The MT-07 Forum

Main fuse on FZ-07 Keeps blowing

Mitchell

Hi, 

I left my bike in storage over the winter months up here in north America. Coming back to storage I found it was completely dead, battery was shot. I went to replace the battery and when I connected the battery terminals a loud ringing was happening near the front radiator on the bike. I did more investigation to find that the MAIN 30A Fuze was blown. Even with the Fuze blown, ignition off, and terminals connected... The humming still rang. I'll post a video on YouTube to try to get yall a better understanding oblf the noise. I replaced the Fuse a couple of times but kept blowing the second I made contact with the battery and positive terminal. 

Any idea on what happened? 

Bike was completely fine before when I put into storage. 

Edit: here is a video of my problem. 

https://youtu.be/PoIoPgAsRho

Screenshot_20210502-170730_Drive.jpg

Edited by Mitchell
To put in a video link
  • Like 1

ElGonzales

11 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Even with the Fuze blown, ignition off, and terminals connected... The humming still rang.

Let me guess....it is an ABS bike?

ElGonzales

Ok, some ABS components are the only things on this bike which  are not connected via the 30A main fuse to the battery and their voltage is not switched by the main(ignition) switch.

The 2  fuses of ABS motor and ABS solenoid are connected directly to the battery. I think thats why you hear something is working, even with main fuse blown and ignition switched of.

Sad news: I assume something of your ABS stuff is broken. It is installed on the right side of your fuel tank.

You can try to remove the ABS fuses one after the other to locate the problem. But i fear you need a new control unit or a new hydraulic module.

I don't know why this happened while the bike was in storage, perhaps humidity somewhere. You can try to disconnect/connect the terminals of the  ABS modules and search for water drops, but this is some kind of my wishful thinking.

Edited by ElGonzales
fighting with my english vocabulary part 2

ElGonzales

... but this doesn't explain why the main fuse was blown. There has to be something else.
Without ignition switched on, the wiring diagram shows that the fuses of Fuel Injection System, the Backup Fuse ( supplies immobilizer unit) and Radiator Fan are in line with the main fuse.

I think it's a good idea to check these too.
It's midnight here right now, I'll  think about it. Maybe someone has further experiences why the ABS motor suddenly goes wild (I think this is the sound in the video, a nonstop running ABS motor)

23 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

Ok, the ABS components are the only things on this bike which  are not connected via the 30A main fuse to the battery and their voltage is not switched by the main(ignition) switch.

The 3 smaller fuses of ABS motor / fuse / control unit are connected directly to the battery. I think thats why you hear something is working, even with main fuse blown and ignition switched of.

Sad news: I assume something of your ABS stuff is broken. It is installed on the right side of your fuel tank.

You can try to remove the ABS fuses one after the other to locate the problem. But i fear you need a new control unit or a new hydraulic module.

I don't know why this happened while the bike was in storage, perhaps humidity somewhere. You can try to disconnect/connect the terminals of the  ABS modules and search for water drops, but this is some kind of my wishful thinking.

I did end up jump starting the bike which probably lead to that problem or frying some components on the abs system. I was getting pretty desperate on starting it. Rookie mistake? 

ElGonzales

Errrrr,  did you connect the battery at the correct polarity ?

Looks a little bit like you put the red positive cable to the negative battery terminal? Sorry, I saw this to late and with low Youtube video resolution...had to set it to 1080p :D

grafik.thumb.png.4af6e412b0d005b60d15e4b42bd90790.png

If this is the case, connect the battery in the correct way! You have to lay it on it's side, not terminals upwards.

BUT FIRST replace the blown fuses (theres a great chance it's only the 30A main fuse) and then start your bike and hit the road. 

Edited by ElGonzales

33 minutes ago, ElGonzales said:

Errrrr,  did you connect the battery at the correct polarity ?

Looks a little bit like you put the red positive cable to the negative battery terminal? Sorry, I saw this to late and with low Youtube video resolution...had to set it to 1080p :D

grafik.thumb.png.4af6e412b0d005b60d15e4b42bd90790.png

If this is the case, connect the battery in the correct way! You have to lay it on it's side, not terminals upwards.

BUT FIRST replace the blown fuses (theres a great chance it's only the 30A main fuse) and then start your bike and hit the road. 

Lmao I'm the biggest idiot now on this forum.. Not going to dirty delete the post but wow. Just wow. Bought the battery but didn't pay close attention to see that the terminal blocks are in fact not the same way as the OEM battery. Rookie mistake again. Long week I've had. Sir, thank you so much for putting your time into the post. Fired right up 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ElGonzales

It's even worse. I have a small fault database where I record such kind of trouble cases.
There is an entry that describes exactly the behavior you reported, I wrote it down some weeks ago but couldn't remember.

There were already two cases of wrong polarity in the German MT-07 Forum, you are not alone  :D

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
1 hour ago, Mitchell said:

Lmao I'm the biggest idiot now on this forum.. 

I'm sorry but you have to get in line if you want to be biggest idiot, we kind of all just take turns now...

just like everything in life, and how boring it would be to not laugh at ourselves

• Like 1

shinyribs
14 hours ago, Mitchell said:

Lmao I'm the biggest idiot now on this forum.. Not going to dirty delete the post but wow. Just wow. Bought the battery but didn't pay close attention to see that the terminal blocks are in fact not the same way as the OEM battery. Rookie mistake again. Long week I've had. Sir, thank you so much for putting your time into the post. Fired right up 

I did the same thing once. Terminal locations were flipped on the new battery and I smoked the ECU on a brand new Polaris. Dude at Polaris shop said they saw it at least once a month.

We are not alone 😂

• 5 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 4:10 PM, Mitchell said:

Hi, 

I left my bike in storage over the winter months up here in north America. Coming back to storage I found it was completely dead, battery was shot. I went to replace the battery and when I connected the battery terminals a loud ringing was happening near the front radiator on the bike. I did more investigation to find that the MAIN 30A Fuze was blown. Even with the Fuze blown, ignition off, and terminals connected... The humming still rang. I'll post a video on YouTube to try to get yall a better understanding oblf the noise. I replaced the Fuse a couple of times but kept blowing the second I made contact with the battery and positive terminal. 

Any idea on what happened? 

Bike was completely fine before when I put into storage. 

Edit: here is a video of my problem. 

https://youtu.be/PoIoPgAsRho

Screenshot_20210502-170730_Drive.jpg

Odd ..... You really could use someone who has "been there" before. Electronics are a mystery to me. Good luck-hope you get it fixed; I for one would like to know what was wrong and how did you fix it.... !

Edited by user1