The MT-07 Forum

Need new mirrors...which one do you vote?

eMpTy-Oh7

eMpTy-Oh7

I've been having issue tightening these mirrors for a while now.  That 10mm hex bolt on top has been a pain.  In any case, I ended up breaking the bolt so aftermarket we go.  Not really a fan of bar end mirrors.  Got these round retro mirrors.  Also got an aftermarket one that looks just like the OEM (the rod is a little shorter) but the shape looks pretty much identical.  This one seems like you can tighten the top hex nut without sanding it down like how everyone does it.  Round or oem shape?

1966069399_2021-05-0312_59_52-Window.thumb.jpg.a77593108aac61a53f6ac1824390bfaa.jpg

18446916_2021-05-0313_01_03-Window.thumb.jpg.277a5e8a459509b96cc5683a6fd5c8df.jpg

Since bar ends are out of the question, I vote for OEM shape. I think they fit the lines of the bike better considering there aren't too many round things on the MT's. I think the round shape would fit much better if you had an XSR.

• Like 1

eMpTy-Oh7

My garage is also very tight with a car and bike so bar end mirrors stick out too much and it gets in the way. 

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, eMpTy-Oh7 said:

My garage is also very tight with a car and bike so bar end mirrors stick out too much and it gets in the way. 

My bar end mirrors fold up so they don't stick out any further than the handlebars.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

eMpTy-Oh7
15 minutes ago, DewMan said:

My bar end mirrors fold up so they don't stick out any further than the handlebars.

Any pictures? don't you need to add something to the bar end first which already sticks out more??

I've never used bar end mirrors and the position seems awkward to me having to look so far down and away to see the mirrors.

• Premium Member

The OEM bar ends are replaced with ones that the mirrors are mounted to so they stick out no more than OEM. Other options are mounts that replace the OEM bar ends and stick out even less than OEM. This is my mirrors when in the garage. I rotate them down after I pull out of the garage. For me, the bar end mirrors are night and day better than OEMs for seeing around me.

mirror_folded.jpg.40bc5499d119fa2d3ec3d7cd09958632.jpg

Deployed by rotating mirror stalk down two detents. No further mirror adjustments needed:

Mirrors_deployed.thumb.jpg.fbf762d5e5f886d5f12bd12b1574ff3d.jpg

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Well if bar ends are back in, then I vote for CRG arrows hahaha. They really are awesome - I was worried at first since they're smaller than stock, but they're convex so the visibility out of them is so much better. If you get them positioned correctly, you can essentially see everything behind you. Pricey, but I think they're worth it.

I always thought the oem cut off a useful part of the rear view (bottom outside diagonal). If I was changing it would be to a more trapezium shape

Just do it! 

eMpTy-Oh7
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

The OEM bar ends are replaced with ones that the mirrors are mounted to so they stick out no more than OEM. Other options are mounts that replace the OEM bar ends and stick out even less than OEM. This is my mirrors when in the garage. I rotate them down after I pull out of the garage. For me, the bar end mirrors are night and day better than OEMs for seeing around me.

Deployed by rotating mirror stalk down two detents. No further mirror adjustments needed:

Mirrors_deployed.thumb.jpg.fbf762d5e5f886d5f12bd12b1574ff3d.jpg

Interesting that it can fold up like that.  Wait, the end part of the handle bar (isn't that an extension) as in the handle bar is already longer than OEM even with mirror at vertical?

Edited by eMpTy-Oh7

eMpTy-Oh7

This is how much room I have to wiggle with.  The handle bar is probably less than 2 inches from the door and not much room from touching the trunk.  This is one of the reason to scratch off handlebar mirrors.

1438292970_2021-05-0318_37_06-Window.thumb.jpg.a56774e87469eead81b5116dcb5f9036.jpg

eMpTy-Oh7
6 minutes ago, Jerzee said:

You need a shorter car! :)

Yeah that’s the other option LOL. 

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant
6 hours ago, DewMan said:

Why not just for grins, give the arrows a try standing up like that, and report back what it's like. Some commenters strongly like that config, the might be something to it?

12 hours ago, seven said:

Have any of you seen these mirrors before?

Watch this production video and tell me that these mirrors are inexpensive for what they are:

I did see those, but was able to get the CRG arrows for a little cheaper. The one thing that turns me off with those is the design of the arm compared to the arrows. The arrows have detents on the arm down by where it attaches to the bar end that you can swing up or out to adjust the positioning in addition to the swivel of the actual mirror. Those look like you need an allen to make any adjustments to the base of the arm so you wouldn't be able to adjust them on the fly in cases where you might be lane filtering. I could be wrong though, I'm just going by what they look like as I've never actually seen them in person.

• Global Moderator
Pursuvant

What they make sound great, a glassless mirror is last thing I want.

What happens when that machined finish gets worn/marked up bumps n bruises?

CRG sells replacement glass cheap, and they are designed to install easily with vibration isolation. Mirrors get mucked up, CRG makes them new again

• Like 1