The MT-07 Forum

How much Power do turn signals use?

itsRambally

itsRambally

Good day fellow Members. My bike came with some eBay turn signals which of course became dead after a few weeks. I am going to purchase a integrated taillight but in the mean time I removed the Turn signals due to it not functioning ( I know the dangers of this but don't ride my bike daily). I'm wondering how much power the wires that go to the Turn Signals draw, would electric tape be good enough to prevent any hazards?

The wires themselves don’t draw any power but the OEM turn signals originally attached to them drew 10 watts each at 12 volts and are protected by a 10-amp fuse.

I don’t know how much power your new integrated taillight will draw. You’ll have to look for that data on the manufacturers website or on the product packaging. I would imagine, though, that since aftermarket taillights are model-specific, the unit you buy will be designed to work with the amount of power available, meaning the OEM wiring should provide sufficient power to run the new setup without melting any wires, if that’s what had you concerned.

Electrical tape will suffice for this task if you securely join the wires and thoroughly wrap the joint area with the electrical tape. However you’ll get a much stronger, more reliable and more professional-looking connection that’s waterproof if you solder the wires together and protect the joint with heat shrink sleeves. This may sound like a pain in the neck but it’s surprisingly easy to do and the materials required to do it are cheap. If you don’t already know how, this is a good time to learn.

I am of the opinion that if someone is going to work on their own bike, they need to get in the habit of doing things right. Motorcycles are dangerous enough when properly maintained but become super-dangerous when riders cut corners on repairs, maintenance and mods — and that includes wiring.

In this situation, however, you may not need to splice any wires. All of the aftermarket taillights I’ve owned have come with electrical connectors that match the corresponding connectors on the bike’s wiring harness. Are your bike’s OEM connectors still intact?

SPECS FROM FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL:

C02DD89C-625E-40D5-AD16-220770D60755.thumb.jpeg.08f949d33d1a793d84e499028c47f4af.jpeg

EDE54AA8-7C07-422B-9888-AF6649AC397A.jpeg.6df6ddc5a30375a68190e1119fe34880.jpeg

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Please don't use only electrical tape. It will not lead to a lasting connection.

If you don't want to use the most basic of soldering skills along with some shrink tubing, try these heat shrinkable all in one type connectors available under many brand names:

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, itsRambally said:

Good day fellow Members. My bike came with some eBay turn signals which of course became dead after a few weeks. I am going to purchase a integrated taillight but in the mean time I removed the Turn signals due to it not functioning ( I know the dangers of this but don't ride my bike daily). I'm wondering how much power the wires that go to the Turn Signals draw, would electric tape be good enough to prevent any hazards?

Yes, electrical tape would prevent a short just fine.  

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York