The MT-07 Forum

Brand new, ABS light coming on

nacapster

So second little rip today. Bike only had 13 miles on it and the ABS light was on. After I rode if for a bit it went out. Then when I got home I shut it off and restarted it and same thing, ABS light is on and stayed on while I was putting it in the garage. Is it normal for the ABS light to stay on for  a while? Bike now has a whopping 42 miles on it. I got a 80+ mile ride planned for tomorrow. 

The ABS light being on while putting the bike in the garage is normal - the light actually stays on if you're going under a certain speed (5 or 6 mph I think). The first part seems odd, though, was the ABS light on for the entire ride?

10 minutes ago, nacapster said:

So second little rip today. Bike only had 13 miles on it and the ABS light was on. After I rode if for a bit it went out. Then when I got home I shut it off and restarted it and same thing, ABS light is on and stayed on while I was putting it in the garage. Is it normal for the ABS light to stay on for  a while? Bike now has a whopping 42 miles on it. I got a 80+ mile ride planned for tomorrow. 

The light comes on when the ignition is turned on and the system goes thru a self diagnostic cycle. It turns off when the bike gets to 6 mph.

If it doesn't come on when the bike is started or doesn't go off when riden or flashes when riden there is a problem. 

• Like 1

I know the XSR has the ABS light on until the bike exceeds 6 mph, as said above.  So if it just is on in the first little bit, it's just letting you know the light works and the system is working I guess.   If it is lit beyond that initial 10 mph or so I'd be going to a dealer and seeing why.  Hope that helps.

Edited by klx678

1 minute ago, 7fold said:

The ABS light being on while putting the bike in the garage is normal - the light actually stays on if you're going under a certain speed (5 or 6 mph I think). The first part seems odd, though, was the ABS light on for the entire ride?

No just at the start of the ride. Guess I didn’t notice it last time. I just checked the manual and it sounds like it’s normal.

22 minutes ago, nacapster said:

I just checked the manual and it sounds like it’s normal.

Someone I once knew used to say "RTFM" when appropriate.    :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member

ABS light upon start is normal until you start moving as stated above.

The ABS light on is a bad thing at any other time.

My 2017-ABS model does not engage the ABS light, under normal circumstances, at any other time.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Global Moderator

My light stays on all the time but I think it's those two fuses I pulled and put in my tool chest