The MT-07 Forum

Swing arm spools.......

Pittsburgh pilot

Pittsburgh pilot

So I recently purchased a 2018 MT-07 and found out that it does not have bosses on the swing arms to mount spools so I bought these(see pic). Any thoughts on this style over the thru axel style? 

0049932C-28E7-4142-BC52-DA8776E6CEC8.jpeg

The spools that go through the axel make them useless for removing the rear wheel or even loosening the axel nut to adjust the chain. Do these somehow lock into the swingarm though? If they don't, then you will have the same issues.

Personally I have had no issues with the rear lift using the pads, although I have seen the bike move a bit because the pads are not locked in position. Spools would be preferred of course.

Pittsburgh pilot

I believe the two 12mm nuts and washer need to be removed from the chain adjusters. Then these slide over the stud into position on the end of the swing arm with the washer and nuts back into position.

2 minutes ago, Pittsburgh pilot said:

I believe the two 12mm nuts and washer need to be removed from the chain adjusters. Then these slide over the stud into position on the end of the swing arm with the washer and nuts back into position.

Which means that when you loosen the axel nut and the jam/adjuster nuts, the whole assembly could slide out which means no rear axel/wheel removal while using that stand...which seems to defeat the purpose in my mind.

I have seen other options that require drilling into the swing arm to install some rivnuts that an adapter bolts into. There is also one that has brackets that bolt around the swing arm. Neither look all that pretty though.

I was thinking about drilling a hole straight through the swing arm, slide a spacer into the swing arm that a bolt would go through to attach a spool. I have not looked at how feasible this idea is though other than thinking about it yesterday when I installed my wheel with new sprocket.

• Premium Member

Those look like they replace the plate at the end of the swingarm... if that's the case they're not at all useful for taking the rear wheel loose/off. Once the axle nut is loose these spools will have very little support and you'll end up with bent adjuster bolts and you run the risk of them falling out of the end of your swingarm if the axle is removed. 

Bottom line: they look like they're for show only. They're not designed to support the weight of the bike with the axle looose and definitely not if the axle is removed

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

The very first accessory I bought for my FZ was a set of Gilles chain adjuster / spools from Bellissimoto. They cost $100 more than the knockoffs selling on eBay / Amazon but are well worth it because of how well they are built and how solidly they mount. With them, removing the rear wheel is a breeze. 

A lot of the knockoffs are held in place by the adjusting rod and nuts, so as others have pointed out, when you loosen the nuts, the plates get loose or fall off, making them useless, whereas the Gilles adjusters remain rock solid.

The Gilles version work flawlessly. I highly recommended them!

2A4A99A3-FEC4-4EE1-912D-D35FBFA2AE83.thumb.jpeg.66656c1d69cf267f75fb34e6ace321a1.jpeg

D64A530F-7EFC-4841-9167-5A1E6BE2F7D1.thumb.jpeg.a6a096b3d8ca53764ee8d8cdf748f12c.jpeg

Gilles AXB Chain Adjuster for the Yamaha FZ-07/MT-07 and XSR700

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 2

Pittsburgh pilot

I see your point with the axel removed they would be useless. I suppose my original intent to add these would be for general cleaning and fluid changes and other general maintenance.

25 minutes ago, D.A. said:

The very first accessory I bought for my FZ was a set of Gilles chain adjuster / spools from Bellissimoto. They cost $100 more than the knockoffs selling on eBay / Amazon but are well worth it because of how well they are built and how solidly they mount. With them, removing the rear wheel is a breeze. 

A lot of the knockoffs are held in place by the adjusting rod and nuts, so as others have pointed out, when you loosen the nuts, the plates get loose or fall off, making them useless, whereas the Gilles adjusters remain rock solid.

The Gilles version work flawlessly. I highly recommended them!

@D.A.  Yeah these are on my list of "really want". Correct me if I am wrong but the nut on the end for adjustment is attached to the bracket itself which suggests if you need to push the axel forward this can do that.

Maybe I am doing it wrong but on the stock setup you need to try to push the wheel forward and then make sure it does not slip back as you tighten the axel nut. There is no other way to lock in your adjustment to hold the wheel forward. This happened to me yesterday, the right side adjuster is not 100% flush with the swing arm which maybe 1mm gap once I was done torquing the axel nut...so I left it.

My wife was just saying she was looking for a birthday gift to me...might need to send her a link? 😀

• Premium Member

If all you're looking to do is raise the rear wheel off the ground, you can get a rear paddock stand that will lift the swingarm itself, no spools required. You can get one cheaper than the cost of the Gilles chain adjusters.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

4 hours ago, seven said:

...Correct me if I am wrong but the nut on the end for adjustment is attached to the bracket itself which suggests if you need to push the axel forward this can do that...

In theory that is the case but in practice, even with the Gilles chain adjuster spools installed, I sometimes still have to push the wheel forward. As you can see in the photo below, the "nut" integrated into the Gilles adjuster is like a hollow bolt, the hidden portion of which is secured with a circlip.

289396595_GT-1129_Gilles-Tooling-AXB-Chain-Adjusters-Yamaha-MT-07-FZ-07-XSR700-2014_Image-1_cropped.jpg.80b0255d4e708aec004b168175759633.jpg

That clip holds the hollow bolt/nut in place well enough to push the wheel forward a few millimeters but if you keep going, the clip may pop off, effectively leaving you with a nut that functions the same way as the OEM nut. It's not the end of the world if the clip pops off – you simply remove the whole rig and reattach the clip.

@mossrider had the idea of adding a spring to the OEM stud. (That's his photo below.) I followed his suggestion and find it helps prevent the circlip from popping off when using the adjuster to push the wheel forward although you're still limited in how far you can go.

96819196_SpringsMossrideraddedtohisGillesadjusters.thumb.jpg.ecb6969d2da7ee84b56dea8a43553884.jpg

But don't let that dissuade you from asking your significant other to surprise you with one! It's still a brilliant piece of gear and works perfectly when used as intended. Keep in the habit of pushing the tire/wheel forward rather than relying on the adjusting nut for that task and you won't have any issues.

Edited by D.A.

20 hours ago, D.A. said:

... I sometimes still have to push the wheel forward.

That clip holds the hollow bolt/nut in place well enough to push the wheel forward a few millimeters but if you keep going, the clip may pop off...

Keep in the habit of pushing the tire/wheel forward rather than relying on the adjusting nut for that task and you won't have any issues.

Usually the only time the wheel has to be pushed forward (hard) is when adjusting chain (to make sure the axle isn't cockeyed / not fully forward).

Using this affordable tool, or a rag, or a screwdriver between sprocket and chain as you push the wheel will move everything forward. motion-pro-sprocket-jammer

motion-pro-sprocket-jammer.jpg

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Pittsburgh pilot said:

So I recently purchased a 2018 MT-07 and found out that it does not have bosses on the swing arms to mount spools so I bought these(see pic). Any thoughts on this style over the thru axel style? 

0049932C-28E7-4142-BC52-DA8776E6CEC8.jpeg

Few years ago I bought some inexpensive Chinese bar risers. They were in fact CNC machined like the ad claimed, but they were made of a really poor quality casting. CNC'd castings?!...c'mon, China! Personally, I wouldn't trust them. I tightened the caps of the bars mounts in my hand and the part shattered immediately. I'm 100% fed up with the Chinese junk being peddled everywhere. 

Even though Yamaha doesn't give us pre-drilled and threaded locations for spools doesn't mean we can't install them at all. I made my spools, but universal spools can be bought simply. Just drilled two 6mm (1/4") holes and good to go. 

2c6zCK0.thumb.jpg.8d4239e97e3581568fe72c84a304d7ba.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I used these from Graves

March 18 2019 053.JPG

Ed

• Like 2

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

5 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Few years ago I bought some inexpensive Chinese bar risers. They were in fact CNC machined like the ad claimed, but they were made of a really poor quality casting. CNC'd castings?!...c'mon, China! Personally, I wouldn't trust them. I tightened the caps of the bars mounts in my hand and the part shattered immediately. I'm 100% fed up with the Chinese junk being peddled everywhere. 

Even though Yamaha doesn't give us pre-drilled and threaded locations for spools doesn't mean we can't install them at all. I made my spools, but universal spools can be bought simply. Just drilled two 6mm (1/4") holes and good to go. 

2c6zCK0.thumb.jpg.8d4239e97e3581568fe72c84a304d7ba.jpg

This looks like what I was thinking of doing. Did you run a bolt all the way through the swingarm or did you just get a nut on the inside of swingarm?

4 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

I used these from Graves

March 18 2019 053.JPG

Ed

These are the ones I was thinking of that require some drilling of the swingarm.

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, seven said:

This looks like what I was thinking of doing. Did you run a bolt all the way through the swingarm or did you just get a nut on the inside of swingarm?

These are the ones I was thinking of that require some drilling of the swingarm.

These are really sturdy. Graves provided nut certs for the swingarm. I used nyloc nuts instead. 

More pictures in this thread.

https://fz07.org/thread/11719/project-fz-07rt/?do=findComment&comment=159421

Ed

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

I'd spring for the Graves set or make a set of them using a block of aluminum.   But I bought the Gilles set from Bellissimoto in a group buy a year or so back for around $110.   Definitely worth the money to be safe.   I'd avoid the dirt cheap ones, hate to see my bike on its side on the ground.

I will say you can buy a Harbor Freight swingarm stand and they work fine.  You just have to be aware of where the pad is on the right side with the gull wing swingarm.  Under $40 total.  And it is a solid one piece stand.

Edited by klx678

77lYiXm.thumb.jpg.22300d4587630d4021b6180b1e24a3a4.jpg

9 hours ago, seven said:

There's a nut on the inside of the arm with a large washer. It's sturdy.

• Like 2