The MT-07 Forum

Custom exhaust- Yay or nay?

BahleG

Looking at aftermarket exhausts and most of exhaust are on the pricey side. I found a brand called Black Widow Exhausts which are a cheaper alternative but look very good too and from reviews they are reputable, I guess.

Where I live I'll have to get it shipped to my location which means I'll have to fork out about $500 and maybe a decent amount of waiting time. I recently found a local company that makes custom motorcycle exhausts and they've been at it since 2018 from what I can see. Many positive reviews from happy customers. Cost for the MT-07 was quoted for $315-$389.

Question of the day: Would it be worth it to go for the custom exhaust?

43 minutes ago, FrodoFZ said:

what's the name of the company?

Barker Motorcycle Systems. South Africa 

• Like 1

mossrider

You're on your own with this one but I do know most of the current flock of manufactures started as custom shops. Do your research and if it smells good try it, it's just money, you can always earn more. I had a tonne of custom parts on my race bike, binned the junk and kept the gooduns. Lol. 

• Thanks 1

Civiltechyyc

Looks like they have an FZ on their Instagram. For that cost I’d say do it and get a tune to try and match something close. Likely the yoshimura 

What do you hope to achieve by installing a new exhaust system?

Identifying your goal will guide you to the right decision.

Do you think the stock setup is ugly and want something prettier? If so, the simplest solution is to replace the OEM heat shield. There are decent-looking carbon fiber heat shields on eBay for $89 + $7 shipping from Hong Kong.

Want something that looks like a traditional race muffler? Buy a cheap no-name slip-on from Amazon.

Is the goal to make the bike louder? Drill holes in the stock exhaust. Doesn’t cost a dime. 

Have a specific sound you like and want to emulate? Figure out what exhaust system makes that sound and buy it.

Hoping to impress other riders? Are friends teasing you because you still have the stock set-up? Is bolting-on a different pipe primarily about making a fashion statement? If so, shell out the big bucks for a full system from one of the popular name brands like Akra, Yosh, Graves, etc. and avoid oddball manufacturers. You won’t impress people sporting a can nobody ever heard of.

Want something that will hold its value so you can take it off and resell it when you get tired of your FZ/MT and want a different bike? Ditto the previous suggestion about going with a recognizable brand.
(Also, no sense leaving an expensive exhaust system or other exotic aftermarket parts on a bike when you sell it because those items rarely increase resale value. You’ll just end up giving them away with the bike.)

Looking to seriously increase horsepower? Then sell your FZ/MT-07, combine the proceeds with your exhaust budget and buy a larger-displacement motorcycle. A new exhaust, tune and shipping for your current bike will cost you $1000 and net you 5 horsepower, whereas your bike plus that same $1000 will get you an FZ/MT-09 with an additional 45 ponies and much better suspension.

Regardless of the system you choose, keep in mind that if the new hardware alters exhaust flow, you’re going to need to have the ECU flashed or find some other way to adjust fueling to compensate or your performance will suffer. So be sure to factor in at least another $250 plus 2-way shipping costs to cover that service. 

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 8

If it was me, I'd likely have the custom one made.  I'd find the measurements for some of the known systems, OD at the head, OD at the collector, collector size, and head pipe lengths, then have one made.  I'd do it just to be different.   Of course since I like flat track I'd probably have a slick 2 into 2 with an equalizer pipe made, with twin megaphone mufflers.  I'd also have a decent set of mufflers so it wasn't so loud as to irritate everyone within ear shot.   But that's me...   I wouldn't do it for the performance gain, because there wouldn't be enough to matter.

I bought a Delkevic full exhaust with the 18" muffler and it has perfect tone, like a muffled Yamaha twin flat tracker.  Quiet enough that the police won't turn a head, nor will people have their conversations interrupted when I go by, even accelerating harder.  I did it for the look and that nice tone.   For performance I'm doing suspension.

Found their site, looks pretty decent.  Wish they'd been near me.

Barker Motorcycle Systems

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, klx678 said:

... I'd do it just to be different. ...

I love that reason!

I know a lot of motorcyclists who say they’re upgrading their exhaust systems “to be different” when in reality, they buy something that looks like what everybody else has, meaning they really just want “to be the same.”

But designing something totally unique? I respect that approach. 

Ironically, with aftermarket pipes being so popular, a rider can be different by simply sticking with the stock exhaust. 

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

My first step was buying a bike that made me think flat track, the XSR 700 was the closest there was and I liked the general look.  Not many do.  Making some changes that require some work, like the tail light and making up brackets for the shorter headlight bucket, that's still the hardboard prototyping, the real thing is on its way, acrylic plexiglass, not alloy.  Lucas style tail light, keeping the rear fender to keep the crap off my back.  Flat track bars in the garage to be installed.  I think you'd like this one a bit, even though probably not your style.

I went with an old school exhaust look with the full can out the back ending at the back wheel.  I figure if the longer exhaust was good enough for the Palhegyi street tracker it was probably good enough for me.  I'd have done twin flat track pipes, but it was too experimental, risky, getting one of the Ebay headers, then getting mid pipes and a couple reverse cone megaphones, not knowing how it would perform or sound.   If I had a company  making pipes just down the road from me I'd been knocking on their door and talk it over.

I contacted Delkevic to verify sound levels and whether there need be reflashing, which they said would be around 96 dB and no reflash.   You won't see too many like it, because it is too long, not current short under the bike, and from what I've heard in most all videos, too quiet.  It has the quiet core in it and I got the "quieter core" too, in case it was too loud.

I ended up with this set up.  It sounds like a muffled version of the flat track bikes.  Oddly enough the twin straps crossing work well holding the pipe out a bit from the swingarm.

bike.jpg

So, not quite like all the "loud pipes" guys.  I'm not betting too many FZ, MT, or XSR riders have that length exhaust on their bikes.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, klx678 said:

My first step was buying a bike that made me think flat track, the XSR 700 was the closest there was and I liked the general look.  Not many do.  Making some changes that require some work, like the tail light and making up brackets for the shorter headlight bucket, that's still the hardboard prototyping, the real thing is on its way, acrylic plexiglass, not alloy.  Lucas style tail light, keeping the rear fender to keep the crap off my back.  Flat track bars in the garage to be installed.  I think you'd like this one a bit, even though probably not your style.

I went with an old school exhaust look with the full can out the back ending at the back wheel.  I figure if the longer exhaust was good enough for the Palhegyi street tracker it was probably good enough for me.  I'd have done twin flat track pipes, but it was too experimental, risky, getting one of the Ebay headers, then getting mid pipes and a couple reverse cone megaphones, not knowing how it would perform or sound.   If I had a company  making pipes just down the road from me I'd been knocking on their door and talk it over.

I contacted Delkevic to verify sound levels and whether there need be reflashing, which they said would be around 96 dB and no reflash.   You won't see too many like it, because it is too long, not current short under the bike, and from what I've heard in most all videos, too quiet.  It has the quiet core in it and I got the "quieter core" too, in case it was too loud.

I ended up with this set up.  It sounds like a muffled version of the flat track bikes.  Oddly enough the twin straps crossing work well holding the pipe out a bit from the swingarm.

bike.jpg

So, not quite like all the "loud pipes" guys.  I'm not betting too many FZ, MT, or XSR riders have that length exhaust on their bikes.

Nice!

I like the longer cans because you can quiet the bike without choking the exhaust with the typical baffles used in stubby cans.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

• Premium Member
On 5/6/2021 at 7:40 PM, BahleG said:

Looking at aftermarket exhausts and most of exhaust are on the pricey side. I found a brand called Black Widow Exhausts which are a cheaper alternative but look very good too and from reviews they are reputable, I guess.

Where I live I'll have to get it shipped to my location which means I'll have to fork out about $500 and maybe a decent amount of waiting time. I recently found a local company that makes custom motorcycle exhausts and they've been at it since 2018 from what I can see. Many positive reviews from happy customers. Cost for the MT-07 was quoted for $315-$389.

Yes.  I would go custom.

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

1 hour ago, blackout said:

Nice!

I like the longer cans because you can quiet the bike without choking the exhaust with the typical baffles used in stubby cans.  

That was part of my thoughts too.   It really does sound good, just not loud.  It is a pleasant tone for the rider.   I had my son-in-law do a ride by and it's not at all annoying when going by.   

The strap mounts look kind of Mickey Mouse, but it worked nicely.  I did the dual clamps because I wanted to make sure there was good support.  i'd like to do a round stock mount set, but I'm not a welder and I'd need someone to do the work for me.  Maybe later... 

1 hour ago, blackout said:

Yes.  I would go custom.

Absolutely agree.  If I could have a custom exhaust the way I wanted it for under $400 I'd do it in a heart beat.   Like I said, measure up an aftermarket one then have them make one similar.  Of course it looks like they may know all the stuff already.  

On 5/6/2021 at 9:18 PM, BahleG said:

Barker Motorcycle Systems. South Africa 

give them a shot!

I don't think there's much critical science in the aftermarket exhaust systems that are sold for these bikes. I mean, you're not totally gonna screw the pooch if your bends are slightly different compared to another pipe. It's not critical like designed expansion chambers for a smoker.

The headpipes that came with my Arrow exhaust are just like the stock headpipes. These bikes are a bit unique with the entire exhaust system being one piece, so the standard slip-on affair isn't a bolt on option. Had it to do over again I woulda machined up a custom can from billet aluminum, but I was lazy and in a hurry. I vote for the custom pipes, too. Please post back with his they turn out! 

• Like 1

Sunnycalibear

I'd buy the custom exhaust! its something different than what everyone has and its pretty cheap. Especially if its a full exhaust. 

Love my akra carbon though😍

Triple Jim
On 5/6/2021 at 7:40 PM, BahleG said:

Not to me.  I like the very quiet stock system.  When I'm going 55 mph I hear mainly wind.

• Like 1

I know nothing about exhaust design/tuning but I would like to see someone put an x-pipe in the exhaust. I know on some cars it makes a nice difference in sound. However the fact that this is not a 180 crank makes me think it would make no real sense unless you did something with the header lengths. Or maybe it would have a nice burble like the boxer engines with the unequal headers.