The MT-07 Forum

I Fell With My Bike

XATTILAX

So recently got the bike it’s my first bike and I was playing around trying to switch to first gear ! I stalled it man times! But than when I finally got it flew from under me and slid on its side! Most of its okay cause I had frame sliders! The only real damage i can see is the rear brake pedal stud is bent! Should I bend it back or just buy a new one and replace it myself ? Also it seems that once I picked the bike up there where a few drops on the floor it looks like it’s coming from above  the oil filter or from the oil filter but it’s not gas it might be oil I’m not sure ! It’s nothing major just wondering if I should be concerned it was just a few drops ???

That sucks. When I dropped my bike I had a bunch of coolant leak out...perhaps yours is coolant?

• Global Moderator

You can inspect it close and follow the wet "oil trail" with a good flashlight, or wash it, let it dry - then either way start parking it (dry) on clean newspaper every day for a while, and read the news in the morning (if there is any). Check the price on the bent part, easier to replace, than to straighten if you don't have shop tools handy.

If you like doing it yourself and it's a minor thing for you to rig up a "straightening jig" with some wood blocks & heavy vice, go for it. Finish file, don't leave any rough edges or out of round (within reason) on your latest mod. You are OK, and you learned a great lesson about torque, and Newton's laws. Many don't know, his laws are only an "approximation", they are actually all off a little bit. Old fart wisdom, you find out exactly how far off when you show off. The absolute best time to show off with a wheelie, is never. Wheelie when it's free and fun, leave the crowd out for the most part...

You came by this as an honest learning experience, keep learning, focus on becoming the safest rider you know. I dropped my bike, engine off, while moving it about the garage this year. It happens

I have done the exact same thing. Being in mid air with your anatomy set as if it still stuck to a bike, and the bike making its merry way forward riderless is quite an experience.  I replaced the bent rear brake lever. The bars were skewed too.  My dealer stood astride the front wheel and pulled them straight. All good to go.  (An original MT-03). The oil has got all out of place after a drop. The seepage might stop after it has sat for a while (which it needs to do anyway).

Just do it! 

2 hours ago, Pursuvant said:

You can inspect it close and follow the wet "oil trail" with a good flashlight, or wash it, let it dry - then either way start parking it (dry) on clean newspaper every day for a while, and read the news in the morning (if there is any). Check the price on the bent part, easier to replace, than to straighten if you don't have shop tools handy.

If you like doing it yourself and it's a minor thing for you to rig up a "straightening jig" with some wood blocks & heavy vice, go for it. Finish file, don't leave any rough edges or out of round (within reason) on your latest mod. You are OK, and you learned a great lesson about torque, and Newton's laws. Many don't know, his laws are only an "approximation", they are actually all off a little bit. Old fart wisdom, you find out exactly how far off when you show off. The absolute best time to show off with a wheelie, is never. Wheelie when it's free and fun, leave the crowd out for the most part...

You came by this as an honest learning experience, keep learning, focus on becoming the safest rider you know. I dropped my bike, engine off, while moving it about the garage this year. It happens

Thank you for the advice and I was not trying to wheelie I was trying to get into first gear lol 😂! And yeah I definetaly learned my lesson that I can’t learn how to ride a motorcycle by watching YouTube videos and that I should go to a motorcycle school before sitting on the bike again ! I’m 17 by the way! 

11 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

I have done the exact same thing. Being in mid air with your anatomy set as if it still stuck to a bike, and the bike making its merry way forward riderless is quite an experience.  I replaced the bent rear brake lever. The bars were skewed too.  My dealer stood astride the front wheel and pulled them straight. All good to go.  (An original MT-03). The oil has got all out of place after a drop. The seepage might stop after it has sat for a while (which it needs to do anyway).

Where did you get the bent rear brake lever from the only place I can seem to find one is eBay ???? And what do you mean by the bars were skewed too 

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, XATTILAX said:

should go to a motorcycle school before sitting on the bike again ! I’m 17 by the way! 

We all here will help you, but like you say you need some up close & personal assist for those first critical steps. Anybody in family & friends who ride? R u anywhere near Houston?

Edited by Pursuvant

16 minutes ago, Pursuvant said:

We all here will help you, but like you say you need some up close & personal assist for those first critical steps. Anybody in family & friends who ride? R u anywhere near Houston?

I’m in Long Island New York My dad rides but he is currently in Europe because of a family situation I got impatient and didn’t wait for him and wanted to experiment on the bike ended up sliding it ! He rides a Harley v rod it’s a little different than a sports bike tho ! So I need to fix everything before he gets home like it never happened ! So I need new sliders just ordered them ! Either bend back my rear break pedal or get a new one which I have no clue where to buy ! Need new mirrors! A few more thing on top of that And some paint for this which I have no idea what paint to use any idea ?

F7AB18F9-4F66-4069-9000-D56F7FAE1114.jpeg

1 hour ago, XATTILAX said:

...Either bend back my rear break pedal or get a new one which I have no clue where to buy ! ...

If you post a photo of the brake pedal, it’ll be easier for us to determine whether it can be bent back into shape or needs to be replaced. 

If it does need to be replaced, Partzilla is a good online resource for new OEM replacement parts. Unlike most parts dealers, Partzilla keeps a lot of items in stock, including things like brake pedals. But even if it is in stock, best case scenario is you’d receive it at the end of next week. If it’s not in stock, it could take several weeks.

Also, be forewarned: if you are good at disassembling / fixing mechanical things and have the right tools for the job, swapping out brake pedals is a pretty straightforward operation, but it does require removal of the footrest bracket, the rear master cylinder, the brake light switch and their associated springs, so if you’re not good at this kind of work, you can end up creating more problems than you currently have.

Anyhow, to find the pedal (and other parts):

• Go to the link below

• click on the year of your bike

• select your specific model

• then choose STAND FOOTREST 2 from the list

That will bring up a diagram of the brake pedal and associated parts for your specific bike. The brake pedal itself is part #17. 

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/yamaha/motorcycle

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, D.A. said:

If you post a photo of the brake pedal, it’ll be easier for us to determine whether it can be bent back into shape or needs to be replaced. 

If it does need to be replaced, Partzilla is a good online resource for new OEM replacement parts. Unlike most parts dealers, Partzilla keeps a lot of items in stock, including things like brake pedals. But even if it is in stock, best case scenario is you’d receive it at the end of next week. If it’s not in stock, it could take several weeks.

Also, be forewarned: if you are good at disassembling / fixing mechanical things and have the right tools for the job, swapping out brake pedals is a pretty straightforward operation, but it does require removal of the footrest bracket, the rear master cylinder, the brake light switch and their associated springs, so if you’re not good at this kind of work, you can end up creating more problems than you currently have.

• Go to the link below

That will bring up a diagram of the brake pedal and associated parts for your specific bike. The brake pedal itself is part #17. 

I’m pretty hand with my hands I learned from my dad so I think I can do it ! And thank you for finding the place I can get parts from that’s amazing ! This is the break what do you think can it be bent back or should I just replace it ?

17C8F6FF-7BBD-42A3-8124-3732112678DF.jpeg

Get sliders all around, rear sets are easy to replace (can get them from ebay or revzilla). Throttle control is one of the most important things...do you also know how to "steer/turn" a motorcycle (called counter-steering)?

Start watching videos, practice low speed maneuvers in a parking lot. I had a Honda that the clutch grabbed at the end of the release...my GSXR grabs throughout the release and you have to "slip the clutch" as you throttle up.

FZ07 is in the shop getting ready - haven't ridden it yet.

Edit: read your other post - this reminds me of ferris bueller's day off...it's going to take time to order all the oem parts... how much time do you have?

Edited by TMTYWSH

6 hours ago, XATTILAX said:

Thank you for the advice and I was not trying to wheelie I was trying to get into first gear lol 😂! And yeah I definetaly learned my lesson that I can’t learn how to ride a motorcycle by watching YouTube videos and that I should go to a motorcycle school before sitting on the bike again ! I’m 17 by the way! 

Well you start on a small bike, 125cc or so...the videos will help you advance once you get some experience.

Can you drive a manual (stick shift) car?

3 hours ago, XATTILAX said:

...can it be bent back or should I just replace it ?

You don’t have much to lose by trying to straighten it. If it breaks when you’re bending it, then you can replace it. 

To avoid further damaging the rubber toe piece, pull it off before you try to bend the metal rod that’s beneath it. The rubber will be more pliable and easier to remove if you heat it up with a hairdryer first. 

Edited by D.A.

11 hours ago, XATTILAX said:

Where did you get the bent rear brake lever from the only place I can seem to find one is eBay ???? And what do you mean by the bars were skewed too 

This was a few years ago and parts were readily available (UK). Bars are not rigidly fixed to the headstock and there is room for movement for extreme situations.  So having been moved by the crash they could be restored to the correct position.  They were not bent and the movement probably prevented that.

Just do it! 

I hate to hear about the damage from dropping your bikes. I’m sure I’ll drop my bike sooner or later. Any suggestions on the best protection against dropping a 2021 MT-07?  

13 hours ago, TMTYWSH said:

Get sliders all around, rear sets are easy to replace (can get them from ebay or revzilla). Throttle control is one of the most important things...do you also know how to "steer/turn" a motorcycle (called counter-steering)?

Start watching videos, practice low speed maneuvers in a parking lot. I had a Honda that the clutch grabbed at the end of the release...my GSXR grabs throughout the release and you have to "slip the clutch" as you throttle up.

FZ07 is in the shop getting ready - haven't ridden it yet.

Edit: read your other post - this reminds me of ferris bueller's day off...it's going to take time to order all the oem parts... how much time do you have?

I have approximately a month to a month and a half to 2 months ! 

2 hours ago, GoldenMT07 said:

I hate to hear about the damage from dropping your bikes. I’m sure I’ll drop my bike sooner or later. Any suggestions on the best protection against dropping a 2021 MT-07?  

The number one thing is these sliders I had them on my bike and the only thing that got damage was the brakes handle mirror brake lever and a few scratches here and there but if I don’t have it the whole side would be scraped up ! Here’s a link to buy some 

s792258998569979605_p31_i12_w640.jpeg

2014-2019 Yamaha FZ-07 MT-07 frame sliders, fork sliders, and rear axle sliders from OES...

Evotech do a range of protection items. I have some of theirs. They have stockists in US.

Just do it! 

17 hours ago, GoldenMT07 said:

... Any suggestions on the best protection against dropping a 2021 MT-07?

For the best protection, use what stunt riders use: crash cages on the front and rear. Frame sliders are better than nothing but they offer significantly less protection than crash cages.

I’m not a stunt rider but I nonetheless have Impaktech stunt cages on my bike. In a typical drop or low-side crash, the only damage sustained is to the replaceable Delrin slider inserts that attach to the cages. And at $5/slider, those are super-cheap and easy to replace. (I also have OES front and rear axle sliders.)

If @XATTILAX had had a cage on his bike when it fell, it would have sustained zero damage beyond a $5 slider insert, saving him hundreds of dollars on replacement parts and many hours of repair work.

326E6464-AB02-4A98-B430-565E13A44066.jpeg.e7e57981db26b74017ab7db2decba7fc.jpeg

E32577EA-FCC7-494E-A834-E5FA6534089D.thumb.jpeg.bc1822074c1fcdb4166462263c39ea59.jpeg

C0FE13EF-B2DF-40B8-ABE4-3C44052E9CEE.thumb.jpeg.b2e24fd05a8d0186f2a10a0b6ce8e43e.jpeg

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, XATTILAX said:

I have approximately a month to a month and a half to 2 months ! 

Have a backup plan for the parts, I ordered something from partszilla and it was originally a 7 day delivery, after 2 days they changed the delivery time to 6 weeks.

• Premium Member

The best protection against crashes is proper training and practice.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:40 PM, D.A. said:

• Go to the link below

Hey so when I go to the website it shows 7 different models of the bike in 2016 I’m not sure which one to chose how do I know which one to choose ? 

0E57B8E6-3E22-4F2F-8941-A0E27D657F0E.png

On 4/25/2021 at 9:42 AM, XATTILAX said:

...when I go to the website it shows 7 different models... ...how do I know which one to choose ? 

Here’s how to decipher those sub-model codes:

• The “FZ07” portion of the code obviously means it’s an FZ-07

• The “G” after “FZ07” indicates it’s a 2016 model

• If the next letter is a “C” it means it’s a California model and has additional emissions parts on it 

• the final letters “B”, “S”, and “Y” or “GY” refer to the color of the bike:

• “B” means the metallic black model (also called Raven Black) (which came with black wheels)

• “S” means matte silver (which came with blue wheels)

• and “Y” and “GY” both mean bluish-grey solid (also known as Armor Gray) (which came with yellow wheels)

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 2

• Global Moderator

Just to further clarify, any parts that are not painted or emissions related will be the same no matter which sub model you choose.  You will notice the part numbers are the same for most of the parts. 

• Like 1