throttle was considered a very fast throttle.  For me, any quicker would not enhance my riding experience on my MT-07.   :)

And I am not really looking for quicker either, I want to basically create more linear power delivery and tame the low throttle opening twitchiness. So I was thinking if I start with the R6 and tame it down so the initial inputs are softer than stock and then ramp up so the end is normal R6, I would end up with a total throw about the same as stock or maybe a bit less but have really nice and precise inputs for low speed maneuvers. 

• Like 1

Odd that the Motion Pro is not the same throw as the R6 tube when it is marketed as a stock replacement.

2 minutes ago, seven said:

And I am not really looking for quicker either, I want to basically create more linear power delivery and tame the low throttle opening twitchiness. So I was thinking if I start with the R6 and tame it down so the initial inputs are softer than stock and then ramp up so the end is normal R6, I would end up with a total throw about the same as stock or maybe a bit less but have really nice and precise inputs for low speed maneuvers. 

Neat.  I'll be watching for your results.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
39 minutes ago, seven said:

And I am not really looking for quicker either, I want to basically create more linear power delivery and tame the low throttle opening twitchiness

Send the man @D.A.  for custom throttle profiles an email, tell him what you want, he can give you the grooves you should cut to get there and best tube to start with

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, seven said:

I had the 2WDW  ECU flash to tame the twitchiness. I don't think any changes in throttle tube will resolve that unless it's a custom job with such a slow curve you'd need about 180° of rotation.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

2 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I had the 2WDW  ECU flash to tame the twitchiness. I don't think any changes in throttle tube will resolve that unless it's a custom job with such a slow curve you'd need about 180° of rotation.

I have the 2WDW tune waiting to be flashed to the bike as soon as I can get warm enough weather to install the FTEcu. With mixed opinions of the effectiveness of the tune I am also considering this mod. The kicker is I want to install heated grips so I can start riding but would hate to install the grips on the stock tube just to possibly replace the tube in the near future as I would worry I would ruin the grip. I know, 1st world problems.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, seven said:

I have the 2WDW tune waiting to be flashed to the bike as soon as I can get warm enough weather to install the FTEcu. With mixed opinions of the effectiveness of the tune I am also considering this mod. The kicker is I want to install heated grips so I can start riding but would hate to install the grips on the stock tube just to possibly replace the tube in the near future as I would worry I would ruin the grip. I know, 1st world problems.

I suggest getting the flash installed first then decide if you need any throttle changes.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I have the Motion Pro on my DRZ.  That motor needed a little help with throttle response.  I like the fact that it's a beefy aluminum piece vs plastic.  More for durability on a dirt bike that gets dropped often.

I plan on the 2WDW tune first on MT, then modify existing throttle tube if it's not smooth enough. 

Edited by Nealsmo

19 hours ago, DewMan said:

4 hours ago, Nealsmo said:

I plan on the 2WDW tune first on MT, then modify existing throttle tube if it's not smooth enough. 

Call me a speed drug addict....  Get the 2WDW flash, and while it's being done, install the OEM R6 throttle tube. Then you get to enjoy the benefit of both at once 😁

I did the flash first, then around 500 miles later I did the R6 tube. My regret was not to have done them at the same time. They both make a noticeable difference, and I'm sure that together, it would have been a good rush. Like many of you, I read all stuff on the Motion Pro and the OEM R6 tubes. IMHO, hands down the OEM R6 tube is the way to go. You will quickly get use to the R6 tube, and if you get the Motion Pro, you will  just be pissed at yourself for not getting the more radical tube. Lastly, I had NO/ZERO twitchiness after the flash and tube swap 👍

The price is still not bad, and there is no rush to get the other grip as they look similar, and no, you don't want to try to swap the throttle grips out.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/yamaha/2C0-26240-00-00

Edited by FZ not MT
  • Like 3