The MT-07 Forum

Bike rear ended and probably totalled. Fix myself?

atxjax

I got rear ended 3 weeks ago. Damage to rear plastics, taillight, wheel, and frame. 

Estimated cost to repair is $6850.  Not sure what insurance is going to do. Should I take the money and fix it myself? 

IMG_20210309_060420_DRO.jpg

If the insurance company totals it they should be able to give you a buyback deal at a great price.  Then yes, fix it yourself and enjoy the cash.  Just be sure you don't have a problem like a bent frame that will make you disassemble the whole thing to fix, unless you don't  mind doing that.  Do you know exactly what's wrong with it?  Like if you got an itemized repair estimate.

My daughter went through that with her car and pocketed something like $1,200.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Triple Jim said:

If the insurance company totals it they should be able to give you a buyback deal at a great price.  Then yes, fix it yourself and enjoy the cash.  Just be sure you don't have a problem like a bent frame that will make you disassemble the whole thing to fix, unless you don't  mind doing that.  Do you know exactly what's wrong with it?  Like if you got an itemized repair estimate.

My daughter went through that with her car and pocketed something like $1,200.

Unfortunately yes. It neds a new frame. I dont mind doing the work. It shouldnt be that hard. But I think the estimator quoted it wrong. I have the Silver and Blurple bike. Whats quoted below  is a black frame and my frame is blurple. Unless blurple isnt available anymore. 

Anyone know what model the silver and blurple is? There are 3 different submodels in 2016.

FZ07GB

FZ07GGY

FZ07GS

Untitled.jpg

Edited by atxjax

8 hours ago, atxjax said:

...I think the estimator quoted it wrong. I have the Silver and Blurple bike. Whats quoted below  is a black frame and my frame is blurple. Unless blurple isnt available anymore. 

Anyone know what model the silver and blurple is? There are 3 different submodels in 2016.

FZ07GB

FZ07GGY

FZ07GS

Looks to me like they quoted the correct frame on your parts list.

As you indicated, the 3 models sold in the USA in 2016 were:

FZ07GB =   Raven (ColorRite/Yamaha code 0903 Black Metallic X • or SMX for short)

FZ07GGY = Armor Gray (ColorRite/Yamaha code 1511 Bluish Gray Solid 4) (the one with yellow wheels)

FZ07GS =   Matte Silver (ColorRite/Yamaha code 1160 Mat Silver #1 • or MS1 for short) with blurple frame and wheels

Since you have the Matte Silver bike, you'll want to select parts that mention "MS1". For instance, if you were shopping at Partshark.com, you'd buy "Frame Comp UR FOR MS1 • part # 1WS-21110-50-00" for $521.73.

Shop online for OEM Frame parts that fit your 2016 Yamaha FZ07 (FZ07GS), search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

Edited by D.A.

Thanks for the info. They were being really nit picky about everything on the bike. There is some stuff on there I don't need. Plus they still haven't taken into account any of my aftermarket stuff. 

I think the only thing that is slightly bent upwards and can be flattened back down is where the taillight mounts. 

$4K labor is ridiculous. I can do the work myself. I'll take the money from the  estimate parts workup and have them pay me some for labor and I'll do it myself.  I just don't want them to total it. 

• Like 1

Update:

State Farm wants to total it out. Frame at rear is tweaked to the right and up some. Not sure what the payout is going to be. 

Considering taking the money and not buying it back. What I want to do is offer it for parts swaps if anyone needs specific good parts off t his bike. The front plastics are perfect. Has M4 pipe. Engine only has 4900 miles on its 3rd oil change.

IMG_20210322_173152_DRO.jpg

• Premium Member
cornerslider

If all that is really bent is the subframe, you might want to consider buying it back- if the price was right. There are couple companies out there that build an aluminum subframe to replace what's bent on yours. You can contact robbem engineering (I think they are a site sponsor here?), or Andy Palmer of APmotoarts makes one as well (Google APmotoarts). The rest of the cosmetic stuff is pretty cheap to replace. You might be in a better place than you think, and not that hard to fix 😎.... Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Update as of 3/23/21

State Farm offered to total out the bike for $6672. Or I can keep the bike and they pay me $5141.

I have my eyes on a FZ09 with 800 miles on it for $7000. I really don't want to own a bike that has a accident on it's record and a salvage title. Ill look into the aluminum subframe though. That seems interesting if I can rebuild the bike and sell it for a profit.

• Like 1

You just made a good case to take the $6672 and get the FZ-09.  Unless you want to have the project of repairing the wrecked one, that is.  In my younger days I probably would have bought the bike back and fixed it.  At age 63 now, I'm seeing that I should spend the good years I have left doing things that are currently important to me.   :)  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Triple Jim said:

You just made a good case to take the $6672 and get the FZ-09.  Unless you want to have the project of repairing the wrecked one, that is.  In my younger days I probably would have bought the bike back and fixed it.  At age 63 now, I'm seeing that I should spend the good years I have left doing things that are currently important to me.   :)  

yeah man. The 07 has some aftermarket parts I am going to take off before I let State Farm pick it up. M4 muffler, turn signals, and some toher stuff I can sell here and make some money off of too. I'll just put all the stock parts back on. 

• Like 1

Of course the 09 will make you stop at gas stations noticeably more often.  That's probably the biggest reason I went with an 07.

I am expecting that to be the case. I use mine for work commuting and the ocassional ride around town. I'm going to get the 09 this weekend.

• Like 4

Try to get the front wheel to make contact with the pavement once in a while.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Triple Jim said:

Try to get the front wheel to make contact with the pavement once in a while.

Haha. Yeah, I'm not a speedster so I'll keep it down. 

1 hour ago, Jerzee said:

Enjoy your 09.. :)

Thanks. The FZ07 started feeling a litle flat for me. This will be a nice upgrade.

Let me know what you want for the M4.  I just sent my ECU in for reflash, so I could adjust the tune before they perform the flash.

I had similar experience with my SV650.  Insurance only gave me 10% value on mods :(

On 3/25/2021 at 9:39 AM, Nealsmo said:

Let me know what you want for the M4.  I just sent my ECU in for reflash, so I could adjust the tune before they perform the flash.

I had similar experience with my SV650.  Insurance only gave me 10% value on mods :(

Sorry man. I am holding it for someone else until next Friday when coming to get it. 

I have a flashed ECU with 2WDW but guess its gonna have to go with the bike.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Balves said:

I’d buy a new bike.

Just picked it up yetsterday. 2017 FZ09 with 800 miles for $6800. Even has a Yoshimura full exhaust on it.

IMG_20210327_170105_DRO.jpg

• Like 3

Rode it home today after unloading it from my truck with the dock at work. Huge difference from the 07. Only thing I do not like is that the exhaust is quiet even though it's got a Yoshi full exhaust. It has a cat converter on it. Guess I'm gonna punch that out. 

IMG_20210329_174212_DRO.jpg

• Like 1

I bet that's a blast to ride.  If you ride it for a while, you may decide that quiet isn't so bad. 

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Nice looking ride!!! 😎 I'd bet Yoshimura makes a mid-pipe to delete the cat. You might be able to sell the cat, for the cost of the new mid-pipe? Just a thought-

Just out of curiosity, did you take the insurance money for the whole 07, or buy it back for a part-out/repair?

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

11 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Nice looking ride!!! 😎 I'd bet Yoshimura makes a mid-pipe to delete the cat. You might be able to sell the cat, for the cost of the new mid-pipe? Just a thought-

Just out of curiosity, did you take the insurance money for the whole 07, or buy it back for a part-out/repair?

Not sure about the mid pipe since this one is welded on. My 07 had a M4 with no baffle and I liked it because people heard me coming.

I just took the money. They paid me $6672 for the 07 and I bought the 09 for $6800. I took all my aftermarket parts off the 07 and will sell them to make a bit extra money to cover the title transfer and fees. Was a no brainer.

• Like 1