The MT-07 Forum

Engine died while on freeway

cruzian3

So my engine just died while I was maintaining 70 on the freeway. I felt it jerk and pulled off right away.  I coasted right into a gas station.  Engine cranks but won't start.

Any guesses?  Where should I start?

Edited by cruzian3
spelling error

I would usually check fuel and spark.

for the fuel could be the pump ( try to hear it prime turning the key)

spark seams strange, a cylinder should detonate 

maybe strange but the position sensor on the rotor could be broken ( but I doubt it )

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Check the fuses first.  It is a long shot given the way it failed, but I would hate to see you buy a new pump and find out a fuse blew. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruzian3 said:

Engine cranks but won't start.... Where should I start?

Get a can of starter fluid. spray it toward the air filter intake while you crank the engine. 

If it starts up (even briefly) then your problem is fuel related.

Put a charger on the battery, likely rather drained from attempts to start.

• Like 3

Thank you.   The fuse was intact.  My battery is at 12.89v.  Tank is half full.

I pulled the fuel pump out.  Is there a way I can check if it's bad off the bike?

I'll order a new one tonight.   Thanks guys.

20210424_094626.jpg

22 minutes ago, cruzian3 said:

I pulled the fuel pump out.  Is there a way I can check if it's bad off the bike?

I don't know how to test it - but even with the pump out you could spray starter fluid and see if it fires up (briefly).  That is a very affordable way to establish if the problem is in fact fuel related on a "no start" engine. Once you have a can of starter fluid laying around, it is a great way to check for vacuum leaks, starting old chain saws, etc.

• Like 2

The manual is a bit vague about testing the fuel pump. All I could find was how to check the fuel level sender unit, with an ohm meter, and to clear any blockages from the pump. You could always try to (carefully) power it up with 12 VDC. Guessing Red / Blue (R/L) would be positive, Black (B) would be negative.  There is also a Fuel pump relay in the circuit that you might also check if it turns out that the fuel pump is okay.  The other two wires, Green / White and Black go to the sender unit, and be sure to NOT hook up voltage across those as you may fry it. Best of luck.

20210424_140825.thumb.jpg.0f8db63d56628453d77e4a87805a81c0.jpg

• Like 2