The MT-07 Forum

Fork bottom bolt prob. help

#26 George

Hi, wanted to install the cartridge kit I got today and in the proces of taken the stok fork appart I try to loosen the bottom bolt of the fork , it came loos but it is spining with the stock cartridge insaid . How can I take them appart ? any ide or shal I buy a ny right fork leg ?, any help will be aprecieted 

Edited by #26 George

Usually an air impact wrench will do it, using inertia.  Or are you saying you stripped the threads of something?

Yes the threads are stripped i think cos the bolt it is stuck on the original cartridge and it spin together insaid the fork 

It's not unusual for that to happen when loosening that bolt.  I'm wondering it it's really stripped, or just that they're turning together.

Have no ide, they`re turning together when i try to loosen the bolt, and its deep insaid I cant reach down there to hold the cartridge and unscrew the bolt, how can I take the bolt of ?

Edited by #26 George

I don't know if there is a special tool, all I can suggest is try an impact wrench with a rod down the fork tube, if that doesn't work maybe take it to a suspension shop and get their opinion

• Like 2

Another option, add addition pre load to the shock with ratchet strap and loosen nut with impact  before disassembly 

That bolt isn't stripped. There's a couple ways to do that. Either put the fork leg back together to hold the inners from turning then hit the bolt with an impact or, use the correct holding tool/whittled down broom handle etc to hold the damping rod while doing the impact thing.

It's not too tight as much as it galls into the damper. It'll pop loose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, #26 George said:

So its worked with a metal rod down the fork tube, thanks a lot 

Look down in the fork lowers and make sure the metal rod didn't scar the inside walls. That's why people usually use a wooden rod instead. 

In the future, remember to crack those bolts loose while the forks are still on the bike and the bike is sitting with it's weight on the suspension. It won't leak a bunch of oil out. Just crack them loose this way, but leave them in place.

Edited by shinyribs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I cant se any scar on the inside walls, now to mout the cartridge I have to remove the plastic seat so the question is do i need to separate the inner tube from the outer tube to remove the plastic seat or can it slide down, I dit try but it wont go out 

14 hours ago, #26 George said:

I cant se any scar on the inside walls, now to mout the cartridge I have to remove the plastic seat so the question is do i need to separate the inner tube from the outer tube to remove the plastic seat or can it slide down, I dit try but it wont go out 

Your kit should have instructions, but you'll have to pull the inner tubes (stanchtions) out of the outer tubes (aka lowers or sliders) to get that seat out.

The stock fork internals were pretty bad about chewing on the fork caps and those shavings would go everywhere. You'll probably want to completely disassemble the forks for a very thorough cleaning anyway. You wouldn't want to leave any dirty oil with those aluminum shavings in there to damage your expensive new cartridges!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You can take such an aluminum tube with a diameter of ~18mm, length ~50 cm. I found it inside my metal trash, but its also cheap to buy :)  Lock it with a plier and push it inside the damper, worked perfect for removing and tightening of the bottom bolt. Didn't slip a single bit.

PXL_20201114_172329883_noexif.thumb.jpg.c2ef39ec7d1327b8fe5f344e9909b14e.jpg

PXL_20201114_172239034_noexif.thumb.jpg.a017d1b5ad08449328df0b426535f632.jpgPXL_20201114_172525741_noexif.thumb.jpg.ce90294bb338a7a71f64225fcc61e1a1.jpg

Edited by ElGonzales
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
On 3/27/2021 at 2:59 PM, mossrider said:

whittled down broom handle etc to hold the damping rod while doing the impact thing.

My preferred tools of choice.

So the cartridge are in, it feels much better then stock and with new K tech razor shock its on rails 

Edited by #26 George