The MT-07 Forum

2018 MT-07 battery problem and question

pckopp

My new to me 2018 MT-07 left me stranded with a dead battery.

I went over a big dip in the road at about 30 miles an hour and the bike immediately died. Like you had turned off the key. When I got it home and removed the seat and the bracket above the battery, I noticed several things:

1. The battery hold down strap was not installed, just sitting on top of the battery.

2. When I removed the bracket above the battery, I immediately saw a burn mark in the red rubber boot over the positive terminal. There was also a mark on the bottom of the bracket in the same place. I guess the bump had caused the battery to come up hard enough to cause a short. The battery was totally dead with 8.something volts. I don't believe the battery in the bike was the original. It looked like an inexpensive replacement.

I looked up the replacement battery listed in the owner's manual. In the manual, the picture of the battery and cables show the terminals on the right side of the bike but all the replacement batteries show the terminals on the left side. I don't really see how my battery cables attach cleanly with the terminals on the left. My positive terminal had a very definite non-factory bend right at the terminal and that's where it shorted.

Is there a specific battery for the MT-07 that has the terminals on the right side of the bike?

If not, can someone post a photo of what the cable arrangement is supposed to be?

It is a really tight fit in there.

Thank you!

• Like 1

I bought a new battery at Batteries plus bulbs

CYLAZ10SXTA Xtreme Z10S 12V 185CCA AGM Powersport Battery

I was confused by the orientation. The battery can be turned so the orientation is correct.  

Xtreme Z10S 12V 185CCA AGM Powersport Battery - CYLAZ10SXTA at Batteries Plus Bulbs

• Like 1

And there are less expensive alternatives, like what's on Amazon for 40 bucks.  I've had good luck with cheapies, but we all have our preferences.   :)

4 hours ago, scat2me said:

I was confused by the orientation. The battery can be turned so the orientation is correct.

Bingo. When I got the bike the battery was installed incorrectly. Your comment about the orientation made the light go on. Thank you.

New battery, installed correctly, all is well. Damn, this bike is fun!

• Haha 1