The MT-07 Forum

New rider in the Twin Cities

nacapster

Picking up my holdover 20 MT07 this w/e. Excited but nervous, the bike I sold to help pay for it was my 20 Z125. I gotta break it in of-course (load the engine / seat the rings) but after that for the most part I just plan to putz around on lower speed roads just like I did with my little 125. Well unless I'm tagging along with the neighbor following his full dress Harley, then hopefully hit the MN river valley for some real fun. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Welcome to the light & nimble MT-07.  👍

So why are you moving from the Z125? What drew you to the MT-07?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

8 hours ago, DewMan said:

Welcome to the light & nimble MT-07.  👍

So why are you moving from the Z125? What drew you to the MT-07?

A more comfortable seat and a little power. I mean the Z125 was a clutch and 2 wheels and really all I needed to putz around but the seat was uncomfortable after a while and there's like no power.

I demoed a MT-07 back in 2018 and it was a really fun middle weight bike. Sure it doesn't have the shock-n-awe power of a 1K CC crotch rocket or even a 600 CC sport bike that's all wound out but it still had plenty of power to have fun with. At one point I looked down and I was doing 80 and I wasn't even in 6th gear. 

It's been 20 years but the last real street bike I owned was an 01 FZ1 (naked R1) so it's not the power of the MT that has me nervous but just the fact that it's a real motorcycle. But I might be a little safer going a tad faster (60 Vs 40) and getting out in the more open areas. 

Edited by nacapster
  • Like 1

Got the bike home today, in the pouring rain. Darn thing is dirty before mile 1 LOL. Love that quick flash your brights button. That should come in handy in the intersections. 

Edited by nacapster

Here's a couple pics from the first ride. I put on a whopping 13.5 miles. It would've been more but it was pretty chilly out, like 38 degrees Fahrenheit. I can't believe this bike only has 75 HP, it sure feels like 100+. 

Scaled Bike 1.jpg

Scaled Bike 2.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So first big ride last Saturday. It was only supposed to be about 80 miles in the Minnesota river valley but it ended up being 214 miles in the Mississippi River valley. So yeah on a 200+ mile ride maybe the stock seat isn’t super comfortable but it’s still better than the seat on the Z125. And after a while at highway speeds the wind does start to beat you up. For touring type riding the bike needs a Corbin seat and a Madstad windshield but I didn’t buy the bike for that type of riding. I think it will be fine in stock form for local tight twisty type riding. At least I finally got to ride a bike on Hwy 60 to Wabasha, it was on the bucket list. Sections of that road are really fun and all you see is bikes and sports cars. Fastest I had it was mid 80s catching up to the Harleys I was following when a car got in the way merging onto the highway. The ride had a little bit of everything including gravel roads and some mild off road (campground).

ACD65E13-9B5C-4815-BE8B-F2D90BE02310.jpeg

Edited by nacapster
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made it down to the MN river valley. This pic was shot at U4IC Brewing Co. Also rode my first wheelie by accident just accelerating hard in first gear crossing a rode with a dip on the other side. Soon as the back tire hit that dip the front end came right up. Oh and first mod is on the way. I purchased a 2WDW flash today. I’m gonna do that and pull the snorkel, maybe add a R6 throttle tube as well and that should do it for a while. I’d like to do the whole works with a full exhaust and pick up a new seat & windshield etc but I don’t want to dump too much money into the bike as I may only be keeping it for this summer. I sure could use “some” wind protection though. What’s the best cheap windshield?

91A1E60D-2349-4BB2-8D7A-B800FC59D807.jpeg

May have answered my own question. Found this one for around $40 on Amazon. It’s from China and a couple different vendors seem to be selling the same shield, both located in Hong Kong. Anybody try one on here? I figured for $40 WTH.

566661CD-1183-4E65-9468-70D8A803466E.jpeg

C0310050-9FEB-4E6E-B61D-6B91F44E8B0B.jpeg

I put this windscreen on my 2020 MT-07 and it works great. Just tall enough to remove wind at chest level. An no helmet buffering. 

• Like 1