The MT-07 Forum

Adjusting idle speed and calibrating the fuel guage2019 mt07

Max of Millbrook

Max of Millbrook

How do you adjust the idle? Do you have to adjust the throttle position sensor? I see it but the engine casting is in the way of one screw or is this a software adjustment? Also the fuel guage is useless when it is flashing on reserve but it only takes 8 liters on a 14 liter tank. Crazy, brand new and dealer seems unwilling at every turn!

As far as I know, there is no way to calibrate the fuel gauge. It's a quirk of this bike's tank (all year models!) you soon get used to it when you realise how far you can go on reserve.

You might be correct about requiring a dealer to adjust idle speed via software (similar to many fuel injected bikes). There are copies of the Yamaha workshop manual available on the internet that will state the correct procedure.

Edited by stickshift

That's strange about the gauge.  Maybe they fixed it for 2020, because mine acts pretty much as expected.  I go about 160-170 miles, then it flashes the last segment of the bar graph and starts the reserve odometer.  I've gone 40 miles after that, but I think I was getting pretty low by then.

Max of Millbrook

Thank you for your help ... I'm getting sick of OEM's tying my hands, providing no help to the guys like I that can and prefer to do our own work! 

A spark plug change should not be brain surgery !

• Premium Member
cornerslider

The fuel gauge is irritating to say the least..... Mine is like most of the 07's- it reads full for most the ride, then drops like a rock.  When mine hits half a tank on the gauge, I get fuel. I've gotten used to it, but I don't think there's any way to calibrate it either?

As far as adjusting the idle speed, I think you just adjust the set-screw on the mechanism the the throttle cables attach to. It's on the bikes left side, mounted on the side of the throttle bodies. On the lower side of the "disc" that the throttle cables attach to, there's a set-screw. I'm 99% sure that's all you need to adjust to get the bike to idle properly. I honestly have never adjusted it on my 07, but that 's how it works on most bikes. I don't think you need to do anything with the TPS, or ECU-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

1 hour ago, cornerslider said:

As far as adjusting the idle speed, I think you just adjust the set-screw on the mechanism the the throttle cables attach to. It's on the bikes left side, mounted on the side of the throttle bodies.

I'm pretty sure the idle speed control valve on the throttle bodies will override any actual adjustments made to the throttle cable setting (for emissions regs purposes). You need the factory diagnostic tool to reset the idle speed control valve.

Screenshot_20210414-101942.png

• Like 1

You use the small phillips screw on the bellcrank on the left side of the bike. More than a tiny adjustment and the ECU will throw a code for out of spec idle speed. Go too far and the ECU will put the motor into safe mode and you'll be pissed. Do Not mess with the tps sensor on the right side, you'll be sorry. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
1 hour ago, mossrider said:

You use the small phillips screw on the bellcrank on the left side of the bike. More than a tiny adjustment and the ECU will throw a code for out of spec idle speed. Go too far and the ECU will put the motor into safe mode and you'll be pissed. Do Not mess with the tps sensor on the right side, you'll be sorry. 

Hahaha I know like you always say, you learned the hard way. Thx for keeping the rest of us out of the mud puddle

• 2 weeks later...
Max of Millbrook

Thanks for that but went to dealer and he is going to scan the ECU when I get 1600 kms on it to reset the idle . A slave to software... Aaaaaargh