The MT-07 Forum

Swapping Pillion Seat for Lockable Hard Case

ducarmont

Has anyone had success or tried this sort of modification?

I'll never have a passenger, so I'm not worried about that. Next best option overall is of course rear rack + 39L top case, but I feel like I'm kinda wasting that passenger seat space, throwing extra weight higher and further back than necessary, and in many of the pics it looks quite high and far back.

This item:

https://sw-motech.com/en/products/luggage/luggage+racks/SEAT-RACK/4052572017913.htm

exists, and mentions the ability to mount tankbags rings, though I'm thinking I could hack/drill/modify a way to mount some sort of actual top case. I'd also add some sort of padding bar on the front to bump up against as I ride.

Anyway, curious if anyone's given that a shot.

End goal is really somewhere to store/lock helmet when I go places, as well as sometimes carry assorted small items.

I saw somewhere, can't recall now where, a guy took the seat pan of the passenger seat, and mounted plate to that,  a givi mount directly to the 'plate', and had enough room for a soft pack as well as the givi hard case. He could remove the entire assembly using the normal key latch, and place an unmolested rear seat on the bike when he didn't need any storage.

He made his own,

but here is a commercial one

hepco-becker-sportrack-yamaha-mt07-fz07_

The Sport Rack is an innovative luggage solution for sport bikes. The Sport Rack is used in place of the passenger seat...

Edited by Jerzee
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, Jerzee said:

I saw somewhere...

That's awesome! And pretty much what I had in mind, except using an actual seat pan, which is even better.

Now to decide if I want to go custom seat pan version to leave myself a bit of room (prob not quite as much as that guy did) for a backpack, or just go with either SW or H&B rack plus a givi case/mount

I sit fairly far forward, so I'd image I could still fit a slimmer backpack between me and the top case

If nothing else, seeing his video + the size of all the mounts/bolts he had to use was helpful. I should be able to bolt a givi mount on either the SW or HB racks

Thanks!

You are welcome. Be sure to post whatever you decide to do for others to use. :) Best of luck whichever way you go...

• Like 2