The MT-07 Forum

Using jack stands under Vagabond frame sliders for tire change

goshe22

Hey folks,

It's tire change time. There isn't a bike shop close to me so ordering and receiving a front tree fork stand will take a bit of time to obtain. I have a 2019 with a center stand and have Vagabond sliders on there. With the center stand taking most of the weight (and rear tire) off, does anyone see any issues with resting the sliders on a couple of tall jack stands to lift the front? I've seen the notion referenced other places but the Vagabond sliders in particular aren't bolted but more size molded to the frame. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

• Premium Member

Another option would be to just tie or weigh down the rear of the bike while on the center stand to pivot the  front of the bike off the ground. It may require removing the front fender to clear the tire though. 

Good luck 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

You need some weight ( three crates of beer or whatever and an old car battery), lashing strap, some material for padding and for your inner peace a little support beneath the oil pan  :D

PXL_20201114_103807025_noexif.thumb.jpg.961f36a5f087536194450fc146b90614.jpg

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
cornerslider
54 minutes ago, goshe22 said:

Hey folks,

It's tire change time. There isn't a bike shop close to me so ordering and receiving a front tree fork stand will take a bit of time to obtain. I have a 2019 with a center stand and have Vagabond sliders on there. With the center stand taking most of the weight (and rear tire) off, does anyone see any issues with resting the sliders on a couple of tall jack stands to lift the front? I've seen the notion referenced other places but the Vagabond sliders in particular aren't bolted but more size molded to the frame. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I see no issue with that.... I did my forks recently with a rear stand, and two tall jack stands under my "T-Rex" frame sliders. I don't know how the Vagabond sliders mount, but they should be designed to take a considerable side-loading (which is what jack stands would be doing). If they can't take a light loading like you are talking about, they were never gonna work as a frame slider anyway-

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Well boys, it worked! The bike is up with both tires off the ground and feels surprisingly solid. FYI for anyone else that wants to attempt this - the frame cutouts for the sliders are very much offset, so two jack stands at the same height will not work for both sides of the bike. I was stumped at first and though the stands weren't level or the ground wasn't level but sure enough after looking at the bike from the front, the frame is actually not symmetrical. Thanks to everyone for your input, love this community!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, goshe22 said:

...does anyone see any issues with resting the sliders on a couple of tall jack stands to lift the front?...

I currently have Shogun sliders on my FZ07. I’ve put jack stands underneath the sliders on several occasions and it has always worked great. 

However, it’s not totally necessary to rely on the sliders since the jack stands will fit directly under the frame itself, giving you an even more solid support. The only caveat is you may want to remove the radiator cowls so they don’t get scratched. I also remove the coolant overflow tank for the same reason. 

As you can see in the photo I use towels for protection. I also use 2x4’s and wedges under the stand on the left side of the bike to compensate for the FZ’s asymmetrical frame. 

407B7369-2965-42C0-BF21-03E26078D4AF.thumb.jpeg.e2db6d2b0694e13a2c3207a283b454f9.jpeg

• Like 5

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, D.A. said:

I currently have Shogun sliders on my FZ07. I’ve put jack stands underneath the sliders on several occasions and it has always worked great. 

However, it’s not totally necessary to rely on the sliders since the jack stands will fit directly under the frame itself, giving you an even more solid support. The only caveat is you may want to remove the radiator cowls so they don’t get scratched. I also remove the coolant overflow tank for the same reason. 

As you can see in the photo I use towels for protection. I also use 2x4’s and wedges under the stand on the left side of the bike to compensate for the FZ’s asymmetrical frame. 

407B7369-2965-42C0-BF21-03E26078D4AF.thumb.jpeg.e2db6d2b0694e13a2c3207a283b454f9.jpeg

Great idea!  Definitely solid and safe.

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York