The MT-07 Forum

Jerky Throttle issue - Solve without ECU Flash

joeystar88

joeystar88

Hi All,

Long time browser, first time poster.

I currently have a 2016 MT-07 LAMS Model (Australian) with roughly 20,000 Km's on it.

The bike is great however it suffers from the open/closed loop jerky throttle response at lower speeds/Revs. Most of my riding is commuting to and from work so is actually quite annoying. I've put up with it for 2 years so far.

Question is, will deleting the O2 Sensor (See kit below), increasing airflow and throttle body opening do anything to help this issue without doing an ECU Flash?

Or Alternatively, will installing the O2 Sensor delete kit shown below be enough to smooth this issue out?

s-l400.jpg

Yamaha MT-07 2013-2020: XSR 700 2016-2020 This kit contains 1 Oxygen O2 Lambda Sensor Eliminator Fitted with a Protective end...

Cheers

I think it's jerky in stock form and made quite noticeable by above average driveline lash and soft suspension.

@joeystar88 I'm pretty sure someone in that last few months started a post about good luck with this solve.  Take a look in forum search.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

Deleting the O2 sensor will not help the jerky throttle, and your bike will most likely run poorly. The MT-07 does not have a "PAIR valve" system for exhaust emissions. The ECU controls the exhaust emissions  via that O2 sensor. Removing that O2 sensor will put your bikes' ECU  into "safe mode". The ECU dumps extra fuel into the EFI system, because the ECU "thinks" that there is some kind of problem with the motor- kind of a "fail-safe" mode. I can't honestly speak for the Australian version, as I have no experience with that particular version? I would advise checking into an ECU flash, if you want to get rid of the jerky throttle. The MT-07 (in America) is only "jerky" to meet the exhaust emissions at idle. Once I removed my PCV, and got my ECU flashed, EVERYTHING got buttery-smooth 😎..... Hope that helps you out-

EDIT: After re-reading your original post, that kit "may" help??? I owned a bike 10 years ago that used a "lambda plug" to achieve better fueling. The dealer installed it at the time of purchase. I'm not really sure how it works on the MT-07 though?

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator

You can always unplug the O2 sensor without removing it and see how it runs.  You can always plug it back in if it makes no difference or you do not like the change.  

• Like 1

Dennis.Halmstad

It seems that all the bikes in the CP2 family runs different dependning on where you live.

My bike, here in Sweden did run very good in its oem shape.

No surging or pops and bangs in the exhaust that would indicate a lean condition.

Switched to akra ti and still no exhaust pops or indication on lean afr.

Installed a boosterplug wich suppose to trick ecu to give 6% more fuel and no noticble difference, maybe because it never did run lean?

But yerkiness is something thats always there and I have to really focus while driving to not be pissed of by it.